How to identify 1989 transmission?

ivailo76

Johnny nailed it, the 89's have a waffle style aluminum lower pan, the rest are a stamped steel type. (I'm pretty sure he bought my old one lol.) This is a lot of why the 89's are "stronger", the case is more rigid from the thincker pan.

You shouldn't have to use the 240mm flywheel/clutch, but it's a good upgrade. FYI if you stick with the 225mm flywheel, the clutch interchanges with a Turbo-II RX-7.

bigger imput shaft and out put shaft.....

Same size on the shafts. Perhaps somewhere inside maybe. But they are the same on the drive line side and on the clutch side. And they use the same size bearings as well. I have had an 87 and 89 apart side by side.

Edited by JohnnyWadd

Same size on the shafts. Perhaps somewhere inside maybe. But they are the same on the drive line side and on the clutch side. And they use the same size bearings as well. I have had an 87 and 89 apart side by side.

Roger that.

Actually the 86-87 intercooled trans is stronger than the older versions. The 83-85 non intercooled trans is the same strength as a mighty max trans. Mighty max and d50 guys use parts from 86-89 SQ trans to beef up theirs.

I've hear the question asked many times but still haven't seen anything other than the thicker more rigid 89 pan to suggest any differences in strength across the years. On a non-88-89 trans you can always swap the thicker pan on, or use a TuffPan like I did which is much more rigid than the waffle pan.

I've hear the question asked many times but still haven't seen anything other than the thicker more rigid 89 pan to suggest any differences in strength across the years. On a non-88-89 trans you can always swap the thicker pan on, or use a TuffPan like I did which is much more rigid than the waffle pan.

All I have seen personally is the thinner gears. 5th IIRC. I Had some d-50 5 speeds apart too. The case is different in spots. I believe it is to reduce flex so the gears stay in mesh.

From what I have read we are looking at for the 1988 and up having a sealed bearing versus an open one, a tougher plate on the main bearing gear, addition of a blocker ring on reverse, and a thicker pan. I assume they where engineering less flex with the pan and the thicker bearing plate to keep the main gear teeth in best possible mesh. When the mesh opens up or get misaligned the stress is now on a smaller patch of metal yes?

From what I have seen I can confirm the non sealed bearings and the thinner plate on the older units. Same shaft sizes though. I forgot to look at the reverse blocker ring though.

http://starquest.i-x...opic.php?t=3218

http://www.starquest...ansmission&st=0

"production update" pages..

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/random%20parts/th_prochange1.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z388/starionkiller/random%20parts/th_productionchange2.jpg

Edited by JohnnyWadd
  • Like 1

Yes Johnny stated the main differences. Primarily it consists of a redesigned center bearing and bearing assembly retainer system that has a thick retaining ring used as backup if the main shaft nut looses preload. This is the main feature that makes an 88 or 89 tranny stronger.

There are many other minor differences between 88 and 87 km132 trannies. For instance, The input shaft is different although not in diameter or spline. On the 4th gear, the synchro engage portion is notched to permit easier assembly and removal.

I'll post some pics of what I mean. Yes I agree the input shaft difference has nothing to do with strength. I'll upload a few photos in the next few days when I'm on a real computer and not a phone

If you take a look at the parts catalog you can see how many items have a different part number for 88. Many parts I cannot see any obvious difference but there has to be if it is a different number

I've fully rebuilt an 88 km132. I know it pretty good but I've only partially pulled a part an 87. Would be interesting to put all the parts with different numbers side by side to understand the differences better but honestly I was more concerned with rebuilding the 88 tranny at the time

Will eventually have a rebuild thread on it but I've been saying that for months now

Kev