fan help.

mitsustar86

I was wondering at what temp shoukd first fan turn on and what temp does second turn on I've only seen one on and it turns on around half way. If my ffirst fan isn't working what do I need to do to fix it

first fan is supposed to be coming on about 180* - the second fan comes on about 210* - a trick to these cars is to put a 180" sensor in both spots on the radiator - so both fans ljcome on at 180* as a safety net... IMO 210* is too late for the 2nd fan to be kicking on.

Also, keep in mind these cars are nearing 30yr mark and the factory gauges may not be reading accurately anymore

first fan is supposed to be coming on about 180* - the second fan comes on about 210* - a trick to these cars is to put a 180" sensor in both spots on the radiator - so both fans ljcome on at 180* as a safety net... IMO 210* is too late for the 2nd fan to be kicking on.

I wouldn't use x2 180 switches unless both fans are hooked together. It states in the PQ manuals that with x2 180 switches the secondary fan will come on and the primary wont. By wiring both fans together at the fan relays all 3 fans will come on at the same time and cooling will be greatly improved. I've been running mine that way for years without any issues.

it's more like 185f , but who cares,, along the lines of safty nets why not install 2 185f swts and wire them both up on the same wireing,, that way if one thermo swt fails to work you have a back up

that's what I did.

I'm more of a fan (seriously, no pun intended) of fixing the issues that require you to build a "safety net". The factory system works great, when it starts not working great you can cleverly design all the safety nets you want and you're only delaying the inevitable.

I'm more of a fan (seriously, no pun intended) of fixing the issues that require you to build a "safety net". The factory system works great, when it starts not working great you can cleverly design all the safety nets you want and you're only delaying the inevitable.

I completely agree if you are talking about a stock/mildly modded car.

But mine for example is not stock. Increasing HP will increase the heat load on the IC and rad. You get to a point where the stock cooling system can't compete with the increase in HP. At that point a better rad and the all 3 fan mod will handle the extra heat.

• 1 month later...
Isn't the really simple solution to just run a "jumper" wire connecting the two thermosensors at the bottom of the radiator? I thought that makes all three fans turn on at the lowest temp setting.

Install a number 1 Thermosensor in place of the no.2.

Number 1 off: 180 degrees

Number 1 on:190 degrees.

Number 2 off:207 degrees.

Number 2 on:217 degrees.

The Number 2 on Temp. of (217) is a little too hot for me.

Using a Jumper wire???? Why screw with the wiring when you can just remove one sensor and install another ;)

I have had a number 1 Thermosensor installed in place of the number 2 for 10 years now without any ill effects. Yea, even driving my car at above 100 degrees ambiant temp. And the Secondary Fan (90%) of the time comes on right after the Primary Fan does when needed :D So much for others ill advised advice or opinions :lol:

Proof to me on whether or not a part or procedure works properly is to test it. I did...... for 10 years ;)

What works, works.

P.S. The problem with wiring the Secondary fan to the Primary is this: Both fans will come on at the same time: 190 degrees coolant temp. If it is cooler outside, only the Primary Fan will operate with a Primary no.1 Thermosensor in place of the Secondary no.2. Why? Larger cooling fan on the Primary side of the radiator. The Secondary fan will come on when needed.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I was wondering at what temp shoukd first fan turn on and what temp does second turn on I've only seen one on and it turns on around half way. If my ffirst fan isn't working what do I need to do to fix it

If your first (primary) fan isn't working.....PARK YOUR CAR!!!!!! I personally warped a Cylinder Head back in 1991 by continuing to drive my Starion without the Primary Fan working ($2000.00 lesson). Replace the Primary Fan with a working one before you drive the car again.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I have both radiator fans wired to come on together(I have no a/c)and other than a big electrical draw for a second when they kick on I have had no issues---

gig out

If that is the way you wish to do things, fine. I can only give my advice on what I personally have done successfully after 24 years of experience dealing with these cars. What members decide to do with the advice I offer, is beyond my control.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

^_^

If that is the way you wish to do things, fine. I can only give my advice on what I personally have done successfully after 24 years of experience dealing with these cars. What members decide to do with the advice I offer, is beyond my control.

Bill

Im with ya Bill----that's why I always post what I do or have done(GOOD OR BAD)---does not mean whats good for the goose is good for the gander especially with these finicky beasts--I been tinkering with this car since I bought it in 1992 and have run my fans that way since 1998 so I would say its a personally successful experience ;)

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

Bill

To add to this, often times when we customize our cars there is more than one right answer, so it is good to have multiple people offer their solutions for others to see different options available :) In other words, advice is good to share!

Out of curiosity are you sure the primary fan is not coming on - the passenger side?