3000 miles in 2 days

CarlosFley

Hey guys, I need help from you guys that have successfully completed crosscountry roadtrips in your StarQuests. I am planning on making the trip soon, from California's Bay Area to Jacksonville, Florida, and I want to complete it in the shortest amount of time possible. According to Google maps it is approximately 39-40 hours of non-stop driving, so I want to try and make it in 48 hours, compensating for sleep and fill ups, and a bit of rest. Now, me I'm not worried about. My pretty(to be read: ugly) little Diamond('87 TSI) on the other hand is what I'd like your guys' help on. I've heard it's not safe to run a car for that long of a time non stop? What do you guys know about that? Also, what tools, parts, etc. should I bring along with me to kinda have my own back as far as maintenance and break downs go? Anything you guys suggest I check? Any and I literally mean ANY kind of tips are welcome as this will be my first roadtrip in my baby. Just please keep from discouraging me from going through with this as that's really the last thing I'd like to hear, especially from an awesome crowd like y'all here at SQC.com are. Thank you :P

I drove an '83 Starion from Portland to Vegas to Baltimore in under 3 days a few years ago. 3700 miles almost non stop. Only brought a small tool kit which wasn't needed.

Ohh wow, that's really good. How many miles did your 83 already have? Mine has 93k. Was it all stock? Thanks so much for the input.

I'd suggest a decent collection of basic tools, multimeter, a decent length of wire, a wire coat hanger, duct tape, a gallon of distilled water, some misc parts that others will definitely suggest here, and finally I'd suggest getting AAA service for the trip. It could really save you.

Oh and to make it in 48 i always drive leaving at night so when the sun comes up i get a energy boost. Then i drive that day and sleep 8 hours that night and wake up and drve 24 hours or more straight to my deztination

I Always give myself 1000$ to spen on the trip. Normally only spend 600. I. A sq you stop for gas about 22 times. But i always stop and talk go people whenever i get the urge to or get drowsey

Ohh wow, that's really good. How many miles did your 83 already have? Mine has 93k. Was it all stock? Thanks so much for the input.

It was all stock with a recently rebuilt motor. The only time the car was turned off was for gas 13 times and I slept for a few hours in Nevada the first day.

Do a full service on it, complete tune stuff, all fluids including trans/ rear differential.

Replace those blasted heater hoses on the back of the engine, 3 of them and just for kicks and giggles, the thermostat.

Make sure brakes are good and you have good tires. Dry or worn out tires are a bad mix on a road trip.

Other than that, take a couple spare parts, black knock box, belts just in case and some basic hand tools and a jack, a real jack not the one that comes with the car.

My daughter drove the '87 from Humboldt County California to Las Vegas in one shot, loaded with 2 passengers and all their crap. She flogged it the whole way through!

That '87 didn't even hiccup on her in the 925 mile trip from Humboldt to LA to Vegas.

It was all stock with a recently rebuilt motor. The only time the car was turned off was for gas 13 times and I slept for a few hours in Nevada the first day.

you forgot to mention the 20 cans of "Monster" energy drinks you consumed .

If you've done your routine maintenance you won't have any issues. I've been up, down, East and West in two of my Starquests with my longest stretch of uninterrupted driving at 1200 miles (so close, had to get home). I blew a water pump belt once crossing the OK/TX state line, quick call to AAA and I was back on the road in 2 hrs. You can still get belts, tools and help at any auto parts store in the US. The only thing I carried was the mentioned AAA card and a credit card (and my golf clubs). I've found it helps to stop every 200 miles just to get out, but then I'm getting old.

If you've done your routine maintenance you won't have any issues. I've been up, down, East and West in two of my Starquests with my longest stretch of uninterrupted driving at 1200 miles (so close, had to get home). I blew a water pump belt once crossing the OK/TX state line, quick call to AAA and I was back on the road in 2 hrs. You can still get belts, tools and help at any auto parts store in the US. The only thing I carried was the mentioned AAA card and a credit card (and my golf clubs). I've found it helps to stop every 200 miles just to get out, but then I'm getting old.

Some people have the stamina for driving long distances, I don't. So it's not necessarily age.

I can do 200 to 250 miles in one strecth. But I get real antsy after 200 miles.

Here's a link about what Starquesters carry on their long Starquest trips. It's from 2009 but it still applies.

http://www.starquest...ghterpilot&st=0

I have put about 300K miles on the Old Broad during long distance road trips since 2006 - she now has about 475K miles on her. Even tho I was meticulious about her maintenance since she was brandy new, and made sure that she was the in the best shape she could be in before we took off on the long distance road trips - crap still happened.

