question what do you guys use to keep tools free'd up

Shelby

i have to do a lot of my work under a car port and durring these florida down pours i often get tools wet,, this makes plyers esp neddle nose and side cutters get stiff,, i'\ve been useing pb blaster but it's not doing a super job an\y sugestions

it's not uncommon to get 2-3 inches of rain in an hours time this makes every thing get wet

WD40 and PB blaster work but they also evaporate. Stuff like side cotters is impossible to get grease into. What I would do if I lived in a climate like that is lube my tools often. I wouldn't wait till they were stiff. Part of my putting tools away ritual would include some WD40. That should displace the water and prevent them from getting stiff in the first place. A dunk in some muratic acid will get rid of the rust that's already there. Rinse thoroughly and WD40.

This doesn't directly apply, but I've been taking those "DO NOT EAT" packets of drying beads from my wife's shoe boxes and putting them in my tool box drawers to cut down on moister. Seems to be helping. During the humid summers, it'll get so damp in the shop that the ceiling will gather condensation and it'll basically rain inside.

I bet a piece of a ladies stocking filled with rice and tied off would do the same trick.

Dale makes a good point with the silica gel packets.

If you wanted to amplify that Shelby, you can get Silica gel Cat Litter at Wal-mart. They sell one kind local to me (Mimi litter $5 for 4lbs) that I've used to pour in the floor boards of a quest with a leaky hatch. Dried it up in a day or so.

Just get a plastic tub, fill it with that crystal cat litter, throw your tools in it, and let osmosis do its thing. Just remember to put a lid on the tub, or kitty might leave you a surprise.:)

I do the same thing with the silica gel packets... got a bunch of them in all the drawers of my toolboxes. I've also soaked stuck tools in Marvel Mystery Oil, and almost all of them freed up. Edited by Burton

if you got something that's totally locked up (mainly bolts and stuff like that though not tools) I use freeze off. You spray it down till it's covered in ice crystals (few seconds) then lightly wrap it with a hammer. and remove whatever was sezed up.

if you got something that's totally locked up (mainly bolts and stuff like that though not tools) I use freeze off. You spray it down till it's covered in ice crystals (few seconds) then lightly wrap it with a hammer. and remove whatever was sezed up.

I use a similar product called torch off. You grab the acetylene torch, light it and..... well you get the idea. Washing away bolts is fun. :P

Like bc99 said ballistol. Its the best thing out there. Hard to come by because its not sold in parts stores. A lot of the race teams around here use it. I've seen it at guns shows or you could try online. Once you use it you will never use anything else.

All my stuff is idoors in the garage, we have no moisture to worry about.

But if I accidentally leave tools out a sudden freak over night rains falls on them, I just blow compressed air through them and the some WD40. It's happened a few times.

A good friend of mine, who's a heavy equipment mechanic, swears by a mixture of acetone & ATF. I've never seen it, but he says it'll actually sizzle as it's working its way into joints.

a bucket of atf is the best thing for keeping your wratchets rust free and working that I have found that's cheap and easy to come by justdrop the head of the wratchet in it for an hour or so every so often

I use a similar product called torch off. You grab the acetylene torch, light it and..... well you get the idea. Washing away bolts is fun. :P

Like to see you do that on a subi brake bracket bolts without torching hubs, 1/2 shafts, and all the related hardware. Have no idea what it is with those bolts but they always lock up and snap off, even new cars with 6-10K miles and with fresh anti seze on them. It's nuts. That and MPG are about the only things to hate about a subi though.

i have to do a lot of my work under a car port and durring these florida down pours i often get tools wet,, this makes plyers esp neddle nose and side cutters get stiff,, i'\ve been useing pb blaster but it's not doing a super job an\y sugestions

it's not uncommon to get 2-3 inches of rain in an hours time this makes every thing get wet

White Lithium Grease, in the spray can.

Bill

that spray grease will not flow into tight places , we've used it for many many years on door hinges

thats why i know by it's self it will not penitrate tight places,,now add a little pb blaster or like spray and it will to a point but it's more of a being carryed along rather then it penitrateing on it's own

neighbor lady gave me a can of ' Spra-Loos' it was some thing i had never tryed so i gave the plyers a shot after soaking in a weak solution of muratic acid , stuff did a super job you could see the rust comeing out as you worked the plyers

when i say plyers i mean the neddle nose,, reg plyers never give you a problem , only side cuters and neddle nose

that spray grease will not flow into tight places , we've used it for many many years on door hinges

thats why i know by it's self it will not penitrate tight places,,now add a little pb blaster or like spray and it will to a point but it's more of a being carryed along rather then it penitrateing on it's own

Kano Kroil comes in spray (and other forms) but will creep into anything and everything. It's "creepy" really you can take a bolt thats verticle and watch it defy gravity and crawl up the threads.

Edited by jszucs