Speak english

jmactenn

Doesn't it bother you when people say" This is America, speak English." Are they referring to North America, South America or the America's in general? Or did they really mean the United States. I'm really talking about our presidential canidates. Edited by jmactenn

Doesn't it bother you when people say" This is America, speak English." Are they referring to North America, South America or the America's in general? Or did they really mean the United States. I'm really talking about our presidential canidates.

No, it bothers me when they say this is America so you should speak spanish.

Have you spoken to anyone from the UK? We're so far from "English" it should be called Ameriglish.

I think rather than begging for the candidates to be more specific about what nation they are running for, maybe you should go back to school. Then you can focus on real problems.

Edited by Funky Phil

To the OP, I know exactly what you're talking about. Anyone who has ever been to the rest of the Americas would know they refer to the states as The United States, not America. More commonly in Mexico and some parts of Central America they also referr to The United States as "el norte" or "The North".

Referring to the States as "America" is an ethnocentric notion in this country. It don't bother me as I understand the hostorical context behind it.

What I do mind is when its used in a biggot context. But in general, its no big deal.

Edited by louswheel
  • Like 1

We don't have a national language which is an issue. We may all speak English but there is no language set in stone as the official language of our country.

Obviously it is time to change it. Without a definition of who we are or what we want to be then of course people will come in to make our country something we don't want! I took Spanish in high school because in the grand scheme of things, it is good to know it being surrounded by Spanish speaking countries.

People get upset about people not speaking english but at the same time those people dont get upset at our government taking our freedoms and selling our country to the highest bidder.

Edited by Turbo Cary

I don't have a problem with who speaks what. As a 15 year Army vet I have spent over 10 years overseas in some great places like Italy and Germany. Toured all over Europe in the late 60s. I found most Europeans spoke english (taught in schools,) BUT unless you first tried to speak their language they acted like they didn't understand. Once you tried they came around. Of course my time in sunny southeast Asia was a different story unless it involved money, then they spoke english in a broken fashion. I have a great many friends from ALL the countries I was stationed in, Asia included.

The point of the original post was last time I looked at a map, Mexico, Canada and all the countries in South America are in "America", It's not limited to the United States. That someone who wants to be our president would want everyone in America to speak english is foolish.

Edited by jmactenn
  • Like 1

We don't have a national language which is an issue. We may all speak English but there is no language set in stone as the official language of our country.

Obviously it is time to change it. Without a definition of who we are or what we want to be then of course people will come in to make our country something we don't want! I took Spanish in high school because in the grand scheme of things, it is good to know it being surrounded by Spanish speaking countries.

People get upset about people not speaking english but at the same time those people dont get upset at our government raping our freedoms and selling our country to the highest bidder.

In your last statement lies the real scary political conditions we are witnessing.

Not to get political, but to mirror the thought. In this country, citizens and canidates alike get caught up on all the little details. There are some serious problems in this country everyone!

Devisive and distractionary tactics are used to preoccupy the general public and shift away our focus from the real problems. This is no accident, this is tactical.

Oh I know it's intentional. This country was about freedom and the American dream. Its now a country of hate.

Example, minimum wage increase got brought up here. Instead of celebrating together the fact that wages for all will have to increase, we were all turned against eachother. People started calling fast food workers lowlifes who don't deserve what they even have.

Well, that generated some good feedback. All opinions are valid, thank you. What shall the next rant be about.Wanna be leaders that don't know the difference between Quds and Kurds maybe, or news people (readers,) who don't know what they are reading. We'll see, stay tuned. Maybe I can find a way to replace hondadude, I miss him.