T-56 speed conversion kit to be made

Chad

This is the finnished product.

http://webpages.charter.net/catsamuel/r-P5170001.JPG

I hope to release the kit mid June now that I have this last part worked out. I will be swaping in the new diff this week so I can log some miles on my kit, and Ivan will be runnign the optional master/slave combo so we'll have those options sorted out too.

That's nice. Send me the line when you get a chance :wink:

and now the steel version:

http://webpages.charter.net/catsamuel/P5190008-r.JPG

more pics:

http://webpages.charter.net/catsamuel/P5190006-r.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/catsamuel/P5190007-r.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/catsamuel/P5190009-r.JPG

it takes about the same time and raw material cost to make the steel one, so the end cost is going to be the same. It's about twice the wieght however. Strenght is likely the same, if not less due to less bulk. What ever it's brake point is, it's easily 3X's more than a stock one :wink: and you can go to any corner parts store and get new U-joints.

I've pined this one also, the stock setup uses the shoulders of the stock bolts to pin the 2 parts together. My design does not work with that method, so the additonal pins are nessesary to prevent thread damage. In the long run, this is a stronger way to attach anyway.

I'll be releasing 5 kits in a week or two.

I'm putting a new diff in my car over this 3 day weekend so I can drive it again, and I'll swap out the clutch/flyweel combo. That will be the last of the testing I need to do.

This has been a very long project with many turns in it, but I'm glad I didn't release it too soon. I can now offer a better (and easier to make) kit than what i was doing at first. that means it will also be more affordable.

More importantly, there will be various options for different budgets and aplications.

• 2 weeks later...

The R&D phase is complete, the kits are ready to release :D/

I've discovered a problem with the fidanza we had made, Ivan had clearance issues with it, and I installed mine 2 days ago. Turns out the recess that makes the flywheel hubcentric is too shallow, placing the flywheel too close to the clutch fork. I told fidanza to make the crank side of the flywheel identical to the OEM sysle flywheel, but they did not. I have a OEM style fidanza, and it is not this shallow, they messed up on the program somewhere.

I measured my OEM style fidanza, the HKS flywheel I have, and 3 stock flywheels. Here is what I found:

Depth of crank hub ring:

.2005"

.1740"

.1445"

.1025"

I came up with the difference of .0715" between this T56 flywheel and the HKS one I used for prototyping.

the good news, it's an easy fix, I took an additional .070" off that recess with my lathe, it only took a few minutes. I bolted it up and the rest is history 8) I did find that this flwyeel recess is too narrow too, this is a common problem with all fidanzas, this is supposed to be an interfearnce fit, but theirs is a bit too tight for me, so I took ~.002" off mine since it was already in my lathe, but the rest of you will be fine to use them as-is, I just don't like fighting an overly tight hub ring.

I'm going to offer choice of steel or aluminum pinion adapters,

choice of a stock master/slave adapter bracket, or a GM style master/slave combo option using a new tilton master (to be used with a OEM GM slave), new lines and bracketry.

I've decided not to do this in GP format, that means holding up items for memebers that are ready when others are not. I'll just offer them for sale and those who can, will purchase them when ready. I'l start a new thread in the "parts for sale" section when I have my pricing all sorted out.

One nice side note, I found a clutch that is only twice the effort of a bone stock clutch, and it rated for 800 HP :twisted: It' doens't chatter a single bit and is easy to slip for street use. It's the easiest race clutch I've ever driven, and this this wont' ever slip 8) . It's a bit spendy, but damn this thing rocks. =D>

• 7 years later...

Chad's been missing in action for several years despite all efforts & previous contact with him to get one of his kits. I ended up tracking down an unused kit to go along with the T56 Fidanza. It's mostly installed now, but my tuner found several things to NOT line up properly from the kit.

Had a custom spacer plate made via CNC

Remade slave mount

Remade trans cross mount

I put out a few feelers & did not get enough interest to warrant efforts to copy this kit & make available. That would require somebody to do a run of custom Fidanzas. They'd make a run of 10-15 miniumum last I heard. The last run in mid 2000s ate up shelf space and did not sell well, leading to that company dropping prices significantly to unload the last few. Good for a few of us, bad for them and harder to get another to spring for the run.