T-56 speed conversion kit to be made

Chad

Ryan, no it's not opened, and I do not have a running setup yet.  

I am trying to time this so  once it is ready to test, i can give results and offer a part very soon after, I don't want this GP to drag on forever leaving members hanging.  

I want every customer to have a set in their hands before spring break, maybe sooner.

Late January.

But some questions about mass.  How much does the flywheel assembly weigh (from crank to clutch)?  I imagine it gets pretty heavy.  I"m sure somebody can weight the SQ flywheel, PP can clutch to compare.  The mass is on the outter region.. so that hurts even more.  Polar moments and all that good stuff.  I've read some papers on the topic and it makes a BIG difference in acceleration.. something like several ounces off the rotating mass equaling several hundred pounds of weight reduction to the car.  Just trying to stir things up sooner rather than later.  I'd hate to jump into a $600 kit only to find that v2.0 is 20lbs lighter and also cheaper.

As always... I speak for the 4G63s

Those using a stock flywheel will need to have it milled down on the back for adapter plate clearance (a recent discovery).  I have an HKS flywheel and a fidanza, they both are ~11 #'s.  Stock is about 36 #'s, and a milled stocker comes in arround 21-23 #'s.  The shim is expected to weigh about 5 pounds, but most of the wieght is on the outter edge.  

It would be like a lightened stocker weighing near stock, and a ultralight weighing just less than a lightened stocker does.  

This is also going to be compounded by the larger gear masses inside the transmissoin, but it won't effect gear changes (a big difference gained from lightened flywheels).  The bulk of the shim is aluminum, the only steel is the replacable friction surface, and the bolts.  Stock GM clutch wieghts are within ounces of stock clutches, and there is a company that makes lightened GM pressure plates.

DJ

I am in on this GP, looks great. We'll have to find these clutches and other parts for a discount. My brother works at Dana Driveshaft Division, so that may be a possibility. As for the clutches I will talk to some of my distributors and see what kind of deals we can get.

peace,

Kevin

Thats great Kevin, whatever anyone can do to lower prices is good with me.  I got the driveline quote from Inland Empire, if you can find a similar built quality (900+ HP) using the 1350 U-joints let me know.

Same for the clutches, I'm sure some one with better connections can get better pricing on the clutches than I.   I have not done a lot of research on them, but on the LT-1 forums Spec has a real bad reputation.  

Well , thats simple !! I can do wholesale ( or maybe less )  for everyone in this GB if it can take place before the new year !!!!  I want my car done for this winter and I'm just too busy to take any tome out to invest into making a kit like this so I'm willing to do my part for this to take place .

I will get my T-56 in just a few days and would like to know whats going on by then  if possible . All I'll need from Chad are the part  #'s he needs and its done !!!!!

DJ, you can varry the total cost a great deal on how you shop

My T56 was $1000 with a new clutch

Kit is $600

950 HP Driveline is $500

I will reuse the light flywheel I already have, and I'm done for $1900.

If I didn't have the flywheel and clutch,  I could can get a lightweight flyeheel for ~$300, and a good 680 HP clutch for ~$400, that would add $700 so you would be into it for $2600.

Some T56's in good shape have gone for ~$500, and clutches can be ~$200 if you are making less than 400 HP.  The driveline can also be gotten cheaper is you will run less than 500 HP, I figure more like $250.  that would shave $850 off te price.

OK, the funding for the prototype phase is secure, I will be making the kits for R&D in the comming weeks and will have it fully tested and running by the end of December on my car, and hopefuly 2 others (asuming their installs goes well).  The GP will be Officialy open on January 1, and will be open for 1 month.   On February 1, I will take no more orders.

If you would like to place the $200 deposit now(so you don't spend it elsewhere ;)), it will be fully refundable untill the GP is officaly open on January 1.  If before then you decide you want out, you get the $200 back and yor participation in the GP becomes void.  

If you want to pay in full $600, the same rules apply.  If you pay in full, you do so in the knowledge that this is not yet a proven product, refunds will be given up to the open date on January 1, at which point you own your kit.

Once the GP is open on January 1, the prepaid deposits are kept towards purchase.  Once opened, any deposit recived is placed towards purchase and is not refundable.  Final payment MUST be made within 2 weeks after the close of the GP on February 1.  I will ship them in order of FINAL payment, so if you want one quickly, pay now.  If you can wait or don't have the $$ now, you have several months to get it together.

If for some reason there are not atleast 2 running kits, the opening of the GP will be delayed untill such has occured.  Deposits remain refundable untill the kit is proven.

I will take paypal payments at chad86tsi@yahoo.com, but you MUST add 3% to cover the paypal fees (those fees ate me alive on the magna GP  >:( )

Moneyorders and checks can be sent to :

Chad Samuel

3628 NE West Devils Lake Rd

Lincoln City OR 97367

please include your full name, screen name, and shipping address.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok for all you guys wondering about the speedo  head here http://www.keislerauto.com .  They have been doing the T56 swap for years now and have a way of putting a speedo gear on a T56.   As for the T56 I have rebuilt many of these boxes and the only problem is with the 3-4 shift fork.   I think in 01 they fixed it with a steel fork but I really dont remember.   You can get a up dated fork from  http://www.rsgear.com/.  The box is not that hard to do but you need a special gear puller to take it apart.  As for a shorter shifter check out http://pro50shifters.meridian1.net/default.asp .  

• 2 weeks later...
Chad, I would be interested in purchasing the adapter plate only. If you could send me a pic and a price that would be great. The adapter plate have the large GM dowels already dialed in and installd? I am looking to adapt a th350 or 700r4 and if the price is right your adapter plate could save me some time and money. Thanks Jason

• 2 weeks later...

88flipstaron, I'll add you to the list.

As for a timeline, there have been some material supply problems that have held up the prototyping process, both availability and cost.  

It is an expensive project to fund  ;)  the good news is that everything is finaly paid for and not on it's way  ;D  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...