Looks like the FR-S may have some competition...

TexasQuest

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsun 510's were huge in it's days. My uncle had his 510 stolen waaay back in the days, was never found. Until the drift scene came in, you couldn't get someone to spit at a 240sux's.

That revised version is the total opposite of what embodied the 510's, simplicity, yet appealing.

oh thats awesome... the real production car will not look like that at all

but if you can get it to look like that with aftermarket parts i might be interested.

i am not likeing the production as much as the NISMO

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Nissan-IDx-Freeflow-concept-111-626x382.jpg

more pics here

http://hypebeast.com...x-nismo-concept

http://i0.wp.com/hypebeast.com/image/2013/11/nissan-idx-nismo-concept-02.jpg?w=1410

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_ku-xlarge/19cmbd9k9v1t5jpg.jpg

Edited by importwarrior

FR-S BR-Z SUCK especialy for the money...... I'm sorry when you have to put skinny minni tires on a car to make it "feel" fun because you are driving it at the edge...... They don't need to even make compition for it. For the price you could land yourself a used V6 camarro with low miles and better options even with the super cheep palastic GM interior.

FR-S BR-Z SUCK especialy for the money...... I'm sorry when you have to put skinny minni tires on a car to make it "feel" fun because you are driving it at the edge...... They don't need to even make compition for it. For the price you could land yourself a used V6 camarro with low miles and better options even with the super cheep palastic GM interior.

$25k for a brand new well handling sports car, with a ridiculously huge aftermarket already, and you say they suck? Their demograph is young adults. It's direct competition is the Miata - similar weight too ( around 2700-2800lbs ). The tires was never about the "feel" fun - it was to promote fuel economy. The fact that since they are skinny lets it get loose is just a perk. Doesn't make a Corolla or a Prius "feel" fun ( same tires ). Also, skinny tires are more predictable and forgiving on a normal road - less tracking of the wheels. Definitely a perk towards younger drivers.

The Camaro may have better options, but it's likely worse on gas, insurance, it has crap for visibility out the windows, and is really only good for straight lines since its a heavy pig.

I thought this was going to be about the concept kia stinger. I really hope they make the car. It is supposed to be a 320HP turbo four RWD and 2 door. I can't seem to find the post on jalopnik. The 86 twins may be a great car but they are really underpowered, and the best part is to get around the fact that it is underpowered they tried to tie that deficiency into the heritage of he vehicle. Say what you will but they chose that tire with more then just gas mileage in mind. The car has always been advertised as a "drifter" and to achieve that the engineers choose the eco tire which is much harder to give less traction and make the car a lot easier to slide.

I think that is pretty far off the mark. Yeah they run crap tires. But the car's balance translates to higher end tires too. With such tires though you have to go fast to get the same thrills. The stock tires are low grip enought to let the car slide around a bit at lower speeds.

Think of it as a new Elise or M30 M3 with a warranty for $25K and fewer older/rare car headaches. I'd take one way before a V6 Camaro. It is more fun.

The car did a great job taking a ripe market. People who wanted an inexpensive, Incredible handling sports car bought old Miatas and S2000s, good ones are drying up or are getting expensive. Kia, Mazda, Nissan are all seeing the FRS success and either making new products or redesigning to meet the challenge.

Many people say the FRS/BRZ is underpowered, but I don't agree. The power is Ok. It isn't explosive but it does alright. Like any well designed car it can handle more power.

Edited by Cloud81918

I can't believe you think this car is "well handling" A V6 camarro as heavy as it is would pound this car into non existance lap after lap.

My problem is not just with the skinny mini tires it comes with.... it's with the 0 room to fit much bigger at all. Everyone is touting it's "cheep" 25K is not cheep for what your getting. Don't even get me started on ride quality, fit and finish, NOISE..... I mean come on they put a noise tube from the motor bay so you can "hear the motor" this thing is RICE at it's best..... to even call it a "sports car" you should be shot.

Here I got the #'s for you. BRZ FRS 0-60 6.0-6.2 1/4th 15.5.15.7 fuel 19/27 2012 13 camaro 0-60 6.2 1/4th 14.2 and fuel 19/30

During our testing, we recorded a 25.9-second figure-eight run at a 0.67 g average this is utter garbage for a car slung that low, along with all the other stuff they did to lower center of mass and the fact it's RWD that is UTTER garbage especialy at the 25K range. I would put any FRS BRZ even VS my 2007 GTI wihch is FWD and I paid 1/2 the price for the FRS BRZ for that I could easily dump into upgrades and even further pound the FRS BRZ into salt.