For instance: just replaced, Cardine rebuilt, engine coolant pump seal suddenly decided to disintigrate at 2 AM on I - 16 at 2 AM in the morning, in the middle of nowhere, half way between Macon and Savannah GA; coolant pump/alternator drive belt delaminating on the Going To The Sun Hwy in Glacier Intl Peace Park in MT, that belt had less than 2K miles on it - had a spare belt; a new coolant thermostat stuck causing the Old Broad's engine to JUST start running warmer than usual in the middle of TN at about 8 PM - removed the thermostat in a truck stop and topped off the coolant system with the coolant mix that I always carry; starter solenoid took a sudden dump in Big Sur Park in CA - replaced the starter with the spare that I carried; Mom & Pop rebuilt alternator diode ( about 5K miles on it) took a dump at Zion National Park in UT - replaced with the spare alternator that I carried; main power wiring downstream of fusible link box 2 going to the Ignition Switch burnt up in St Augustine FL - had full set of new fusible links, some spare wiring of the right size & temp. wiring crimp connectors to patch the circuit wiring enough to get the Old Broad back home when I completely tore apart the wiring system's harnesses and figured out what the root cause of the problem was; radiator primary fan relay decided to go to Starquest heaven in Casper WY - had a spare relay which I installed; 5 speed tranny back up lite switch shorted out, causing the circuit which supplies sensing voltage to the alternator to go out cuz it's fuse blew (#14 in the fuse box under the dash) and kept on blowing everytime I put her into reverse, until I cut the wire coming directly off of the BU lite switch. - had a box of fuses and the FSM with me.

There were more unexpected off the wall problems that occured during the 35 to 45 trips in 9 years of long distance driving. The amount of miles that I put on her during the years taught me to be prepared for anything even tho I took precautions before I left on the trips. But 9 out of 10 of the long road trips, I had no problems at all!

BTW - I don't carry the amount of tools and parts around with me during local driving anymore cuz I now have Allstate Motor Club's Emergency Road Service to get me and the Old Broad back home to her "nest" in the garage. Haven't had to use it though.

Next month I'm driving her down to Savannah Ga & back (about 700 miles) to prepare & ship, via car carrier, my '66 Charger to my oldest daughter out in Salt Lake City UT to be restored; perhaps in July the round trip to Pigeon Forge TN for PF 15 (about 250 miles) and then Definitely a round trip to Salt Lake City from Atlanta (about 4.5 K miles) to "bird dog" the Charger's restoration. I plan on doing nothing but change/check her fluids, flush the brake/clutch systems and replace her left rear tire cuz it's getting a little too close for comfort to the max thread wear marks to safely last the above projected future mileage.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

One more thing I have to do before the Pigeon Forge round trip - replace the TB shaft seals.

i drove from NY to Las Vegas non stop 29 hours only stop was for gas and any fast food near the gas station.

i didnt sleep in any hotels just had a co pilot with me. we took turns driving. 2550 miles. stopped in Vegas then

went to california 5 1/2 hours to a car meet, car was fine no issues oil level was good. drove back to Las Vegas.

ended up staying there for 4 years.

Carlos, I'm not trying to discourage you, but I think your goal's not too realistic. If this is your first cross country trip in a car, please allow yourself a lot more time than 48 hrs., just to be safe, say like 3 1/2 days to go from point A to point B . A good GPS (Garmin) and a good Atlas should be amongst your preparations, the extra time is to allow for needed rest and varying road/traffic conditions, and unexpected stops/detours. I'd also take a laptop w/me for added communication w/various club members along your route, that may be able to assist you should you need it. That being said, PM me if you'd like help planning your trip, as I drive an 18-wheeler for a living. W.

Wow, I totally did not expect this many responses thanks so much guys! I will def be posting my route when I decide to do it. Reason for the trip is because my girlfriend lives in FL and me not being 21 yet, I can't rent a car if I were to fly out there and I'd hate to bother her family so I thought why not take my other baby girl. I will for sure be doing a major tune up, make sure she's running tip top shape. As far as realistic Wolfquest, you may be right, being as this is my first road trip and I'd rather make it in one piece with a little bit of delay than not make it at all lol. I will be contacting you for sure when I am more determined. Hearing from all of your stories of road trips in your SQ's just makes me feel that much more confident about this trip, thank you all so much :') lol :P