DIY Hot tanking

Killtodie

why is everyone so against me doing this by myself? its just a bucket of warm water, a battery charger and some leads?

btw, home depot closed when I go home, I will hit it up tomorrow before work

I think right there you summed it up for yourself...... UM water and bat charger DON"T MIX

And if you ever did electrolicys for science reasons you know it breaks water into hydrogen and oxigen and then your going to fill the room with it, and then your going to get a spark from your charger and BOOM like you never seen a boom before. Ever fill a ballon with welding gas, and then drip a string in something flamable and let it run up to the ballon? BOOM yes that kind of BOOM on a much bigger scale.

Edited by jszucs

time to get real,, 1 inch of crud and dirt,, come on

few things in this world would work better then 15 minutes with a scraper , even if you had a hot tank with 212f solvent,,it'd take for ever to remove that much crud,, far simpler and less expensive to just scrap most of it off,,

if this is an engine you just bought i sure hope you didn't pay much for it,,cause that shows almost NO effort on the po to maintain the engine , few places for this engine to actualy leak oil and all are easy to fix

now if this was an engine from my car i'd not be so quick to tell every one how dirty it is :)

i've clean't more engines then i can count,, nothing beats a little elbow grease :)

some of you are missing the main reason to hot tank a block, it's NOT to remove external dirt or grease , but to

remove crap from oil passages, internal block areas and trash out of the coolant passages

Alright, so I bought 10 feet of chicken fence before work. for some reason the Home Depot did not sell baking soda. w/e

I'm going to try this out on my oil pan tonight.

To answer some concerns. Renting a steam cleaner is expensive, the rental models are industrial and either need to be loaded on a flat bed or towed. I wanted to buy a smaller unit for a while but never see one cheap enough and when I do, people never respond to their sale ad.

As far as this being a hazard, or dangerous, I plan on doing this outside in the yard, not in the garage. I know all the dangers of electrolysis.

Battery charger burning out? It was $20 from Harbor Freights, it has a 1 year warranty. I have a $40 gift card there anyway.

I do plan on taking the block to a car wash and pressure washing it, Ive dont this to other blocks before, so I know what the deal is and how much it removes. As far as renting one, Home Depot wants $60 for 1 day. o_O And that does not include an air compressor.

I'll test this out on my oil pan tonight and post results.

Yes, I am being stubborn, I also didnt expect so many people telling me not to do this. I'm surprised that no one here has done this themselfs. We will see how this goes for me. I can always test this on a trashed block before dipping mine.

I also didnt expect so many people telling me not to do this. I'm surprised that no one here has done this themselfs. We will see how this goes for me.

^ That should be red flags right there dude. We tell you how and to do almost everything yourself here. So if everyeone is saying no... and non of us have done it..... I would guess there is a reason.

Just don't nuke yourself.... atleast run that thing on a GFI outlet for gods sake.... we would miss ragging on you.

I do My own cleaning if that makes you feel better. <_<

http://www.enginemachineservice.com/jm3.jpg

I do My own cleaning if that makes you feel better. <_<

http://www.enginemachineservice.com/jm3.jpg

It does.... that's one reason I hired you. Though I do always try and do a once over before I even remove stuff.

Because we've all seen how this is gonna go before. Rather than actually read and comprehend the advice thats given, you argue, but you arent actually arguing what was posted. For instance: Nate mentioned RENTING a steam cleaner, and your response is that youve been looking to BUY one and they all cost over $1200, and someone else mentions a pressure washer and you respond about rain coats and swimming suits and making a mess. Then when you leave your block in there to long or use to much cleaniers and the electricity in the water cause some unforseen damage to your block or ruins a battery charger, you will be on here complaining and posting pictures. Kinda like that time you posted pictures of your exhaust sticking 3 feet outta the back of your car and everyone told you it was dangerous and looked stupid, then 2 days later you post pictures of a massive burn on your leg. Most of people on here that have met you, have said you are an ok guy in person, I just dont understand why you are so stubborn and post these topics only to argue with what everyone else seems to already know and understand. Im sure you will post some arguement now that has nothing to do with what I said, so let the dead horse be tenderized.

BC_99

I love you for this post!

Turborusty

I ALWAYS do the things they do in the most popular searches on Youtube..........has never served me wrong!

Turborusty

Most def! works ALL the time, isnt youtube awesome? and the comments, very helpful too!

So apperently no one sells baking soda other than that tinny refrigerator box so I bought some oxyclean knockoff, its half sodium carbonate and sodium precarbonaet. not really baking soda but it shouldnt blow me up

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/3732768+_3af82752f6304ffdda12fa02fd01e629.jpghttp://www.imgderp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/mother-of-god-500x375.jpg

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/199/693/disgusted-mother-of-god.png?1321272571http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/mother-of-god-you-graduated.jpg

Turborusty

If it makes a toxic gas from all the other unknown compounds in there, take pictures of yourself flopping like a fish on the ground as you die, I want to see it.