Muffler suggestions

Ono

Time to do the exhaust. What's the best muffler to use? Money really isn't an object (I mean c'mon, how much could a really good muffler be for our cars anyway?)

Thanks

Quite a few brands in the US market are going to be made by Walker. And they make very good mufflers - Dynomax, Thrush. Magnaflow is another good brand, made in the U.S. of A.

As far as design for performance, you're going to want a straight through (glass pack), because it will create the least backpressure.

-Robert

i like my hooker aerochamber.

sounds great, wish i had a sound clip.

I dont mind the straight through designs if you have a glass pack up front, but you will burn through the packing fairly quickly and make it annoying again.

i hate the 3k rpm drone of straight pipe/pass throughs

I also like the car chemistry inserts if you want to run a short exhaust. I've ran a 3in side pipe with a car chemistry 3disk insert, and it sounded better than borlas IMO with no substantial increase/problems in back pressure.

I like the aero chamber more though, mine is a 3.5" with 3-3.5 reducer on the inlet, and a 3.5 turndown.

I bought my magnaflow from Jegs. you can probably find it cheaper on ebay or something, but I really like the note. going from an old dynomax to the magnaflow made "inside voice" conversations possible at highway speeds. The drone was gone and a decent tone was there in its place.

Megan Racing. I've had one on my car for about 7 or 8 years now, and it still sounds and looks great. Not bad for $60 shipped to my door.

I have a 2.5" Magnaflow that is 18" long (tight fit though) and really like the sound, plus the muffler is a straight through design. The car is audible from inside, but not overbearing and doesn't drone nearly as bad as a series 40 flowmaster I previously had.

From outside the car, it's hardly loud at all. I got to listen to my car drive around as I let someone co-drive it at an autocross and I was really surprised by just how quiet it was. It definitely wouldn't attract any unwanted attention.

• Like 1

TBI and small turbines make it quiet as well. You can take the same muffler and put it on a stock car, and an MPI car and you can guess which would be louder.

There are some interesting ones by Varex which have a motorized flapper inside which re-routes the exhaust through a smaller passage and makes the car sound stock or even quieter. Then you press a button and it opens up for straight-through. Pretty sweet, I've seen it in action!

The HKS catback uses a chambered muffler and sounds great.

Is this system still available, if so...is it something that can be installed without getting an exhaust shop involved? ;)

-N8

Is this system still available, if so...is it something that can be installed without getting an exhaust shop involved? ;)

-N8

IDK if it's still available but I will be selling mine as soon as I have $ for upgrades.

It's a little dirty but rust free.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/For%20sale/DSC03942.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/For%20sale/DSC03941.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/For%20sale/DSC03940.jpg

Edited by ucw458

Dynomax, with a dual tip resonator. A dual tip resonator (which our cars came with) works and sounds fine. A aftermarket dual tip resonator can be found cheap from JC Whitney.com.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Aero chamber is loud as hell. I had one on my 89 with 3" piping. I like Borla mufflers, Nice deep tone but not ridiculously loud; flows well too.

X2 on this one. I had an Aero chamber for a few months on a 3 inch system. You literally could hear me coming from a mile away if you were outside of my house (out in the boonies, yo)

I put a magnaflow on it, and then could have conversations in the car again. A friend told it was a nice change cause my car didnt sound like a tank anymore haha.

Ive been running a no-name ebay muffler on my car for about a year now, on a 2.5 inch system. I think it sounds great, looks pretty decent, and only cost me like 30 bucks shipped.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r80/fijiphil/2011-08-23_16-26-55_162.jpg

^ yes, loud as HELL but quieter than straight pipe and it adds a nice deep rumble to the tractor sounding 54b yO. on decel it'll set off car alarms :ph34r:

Harry, didnt I sell my aerochamber to you? :lol: Itll definately set off a car alarm haha.