Glass or carbon widebody fenders and/or hoods

PROTOTOM

RIGHT ON DUDE!!! Just kidding. I get it. Call me a dreamer. Call me what ever you want. I am not here to make money. Just share ideas. One of my heroes is Colin Chapman. Love the Esprit (although heavier in modern trim), the old Elan and Elise/Exige. Light weight will get you there quicker. I have been thinking about the whole door thing. I can make a door that would sort of function like a door, with a quick release lexan window. It would take a huge amount of weight off.

BURTON,

I think your experience would be quite helpful. I will pick your brain sometime, if that's ok. Know of any CNC machines for sale?

just think about skins for now (doors, fenders ect.) full doors would be to hard and pricey. JUST GIVE ME SKINs BABY.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should make a plexiGLASS hood with some carbon accents, you know, for the super nice cars with sick engine bays... like Convette's, BOHO's, or anyone with a good tuck. Sounds ricey, but it looks good done right. If you have something to show off under there. ;)

I don't know iof any CNC machines for sale, but there are a ton of them out there, especially in the NE where manufacturing is tanking. A buddy bought a decent little mill used with software, tooling, etc... for about $10k. It was a Fidal or Makino, which are decent ones and it wasn't too old That was up in MI where CNC shops close daily, so I'm sure those kind of prices are only in areas where the market is flooded with used mills. I'll get one for my shop someday myself.

I really suggest you avoid doors, but it's your perogative. I'd just hate to see you spend a lot of time and money and stress making a set of doors only to find that not many people want them. Then you may get a bad taste in your mouth and not make other parts- Parts that people actually want.

Best of luck!

and I know this community is a pretty big group of cheap fools. No offense, but people here flip when they see say 700 for the CF hoods, when on nearly any other car, a CF hood is 1200-1500 easy. Exhaust systems? In this community:400-500 bucks. Most other cars? 1-2k FWIW, and probably just rambling and repeating in this post lol. -Justin

You ain't kidding! I make a bunch of stuff for Kias lately, and it sells like crazy. They're cheap cars owned mostly by young kids who have them as a first car, have their credit stretched out to the max, and still throw money around like it's free. I built a couple of spoilers for our Koup just because I wanted them for our car. People saw them, one time and were ready to plop down $300 for me to make them, so now I'm working on building the molds and selling them. They are small pieces and the mold making and such doesn't take a lot of time or money so I'm all over it. The only way the same thing would sell here is if it were half the price, so that's why I am R&D'ing Kia stuff instead of SQ stuff. Another example- Catback exhausts for our Forte Koup go for $700 and rear axle back exhausts go for about $500, yet Kia kids buy em all day long.I see the stuff I make for other cars like GTI's 300Z's and Mustangs sell all day long, but SQ stuff just sits.

It would probably be easier for me to sell some hoods if I had some ready to go, but honestly, I've only had one person tell me they didn't want one because they couldn't have one shipped out next week, but that was also after I told them if would be about $800 for one that was painted to match the car and shipped. Either way, after offering the parts for a while, I realize it's not worth having one ready to go. I don't make hardly any money at all on them, so I have a hard time puting up $200 in materials and a bunch of my time at $5/hr when I'm turning away work for $20/hr. I may miss a sale for one hood a year by not having one ready, but I'll make up for that loss selling parts for other cars that are owned by people who realize that they are buying a custom, hand laid, US made part, and not some mass produced Chineese hood for a Civic that's only $250. It's all good tho. If someone wants a hood and they can wait for me to make it while I make it for too little money, then great. If they can't wait and they pass it up, oh well, that just makes the ones out there that much rarer, and in the meantime I'm making a good wage to provide for my family. When I started my biz and needed work, I didn't mind doing work for cheap because making $5/hr was better than $0/hr. Now that I can turn away work at $20/hr, it's hard to go back to making $5 just out of love for a community.

I do have most of my other wares for SQ's made and ready to go. I have fog light tint skins in every color cut and ready to go, as well as tinted sidemarkers and turns. I also have at least one set of each kind of Lexan fog covers I carry ready to go. I've got Conquest decal sets already cut and ready to ship in white, black, silver, red, and even a yellow set. All the other SQ decals and other stickers I sell are all pre cut in many colors ready to ship. I don't mind taking the time to make them and let them sit because I know they will all sell eventually, and they will sell for a price that allows me to make a good labor rate for my time. I actually inventoried all my stickers and tint skins that I have on hand, and at my asking price I have over $1000 worth of stock ready to be shipped out.

All that being said, with SQ stuff I have to try twice as hard to sell half as much product as I do for other cars. I dunno if the cars make people cheap or cheap people are drawn to these cars, but either way it's much harder to sell SQ stuff than most other cars IMO

Edited by Burton

I hear ya Mark.

I have half a sheet of Carbon fiber sitting in my shop waiting on some of these guys that were interested to to decide they are ready. Its ok tho, the first group of buyers paid for the most of the material and shipping, I will make one up for your for the SQOTM contest at some point, and I hope you know that if YOU want one for yours or Kates car, all you need to do is shoot me a PM and will be in the mail within the week.

