Windows 10

TexasQuest

So far I like windows 10. BUT, you have to go through and turn off all the spying crap that's built into it. Not only spying but microsoft can use your computer like a torrent machine to send updates to other computers using your processing power and your internet bandwidth. Thatnkfully there is an option to turn that off.

This video goes over some of the privacy concerns and how to shut them down.

• Like 1

Nope, Linux Ubuntu.

MY MAN! Linux huh, you a h@x07 like me? I'm running Kali Linux, it's a penetration testing distro.

Dudes, uninstall the Win10 upgrade right now if you care at all about your privacy. 10 introduces a long list of tracking and monitoring features, you can find 13 pages of these settings in your control panel but even if you turn it all off, there are still three processes still talking to MS and relaying your usage data. We're talking about data on literally every thing you do on the computer. It seems to be the whole purpose of Win 10, which is basically Win 8.1 without the tile screen.

Nothing good from MS is free, the cost is the data you are providing to them, which is far more valuable that the $200-ish price tag usually associated with past Windows versions. This is where things are headed but sticking with Win7 is where it's at right now. Enterprise / business is not going to 10, and there is no enterprise version yet due to the fact that businesses don't want their confidential info sent to Microsoft and need assurances about that. We consider that a security flaw or backdoor. If you like Windows, I suggest Win 7 Professional or Enterprise only, because these versions have the BitLocker encryption built in without all the spying.

Or, go Linux like me and Malykaii and stop worrying about any of these problems. ;)

Edited by Fuze

I love windows 10, all my computers run it, far easier to work on at the shop too.

Their idea is, get as many people running it as they can, then have you buy a subscription for stuff like office, or make you buy the old solitaire game that's no longer included. They believe there is more profit to be made charging subscriptions than the upfront purchase. However after 1 year you will have to buy 10, but even then it's less than half the cost of predecessors

Updated my Windows 8 computer with it, no issues yet. But when I tried to update my lady's Windows 7 computer had all kinds of problems including losing internet and a flashing screen.

Colin

Edited by carguygibby

MY MAN! Linux huh, you a h@x07 like me? I'm running Kali Linux, it's a penetration testing distro.

My laptop case is covered in duct tape, one hinge is a door hinge, sheet rock screws hold it together, blah blah. So remember my Montero from the meet? Well the exterior of my laptop is like my truck, a complete hack job. So does that make me a hacker?

And when you open the truck hood, it's just a stock g54 at 7psi. My software is the same. The latest version of Ubuntu. I usually don't even change the desktop image.

Been trying to get it and I'm wondering why it's so slow. My laptop is old, but my internet is fast. I am excited though.

I installed it on my old windows 7 laptop that I've had for 5/6 years and it actually runs much faster now. I was quite surprised. I was getting ready to try and duel boot linex on it because it was running so slow, but now i don't have too.

Been trying to get it and I'm wondering why it's so slow. My laptop is old, but my internet is fast. I am excited though.

It's faster if you manually do it. Google "windows 10 media creator" download the 32 or 64 bit program matching your computer.

When you run it, it will ask if you want to upgrade this computer or create a ISO to upgrade another. Choose this computer, then let it do its thing

Since my windows 10 upgrade I keep getting bsod and locks up with critical error

Download the creation tool I mentioned earlier, and perform a "upgrade" it will reupgrade. I have seen a lot of issues with 10 installing through windows update

best to do a clean install

after a couple months with 10 on my lap top I have found several things , like it wants to run programs in new browser that you ran before with out you telling it to , also you no longer have a choice to check fot up dates

finding and turning off unwanted programs can be a pain

my biggest [problem is if they give you the software , why offer you help , getting help for software you paid $200 for was less then fun , ;) what going to be ttheir reason for helping ou when you

got it for free

I have been playing wit ms b software for 30 yrs

best to do a clean install

after a couple months with 10 on my lap top I have found several things , like it wants to run programs in new browser that you ran before with out you telling it to , also you no longer have a choice to check fot up dates

finding and turning off unwanted programs can be a pain

my biggest [problem is if they give you the software , why offer you help , getting help for software you paid $200 for was less then fun , ;) what going to be ttheir reason for helping ou when you

got it for free

I have been playing wit ms b software for 30 yrs

if you go in windows updates, and click the "check for updates" button, it checks for updates lol

I got it all installed and I like it better than 7. It takes a little getting used to, but that's probably normal. I'm not afraid of usage statistics being sent to Microsoft. I don't care if they know the location of my computer. If I want privacy, I turn off my computer and phone and experience real life.

My laptop case is covered in duct tape, one hinge is a door hinge, sheet rock screws hold it together, blah blah. So remember my Montero from the meet? Well the exterior of my laptop is like my truck, a complete hack job. So does that make me a hacker?

Pretty much, lol hackers just see the hidden options. You know what most don't, that you can run a fully modern FREE OS on an old clunker and hang with new Win 10 laptops. Oh, and you don't really have to worry about the whole virus/malware thing. I don't mind the standard desktop either. ;)

I'm sticking with 7 on most of my machines for now. Don't like that 10 does updates on it's terms rather than on mine.

Have Ubuntu installed on an old XP machine we use for server backups via rsync, tho. Love it.

• Like 1