Winter wheel setup thoughts

speedyquest

Heya guys, I was thinking today about my winter car and I was curious if anyone has experience running 7" fronts on all four corners of the car and using a spacer in the rear to bring it back to its proper position. My thought process on this is the same as how guys use skinnier tires for mudding etc. Am I totally crazy to think that the thinner wheels with some nice blizzak tires would work well in the winter?

Allen

• Like 1

Well I'm all for your thoughts on this one way or the other. What is the reasoning for saying "don't do it"? Are you refering to driving the car in the snow or more specifically the wheel sizes?

For reference, this car IS my winter car : )

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/mangledbmx/775886_10152480976160521_1620994859_o_zps74e72e08.jpg

as long as they are not rubbing on the inside you should be good in the back. Bolt one up and see.

As far as blizacks there over priced and ware out quicker then others I have tried. I like to run a directional wedge cut in the front like a winterforce or similar directional pattern. They tend to cut into the snow better for turning, and I like to run a non directional with lots and lots of the squiggle cuts (that's what really grips on the snow and ice) on the back. While you can put directional on the rear the directional tread and the wedge cut blocks really cut down on surface area for rear traction. Forgot what the current rear snows I have are. You will want to play around with weight, not only how much but where it's located. I would start out putting it as close as possible to over the rear tires.

Thanks for the thoughts jszucs, I know the blizzaks are expensive but I got my set off of craigslist locally for 60.00 for all 4. So thats no issue. As far as weight, last year I did nothing to add weight to the back of the car but I may do that this year. I've read that the blizzaks make a big difference and based on the fact that last year I went all winter with summer performance tires I am confident that it will be a big improvement lol.

What I'm most curious about is running the front 7's on all four corners and using spacers on the rear to bring them out to proper spacing.

Edited by speedyquest

Check with Coke. He was telling me about driving one of his in the snow in upstate NY all last winter on some snow tires. He said even with out adding any weight, that he ran just fine all winter with no troubles. I'm not sure if he stayed on 8s in the rear or not though.

BC_99

Smaller rims around 5-6" wide and snow tires will work better than stock rims. More weight per sq inch of tire touching the ground that way.

Ya good idea. Some steel snow wheels would be sweet. On my car I hade 3, 50 pound sand bags in th eback and firestone winterforce 205/55/16 tires. Worked good.

I got me a WRX for the winter

Well there you go. Better idea! lol. I don't know how you guys can drive these RWD cars in the snow. I've done it with a Ford Expedition and man I swore never again.

If I lived in a place that snows, I'd get a Subaru, coat the hell out of the under carriage, slap some winter tires and call it a day.

Thanks for the thoughts jszucs, I know the blizzaks are expensive but I got my set off of craigslist locally for 60.00 for all 4. So thats no issue. As far as weight, last year I did nothing to add weight to the back of the car but I may do that this year. I've read that the blizzaks make a big difference and based on the fact that last year I went all winter with summer performance tires I am confident that it will be a big improvement lol.

What I'm most curious about is running the front 7's on all four corners and using spacers on the rear to bring them out to proper spacing.

Well that's an epic deal then. The only thing I found that blizzaks had was a higher speed rating then other winter tires which most are rated for 70 and below. And in my exp you really don't want to go much faster then that with true mountain rated winters.

As long as your not going wider then a 215 you should be fine if they throw snow and don't cake up, and are softer and don't get hard in extreme cold. Even grab just a bit of weight like 2 bags kitty liter. Then if you do get stuck you can use kitty litter for traction.

Starions suck in the winter but I drove one for years in the snow. My boy's RX-7 with stock sized tires was awesome in the snow somehow, the tires were skinnier on 7" rims but I think the torque delivery is why he was able to handle the snow so well.