Edited by jszucs

How much was that GTI new? I bet it was well over $25k, and that was 7 years ago. Comparing pricing between a new car and a 7 years used one is worse than comparing apples to oranges... you're comparing apples to cheeseburgers LOL

Edited by Burton

How much was that GTI new? I bet it was well over $25k, and that was 7 years ago. Comparing pricing between a new car and a 7 years used one is worse than comparing apples to oranges... you're comparing apples to cheeseburgers LOL

http://farm4.static...._529822af28.jpg

24K IIRC and that is WITH the DSG and is a fahrenheit 1 of 1200 made to boot. could be sub 22K with 6 speed manual that feels 100000X better then the gear box in the FRS BRZ and is a BILLION time nicer in side nicer riding

And to add further insult to injury in the compar.... GETS WAY BETTER MPG even in stock form even on the fed test in the window sticker above ...... after very light mods 2 pipes and retune I have seen up to 41 city.

Edited by jszucs

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1207_high_performance_two_door_comparison/

Figure the Camaro will have similar standings to the Mustang.

Also, most 4 cylinder cars have a sound "symposer" tube. Be it a BMW 3 series, the Focus ST/Fiesta ST, Audi S4, etc. Hell, even the new Boss 302, and even Porsche's have them. Your GTI, rather than have a tube, has a speaker... M5's do it as well I believe ( speakers )

PS - those fed papers don't reflect real world driving. Fuelly ( fueleconomy.gov is down ) shows a V6 Camaro people are averaging 24mpg, and the FRS/BRZ 28. Honestly, it likely has a lot to do with driving style on both parts.

Camaro - http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/camaro/gas%20v6

FRS - http://www.fuelly.com/car/scion/fr-s

BRZ - http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/brz

As for handling - its more Miata related than it is M3 related. Hell, a stock 2013 Miata has a LOT of body roll. Even has a weird double wishbone rear. Is it ideal? Eh - could always be improved upon. I mean for the price of it new, I can go buy a used z06 - but do you want to put a 17 year old in it? I wouldn't. A Miata certainly isn't fast by any means, but damn its fun to throw it into a corner not having to brake.

It has a weird torque curve too

http://www.tune86.com/sites/default/files/pictures_photos/2012/04/scion-frs-dyno.jpg

In short, this video sums it up

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/187imkixjf878gif/ku-medium.gif

Fwiw, the Camaro has horrible, horrible visibility all the way around. I feel like Georgie LaForge from Star Trek trying to see out the windshield.

I can't believe you think this car is "well handling" A V6 camarro as heavy as it is would pound this car into non existance lap after lap.

My problem is not just with the skinny mini tires it comes with.... it's with the 0 room to fit much bigger at all. Everyone is touting it's "cheep" 25K is not cheep for what your getting. Don't even get me started on ride quality, fit and finish, NOISE..... I mean come on they put a noise tube from the motor bay so you can "hear the motor" this thing is RICE at it's best..... to even call it a "sports car" you should be shot.

Here I got the #'s for you. BRZ FRS 0-60 6.0-6.2 1/4th 15.5.15.7 fuel 19/27 2012 13 camaro 0-60 6.2 1/4th 14.2 and fuel 19/30

During our testing, we recorded a 25.9-second figure-eight run at a 0.67 g average this is utter garbage for a car slung that low, along with all the other stuff they did to lower center of mass and the fact it's RWD that is UTTER garbage especialy at the 25K range. I would put any FRS BRZ even VS my 2007 GTI wihch is FWD and I paid 1/2 the price for the FRS BRZ for that I could easily dump into upgrades and even further pound the FRS BRZ into salt.

Performance and handling are 2 different things. Turning performance can be turned into stats; Handling is feel. I will admit to limited time in the FRS/BRZ, but they handle well.

Sure a V6 Camaro will probably beat it on a road course. It has a large power advantage.

If the tires are the problem, then change them. Yeah they are the same ones used on the Prius, but they can be replaced. It is a small car, you can't go much bigger, but it is also a lite car and you don't have to go much bigger, you aren't dealing with 3700 pounds here. a V6 Camaro may pound out laps faster, but I'm not paid to race, consumables are a big deal when tracking a car. The twins should be decent on consumables, certainly cheaper to run than the Camaro.

The ride quality is stiff. But not unlike a Mustang GT with the track package. Actually the ride is very similar to my Starquest with Eibach springs, MK1 bars and poly bushings. It think the interior is Ok. Compared to the Camaro I perfer the FR/BRZ. The view is better. The ergonomics are better. The twins aren't great inside. But they are passable for that price of car.

Piping noise in from the engine is lame, but many are doing it. You can get rid of the pipe if you don't like it.

I think it is very much a sports car. People get all kinds of weird ideas what sports cars are. Remember the British really defined the idea. When you look at British sports cars you don't see powerful engines, you see little, fun cars. The FRS/BRZ is a little, fun car.

