Headgasket ??

eipquest

I have used copper for many years and had good sucess with them but I have been a little out of the loop as of late , just figured I would ask if there are any steel gaskets avail. out there . I have gotten the bug again to mess with it any help would be thanked.

I have been using an Ajusa MLS (multi layered steel) head gasket and haven't had any issues. My car isn't boosted through the roof yet but it has held fine at 10lbs. :)

You should try o-ringing the block or head with an oring that has about .003-4 protrusion from the surface. Then a cheap 8770 Fel-Pro will work. I got a barely used engine from a kid who's machine shop made it protrude way too much. It was .007. I got it to work, but it dripped coolant until I torqued it to 100Ft Lbs with studs and ARP moly lube.

I daily drive it, but haven't given it over 18PSI of boost.

Why does everyone want a MLS gasket? The Ajusa steel/ composite gasket works hella good. I've cracked a a head without that gasket failing.

Only benefit I see for an MLS on these engines is that it will be thin and raise compression a bit, maybe.

Why does everyone want a MLS gasket? The Ajusa steel/ composite gasket works hella good. I've cracked a a head without that gasket failing.

Only benefit I see for an MLS on these engines is that it will be thin and raise compression a bit, maybe.

Metal don't blow out like composit material does when you really want to push it. I know lots of sick HP 4g63's sr20's a supra that all run copper gaskets and high boost without issues.

Ive been using sce copper since the 90's just seeing if there was anything new , ive turned 900 crank hp from them easy but they dont last real long .

Hey Rob, How ya been?? Glad the original SQ beast is comin back to life.

Joe (4cylfury) has had great success with the Ajusa at over 600whp 30+psi. And no orings.

btw, you better lay down some new nasty times, otherwise you need to put that richmond in the mail headed for TX

Also on a boosted motor.... especialy when going with high boost we will say 20+ is what I would call high boost. you want to lower compresion not raise it.

Hey Rob, How ya been?? Glad the original SQ beast is comin back to life.

Joe (4cylfury) has had great success with the Ajusa at over 600whp 30+psi. And no orings.

btw, you better lay down some new nasty times, otherwise you need to put that richmond in the mail headed for TX

I just ordered two new gaskets from sce i think i will stay with what I know they were 95 a piece , and as far as the trasmission im taking that to the grave lol !

Also on a boosted motor.... especialy when going with high boost we will say 20+ is what I would call high boost. you want to lower compresion not raise it.

Why? 20+ means from 20psi to infinity. To make bigger numbers with these engines, you're going to be in the 30s and 40s for psi, no matter what the turbo. static compression can vary a lot and it won't matter much.

I just ordered two new gaskets from sce i think i will stay with what I know they were 95 a piece , and as far as the trasmission im taking that to the grave lol !

HAHA cant wait to see some new numbers. You stickin with the 75 or changin the game up a bit? Ive been toying with the idea of a richmond as of late.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used copper for many years and had good sucess with them but I have been a little out of the loop as of late , just figured I would ask if there are any steel gaskets avail. out there . I have gotten the bug again to mess with it any help would be thanked.

Good to see you back on the site. Is Chris still in the game or did he sell the car?

Why? 20+ means from 20psi to infinity. To make bigger numbers with these engines, you're going to be in the 30s and 40s for psi, no matter what the turbo. static compression can vary a lot and it won't matter much.

Not really 20PSI on one turbo might only flow 450CFM as 20PSI on a big turbo might flow 800 900 CFM major difrence there pound for pound totaly not the same ball game. Now if that flow is not usable IE the head and intake / exaust can't flow the amount then yes the PSI needs to come up making the amount your flowing more by making the same flow amount more dence.

I have been using an Ajusa MLS (multi layered steel) head gasket and haven't had any issues. My car isn't boosted through the roof yet but it has held fine at 10lbs. :)

Agreed. This is what I use boosting to 20 psi.

Bill

Why does everyone want a MLS gasket? The Ajusa steel/ composite gasket works hella good.

MLS is a Ajusa. Wake up!!!! Your not smoking pot out there in So. Cal are you?

Bill

I was hoping you would enter a post like this..... I will sit back with a bowl of popcorn and a beer to watch members "blow the hell" out of their engines trying to make 30 to 40 psi boost without the proper modifications. Why? Because you didn't tell them what it takes to achieve "Bigger Numbers" at 30 to 40 psi boost ;) Tech, your in the "Dog House" right now as far as giving viable advice to members :lol:

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I was hoping you would enter a post like this..... I will sit back with a bowl of popcorn and a beer to watch members "blow the hell" out of their engines trying to make 30 to 40 psi boost without the proper modifications. Why? Because you didn't tell them what it takes to achieve "Bigger Numbers" at 30 to 40 psi boost ;) Tech, your in the "Dog House" right now as far as giving viable advice to members :lol:

Bill

Yes, his handholding/ anus whiping technique are way subpar.

To talk GENERAL turbo knowledge you must include proper spec for fuel injectors/ ignition events/ proper pressure ratio/iat limits.

Now someones likely to start thier car without oil in it. You know, that engine lubricating fluid. But only because what he just said, not because the individual had no business even changine his or anyone elses oil. Im glad you pointed this wrong doing out ole billybob. I am just appauled.

They just put an In-N-Out burger a few hours away from here!

Edited by phinko
  • Like 1

There is NO MLS gasket made for the 2.6 the Ajusa is not a MLS gasket.. I wish people would stop calling it an MLS.

Dad