ARP Studs?

MLS is multiple layers of metal shims. Like the good exhaust manifold gasket.

The only HG Ajusa makes for the 2.6 (that Im aware of) is a composite design which they call the "fiber max".

Either its still a great gasket. Just not a real MLS.

why remove the studs when taking off the head Shelby? is it just to make it easier to take the head out of the car? i dont remember if i did that or not when i pulled the head the last time..way to long ago, and i hope it stays that way lol

If you don't remove the studs it is very easy to scrape, ding and scratch the mating surface, combustion chamber or valves of your head when trying to drop it back over those studs. That could be bad news for all kinds of things. So as a precaution it's a good idea to put the studs in after the head is sitting on the block and to remove them with the block still in place. The dowels that locate the head to the block will get things lined up nicely and then you can screw the studs in. I also remove the studs and clean out the threads of the block every time I pull a head. Better safe than sorry I say Edited by psu_Crash

ahh got it.. come to think of it...i dont think i took the studs out the last time..if i have to do it again ill do it that way. seems more simple as well.

Cause you have the Skill of removing the head without damage!

Dad

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. A lot of experienced members are good enough to use them as guides to put the head back on. But at the same time, I appreciate Shelby pointing out to others that may not know the chance of damaging a set of ARPs.

Jimmy

If you don't remove the studs it is very easy to scrape, ding and scratch the mating surface, combustion chamber or valves of your head when trying to drop it back over those studs. That could be bad news for all kinds of things. So as a precaution it's a good idea to put the studs in after the head is sitting on the block and to remove them with the block still in place. The dowels that locate the head to the block will get things lined up nicely and then you can screw the studs in. I also remove the studs and clean out the threads of the block every time I pull a head. Better safe than sorry I say

thank you my kind sir

and your not worried so much about doing damage to the head when removeing it,,

why take the chance or destroying the surface of a brand new or freshly resurfaced head ,, sure don't take all that long to spin them out and back in

Cause you have the Skill of removing the head without damage!

Dad

HAHAHA, should that be considered a skill? Or a hint that Im doing something else wrong?? HAHAHA

I agree, to each their own. Just be sure if you pull the studs when pulling the head, that you COMPLETELY clean out the holes prior to re-install. You dont want any fluid trapped down in there.

Pulling the studs prolly makes maneuvering over the cam gear a little easier.

both ways make sense to me. never done the stud removal way im sure. but i give it a shot next time around if i ever have to do work to the head or anything again.

one thing you do not want is for the studs to freeze in the block,, they can be hell to remove , so for that reason alone it makes sense to remove and clean threads and holes out ,,and do not install studs dry ,, lighly oil the threads or as I have done on a block that seemed to have a coolant leak into that thread hole,, use rtv around the threads , it'll seal the leak and aid in later removeal

90 to 100 psi Torque on ARP Headstuds. Use a Assembly lube on the studs. Oil or Assembly lube is recommended.

Bill

That is the torque spec for tightening the nuts in place when torqueing the head down. Do not try to torque the studs into the block. Like stated above, lube the threads and run them in finger tight.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

I put the studs in first. Than clean off any lube that comes out. I do not want any lube getting between my gasket and the head and block. If you take the cam out it is easer to get the head past the cam gear. Makes it lighter also.

BTW the torque spec is 90 lbs with ARP lube.. not any other lube. There is a torque if you use 30 weight oil but I don't have that at the moment. assembly lube is not the same as arp moly lube.

Dad