brake booster question

importwarrior

found this dont know what car it came from...

http://projectzerog....f61ecd14589e3f9

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/Professor-Quest123/Catalog%201/P1011391.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/Professor-Quest123/Catalog%201/P1011393.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d182/Professor-Quest123/Catalog%201/P1011425.jpg

Think about a car jack.

A smaller bore on the master allows better braking power with more travel

If we compare it to a jack, if you have a big cylinder on the jack, it's harder to jack up the car, so you use a smaller one.

Smaller takes more travel, but can apply more pressure with less effort because of the ratio.

Of course if you are running something big like 2 pot calipers all way around or 4 pot front, 2 rear, a smaller bore master wouldn't have enough fluid to press it all

Think about a car jack.

A smaller bore on the master allows better braking power with more travel

If we compare it to a jack, if you have a big cylinder on the jack, it's harder to jack up the car, so you use a smaller one.

Smaller takes more travel, but can apply more pressure with less effort because of the ratio.

Of course if you are running something big like 2 pot calipers all way around or 4 pot front, 2 rear, a smaller bore master wouldn't have enough fluid to press it all

Makes sense, I remember that conversation when I was researching it. Seems like a no-brainer if the booster can be eliminated and still have excellent braking.

http://www.chasebays.com/content/products/3535/main.jpg

I wouldn't use anything like that just for the matter that it's a single piston master cylinder. If the front or rear brakes develope a major leak, you'll end up losing all brakes.

The bracket may be fine, but that master cylinder belongs on a clutch.

I wouldn't use anything like that just for the matter that it's a single piston master cylinder. If the front or rear brakes develope a major leak, you'll end up losing all brakes.

The bracket may be fine, but that master cylinder belongs on a clutch.

The point is, that size master is what makes the setup functional. It's a performance part, so like any performance part you have to stay on top of your car's maintenance. From experience I think the stock master is far more likely to fail and cause you to lose your brakes than the likelihood of a huge leak at a caliper, I've had at least 3 masters go bad. I've never used the CB part though so I can't say much more.

The point is, that size master is what makes the setup functional. It's a performance part, so like any performance part you have to stay on top of your car's maintenance. From experience I think the stock master is far more likely to fail and cause you to lose your brakes than the likelihood of a huge leak at a caliper, I've had at least 3 masters go bad. I've never used the CB part though so I can't say much more.

Yeah, I get the point... just throwing out a word of caution. There's a reason cars don't use single piston setups anymore and most racing organizations won't even let the master cylinders share the same reservoir.

Yeah, I get the point... just throwing out a word of caution. There's a reason cars don't use single piston setups anymore and most racing organizations won't even let the master cylinders share the same reservoir.

Sure, good to know.

dual piston masters use one part as the frt brakes and the other as the rear , this is so if one piston leaks it still has another fully functional brake piston , altho if eather frt or rear brakes fail to function properly the result is reduced braking ability

it is a safty design feature not for ability to stop

you may find cars that have set for 5-10 years and still have a full brake petal,, but one time bleeding the brake system and the master is shot,,

this is because of the cyl bore builds up crud and trash over time and sence the piston does not travel the entire bore length it has no effect on the piston seals,,but once the piston travels the entire cyl length such as when bleeding the brakes , the seal may be damaged by the crud built up on the bottom of the cyl bore and ,make it no longer able to make a seal, thus unable to make pressure

brake petal height is controlled mainly by the rear system piston,, the frt brake

piston is mounted on a heavy spring , you will never have a full brake petal stroke

if the rear brakes are not air free and properly adjusted

good brakes but low petal is a sign of improperly adjusted rear brake system

Edited by Shelby