0-60 on both cars is respectable and basically the same, not that it matters much. Quarter mile time matters nothing to me.

The FRS/BRZ isn't the best car for the price. My money would buy a Focus ST or a Mazdaspeed 3 if I had to buy new (new MS3s are the last years carry overs) . So I'd choose a car that follows in the footsteps of the GTI. If looking used, you can buy boat loads more car and if you spent the same amount of money as a FRS/BRZ you could make a supercar beating Metro. But the the twins are good cars. Expect their price to come down as more companies get into the game and used ones turn up in the market. But right now the prices are what people are willing to pay for them. If I didn't need to be able to transport children I'd seriously look at buying one as a daily.

No knocking on your GTI either. They are great cars and VW interiors are really nice for that strata of car. I think it is a "better" all around car, but the FRS/BRZ have their strengths and should be given a fair shake. I think it is the most serious sports car at $25K new.

Edited by Cloud81918

No knocking on your GTI eitehr. They are great cars and VW interiors are really nice for that strata of car. I think it is a "better" all around car. but the FRS/BRZ have their strengths and should be given a fair shake.

You guys sound like FRS BRZ fan boys..... Seriously where is the strength? I really really tried to give it a fair shake.... I wanted to LOVE it infact. I love the motor design... but they weak linked it in fuel delivery on a direct injeciton motor. ( I guess you could call the motor the only strength) The trans (both) SUCK the rear end is unknow..... the lack of ablity to put wide rims and tires even if you wanted to.... and the really crazy part it's not even an issue in the front it's an issue out back. I know someone that has one, and he DESPRATLY wants wider rims and tires in the back and they will not fit. He can't even get 1 size wider beceuase it's worthless you still can't fit a wider tire and just end up stretching. So really where does this thing have a strength? It's not "cheep" it's not even quick it is twitchey at best when really pressed by a capable driver........ it's a car made for a kid that mommy and dady buy the car for them and they think they are the fast and the furious..... that is all it is.

As for the noise pipes and speakers. It's totally stupid but atleast with speakers I whipped out my programer and turned that stupid stuff off.

As for my GTI i'll be the very first one to knock it..... I HATE the electric stearing..... it's so stupid to make a "performence oriented model" with 0 stearing feel. I want to roll over a coin and be able to tell you if it's face up or face down, not be able to hit a pot hole big enough to rip a rim off a car and not feel a single thing in the wheel. The stupid cam follower issue since I have an FSI motor (not really that big a deal I'll just swap it out every 20K and because I bought the car with under 20K on it I'm not to worried. The launch contorl is WORTHLESS other then it's the only way to not have the brake pedal not disable the gas pedal. And the cheep A/C system that was installed on them is an always drive system and always brakes (still on the fence about even fixing it) Poeple have had them fail in 5K or less for both braking the clutch or shaft or the presure switch. There is just no traction what so ever (after my 2 upgraded pipes and new tune) anything under 40 MPH and you can just smoke them to the ground. I'm going to make one desprate atempt to go bigger and lighter on rims (yes it will fit 2 sizes biger then stock rims and 4 sizes up in tires) as my last attempt to get traction. And would like to drop the car maybe 2" Other then that I love the car. Love the puzzled look on peoples faces when I smoke them with it too. You would never expect this car to get up and move the way it does 60mph and up.

Edited by jszucs

Wow, a lot of strong feelings about the FRS/BRZ. Settle down, its just peoples opinions about cars, not your families.

However, my brother in law brought home a brand new 2013 BRZ today to replace the POS Fusion that Ford had to buy back due to the Better business bureau enforcing NC lemon laws, finally. It is a sweet little car, that is a bit lacking in power, ( I wish it was boosted) but it does handle very well in the twisties. And it is WRC blue, which is one of the sexiest colors available on a vehicle today in my opinion. Of course I do have a thing for blues in that general area on a color chart.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/fiji/IMG_2072.jpg

BC_99

What about the Dodge Dart SRT 4

http://image.motortrend.com/f/future/future_vehicles/1201_2014_dodge_dart_srt4/35349938+w670+h500+cr1+ar0/2014-Dodge-Dart-SRT4-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Edited by importwarrior

on "retro" styling

vw did an ok job with the bettle.

BMW fair with the mini (althogh nothing matches the fantastic tiny little originals). Ditto the Fiat 500

GM totally botched the camaro, as their design department suk at just about everything it touches

challenger rebirth kinda cool too

08 mustang looks good on the road, even tho a bit "bloated" (but so is everything else u.s. these days)

I'm an avid ae86 guy.... the FR is garbage. I would have simply preferred a rwd 2002 celica (held at 2500 lbs)

I c no 510 roots in this fugly pos whatsoeva. The 'Pontiac Aztec' team at GM musta helped em design it. BARFFFF!!!