What would cause a Starquest to get sideways when accelerating?

AustinTSI

So I've been told that when a Starquest starts getting a lot of power it will start having problems staying straight when accelerating even from 40mph.

Specifically, it was mentioned that in 2nd gear with an HX40 turbo that if you floor it then the car will get sideways.

I haven't had this problem myself since I am still working on my build but I have heard of it in the past about other cars.

So my questions are:

1. Does this happen to the Starquest ?
  2. What causes this ?
  3. What can be done to stop this ?

Thankx.

• Like 1

Being implimented by government for safety in new cars.

It is one step closer to having vehicle pilot themselves.

http://en.wikipedia....ability_control

Electronic stability control (ESC) is a computerized technology that may potentially improve the safety of a vehicle's stability by detecting and minimizing skids.

When ESC detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer.

Some ESC systems also reduce engine power until control is regained.

ESC does not improve a vehicle's cornering performance; instead, it helps to minimize the loss of control.

According to Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one-third of fatal accidents could have been prevented by the technology.

So in order to have similiar control , (in a non ESC equipped car) the driver would let off the accelerator pedal

and apply the brakes (lightly) while correcting the steering (direction) without over compensation (panic)

In addition,

a vehicle with a manual transmission the driver could shift into a lower gear,

only if applicable to the speed of the vehicle as not too rapid a RPM descent,

or another method would to engage the clutch while braking

and correcting the steering and tapping the accelorator to increase drive train RPMs (slightly) then (gently) releasing the clutch,

while still maintaining controlling of braking and steering .

Also,

Anything tou can do to improve throttle response will help you to control your vehicle,

not just increasing injector drive time but decreasing it as well,

(this helps with engine braking).

In most normal driving situations ESC will work, but on a road course most experienced drivers would want complete control since it adverse conditions the ESC computer will shut down the engine,

computing it is disabled.

Testing on a Dyno.

If you have an ESC equipped vehicle with only two drive wheels

you would need to disable it or use a 4W dyno.

Tuning on a Dyno,

it has been reported a ESC equipped vehicle will lean out more than a non ESC vehicle.

Edited by Metric-man

In essense, the rear is pushing on a load that is almost entirely infront of it. When the force becomes great enough to beak traction, it's nolonger able to track straight behind the front so it will apply that forward force at any angle that aleviates the resistance. It will find less resistance for forward motion if the front "load" moves to the side and out of it's way. Thus the rear tries to pass the front and the car slides sideways in the rear.

It's like comparing 2 shoping carts where the rear wheels are fixed on one, and swivel on all 4 on the other. On the one where they all swivel, it's actualy difficult to push it in a straight line. You push from the rear just like our car does, and that force want's to pass the load by pushing it aside.

the only fix is to get better traction, or to convert to fronw wheel drive where you no pull the load instead of phusing it.

Funny???? My car goes sideways for only a split second.....Then the Limited Slip Differential (LSD) kicks in,even in the rain it straightens out :D

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I'm surprised to all the posts on this ;) All of the tech info was great & informative as well. But as for me: Even a stock StarQuest w/ excellent tires is capable of "get'n a lil sideways." It's an AD Rush! :) As for in the rain... WHOA! That can be "on the edge?" :huh:

What I wanna know is why does the tail end always kick out towards the passenger side when going straight ?

More weight in the Differential on the drivers side. That, and the fact that your a-- is on the drivers side of the car :lol:

Just Kidding Scooter,

Bill