DIY Hot tanking

Killtodie

toadie, what is on all these parts that it wont come off with some soap and water and scrubbing? The bolts and nuts and hardware can be soaked in jars of gasoline, lacquer thinner, or brake cleaner. The purpose of hot tanking a block/cyl heads at the machine shop is so that it gets in all the oil and water passages that run throughout the block and cleans them out thoroughly. Watching the videos that come up on youtube, it seems most of those guys are still having to wash the parts when they get done hot tanking. Seems like this process is just loosening the oil/grease/gunk up so that it comes off easily. But either way, judging by your past episodes, you are gonna do this come hell or high water, so try not to do anything stupid that will get you killed or incarcerated.

BC_99

Thanks for your concern, I have 3 Halon 1211 fire extinguishers in my car and garage.

That's going to be your next ingredient? You're going to be high for months!

i hope this is all a joke ,, useing a battery charger to heat water ,lol first off shorting out the charger wires with a screen will over load the charger for all it knows theres a dead short and realy thats what you just made :(

I'm not heating the water with a battery charger, i will be using teh electric current to remove rust and grime via electrolysis.

Yes, some of this can be scrubbed by hand. i've scrubbed engine parts before and I would rather get it in the tub first to get the major stuff off.

Edited by Killtodie

My block has about litterally, 1 inch of grime on it. I actually found a entire M8 nut burried in the grime. Pressure wash wont clean it, I can sit there and scrape it all day but if I can just dip it and get a lot of it off, I would rather do that.

I'll give this home made hot tank a try and post results.

Have you tried pressure washing or are you just dismissing it because chicken wire isn't involved?

I have yet to see an engine a good pressure washer wont clean. For really grimy engines soak them in WD40 for 10 minutes before washing. That loosens all the grime and the pressure washer blasts it away.

I pressure washed an engine before. I know how it goes. You also need to wear a rain coat or swimming trunks. water gets everywhere.

I scrubbed my transmission clean about two years ago, it was really grimmy. Took me an entire day with metal burshes and simple green. Now that was lighter and easier to work with, a iron block, not so much.

I already tried to clean my front oil cover, been scrubbing it with brass brushes but some dirt is not coming off and I cant use anything more abrasive since its aluminum. Same goes for my oil pan, lots of nasty residue that is just like sticky tar, not coming off easily

Based on the youtube videos ive seen, a home made hot tank is a quick and simple solution. All I need is some chicken fense and I can do this tonight.

w/e. i'll look more into this when I get home and see what I can do.

Edited by Killtodie

Ive been looking at a few more forums and youtube video's.

Not sure what the line is between a hot tank and electrolysis cleaning, or if everyone else is confusing the two.

But I guess what I plan on doing is cleaning it with electrolysis and some over the counter cleaning agents. where hot tanking is boiling a part with a causting cleaner.

Most places keep linking to teh same youtube video of guys using electrolysis to clean a block. Seems doobale for me, their results look good. I'll try it on my oil pan tonight if I can find a place to buy chicken fence after 10

eh, you do know that you can simply go down to the nearest machine shop and pay a small fee to have them hot tank the hell out of whatever you want?

I think I paid $25 to have a dismantled engine block, crank, rods, cyl head etc, hot tanked real good. Why the hell do you want to re-invent the wheel? You probably gonna spend more on just your time alone to DIY.

I don't know about you, but my time is valuable, I sure as hell don't trouble with crap can easily be done for cheap by someone who dedicates themselves to that job.

aaahhh, hell, wt.... am I doing? just wasting my time on Toadie, it's like beating a dead horse. Yo, can I get someone to post a GIF of beaten dead horse? :lol:

why is everyone so against me doing this by myself? its just a bucket of warm water, a battery charger and some leads?

btw, home depot closed when I go home, I will hit it up tomorrow before work

Because we've all seen how this is gonna go before. Rather than actually read and comprehend the advice thats given, you argue, but you arent actually arguing what was posted. For instance: Nate mentioned RENTING a steam cleaner, and your response is that youve been looking to BUY one and they all cost over $1200, and someone else mentions a pressure washer and you respond about rain coats and swimming suits and making a mess. Then when you leave your block in there to long or use to much cleaniers and the electricity in the water cause some unforseen damage to your block or ruins a battery charger, you will be on here complaining and posting pictures. Kinda like that time you posted pictures of your exhaust sticking 3 feet outta the back of your car and everyone told you it was dangerous and looked stupid, then 2 days later you post pictures of a massive burn on your leg. Most of people on here that have met you, have said you are an ok guy in person, I just dont understand why you are so stubborn and post these topics only to argue with what everyone else seems to already know and understand. Im sure you will post some arguement now that has nothing to do with what I said, so let the dead horse be tenderized.

BC_99

• Like 1

My block has about litterally, 1 inch of grime on it. I actually found a entire M8 nut burried in the grime. Pressure wash wont clean it, I can sit there and scrape it all day but if I can just dip it and get a lot of it off, I would rather do that.

I'll give this home made hot tank a try and post results.

If a presure washer with the right tip won't clean it, nether will a hot tank. WIth the right tip and washer you could litterly cut through the block.