FWIW members, any of Burtons stuff...fog skins, fog covers, custom panels, you'd be luck to have them. I will vouch for Mark any day of the week. You wont find a better vendor for quality and customer service.

That said, OP if you make this happen...atta boy. We need more vendors that say consequences be darned, I making this for the community.

Cheers,

BC_99

• 3 months later...

RIGHT ON DUDE!!! Just kidding. I get it. Call me a dreamer. Call me what ever you want. I am not here to make money. Just share ideas. One of my heroes is Colin Chapman. Love the Esprit (although heavier in modern trim), the old Elan and Elise/Exige. Light weight will get you there quicker. I have been thinking about the whole door thing. I can make a door that would sort of function like a door, with a quick release lexan window. It would take a huge amount of weight off.

I prefer metal on the doors over any type of carbon or glass skin . A friend in NY got T- boned by a speeding Ambulance and was lucky to walk away with just minor injuries. Those doors are heavy for a reason and the rear quarter can take a hit too.

May I suggest making a Carbon Fiber scoop hood. Many StarQuest owners would like to have one of those on their car but can justify $850 shipped for a damn hood. A slightly curved hood would be nice, similar design to that of a Dodge Viper.

Price it right and people will buy.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss25/squaddy11/dodge-viper-srt10-front.jpg

Edited by DieHARDmitsu.

What we need are carbon rear hatch with plexi for the glass. Have you ever tried to lift the hatch on your quest without the pistons on it? Holy smokes those things are crazy heavy. A stock hood weighs around 20 lbs. So you might save 10 to 15 lbs. The rear hatch? I can't even guess how much that pig weighs. It's gotta be in the 50 lb range easy. We could shave 30 lbs off the car in the rear with a better hatch. And you could build in a cool roof spoiler!!!! lol

What we need are carbon rear hatch with plexi for the glass. Have you ever tried to lift the hatch on your quest without the pistons on it? Holy smokes those things are crazy heavy. A stock hood weighs around 20 lbs. So you might save 10 to 15 lbs. The rear hatch? I can't even guess how much that pig weighs. It's gotta be in the 50 lb range easy. We could shave 30 lbs off the car in the rear with a better hatch. And you could build in a cool roof spoiler!!!! lol

The hatch itself isn't the weight problem. It's the glass. I plan on getting a Lexan hatch glass and that should solve the weight problem. I need to purchase a loaner rear glass to send out to get one made.

May I suggest making a Carbon Fiber scoop hood. Many StarQuest owners would like to have one of those on their car but can justify $850 shipped for a damn hood. A slightly curved hood would be nice, similar design to that of a Dodge Viper.

Price it right and people will buy.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss25/squaddy11/dodge-viper-srt10-front.jpg

I'm assuming you meant to say CAN'T justify $850, right?

Go search around on Ebay for carbon fiber hoods and check out the prices. Most of the hoods on there for under 800 ar for high production cars where they are sure to sell thousands of parts. Then they can spread the cost of R&D and tool building over thousands of parts instead of just a few parts, like what would sell on an obscure car like the SQs. MK1 made their CF hoods overseas and for about as cheap as can be made for low production cars, and I think his price was still around $700.

Just be glad we don't have obscure and exotic cars like Porsches or Lambos... Those CF hoods go for $2k-$5k

I'm sure there's some company out there that could make super cheap CF hoods for our cars, but what would you rather have, a cheap hood with crap quality, or a quality hood that cost a little more?

I think I found a decent hookup for at least fiberglass parts. I'm going to send them a couple of my molds to make some parts for me, and see what the quality is like. I'm gonna have them do some of my Kia spoilers first, since they are smaller, cheaper parts compared to some others I sell. If the quality on those are good, I'm gonna send my SQ hood molds over and have them make up a couple hoods to ensure there's good quality there too. If so, I'm going to have them start doing all my FG molding and also try and come up with some other molds for parts that they can make. They claim they can make the parts I make for about 33% less, and it would save me from having to do the itchy work myself anymore.

Edited by Burton

If all that works out... would they in turn ship the hood back to you... or would they ship direct to your customer? Thus perhaps off-setting some of the shipping costs? I know this would be a ways down the road, but just thinking about our conversations lately regarding the hood?

I'm assuming you meant to say CAN'T justify $850, right?

Go search around on Ebay for carbon fiber hoods and check out the prices. Most of the hoods on there for under 800 ar for high production cars where they are sure to sell thousands of parts. Then they can spread the cost of R&D and tool building over thousands of parts instead of just a few parts, like what would sell on an obscure car like the SQs. MK1 made their CF hoods overseas and for about as cheap as can be made for low production cars, and I think his price was still around $700.

Just be glad we don't have obscure and exotic cars like Porsches or Lambos... Those CF hoods go for $2k-$5k

I'm sure there's some company out there that could make super cheap CF hoods for our cars, but what would you rather have, a cheap hood with crap quality, or a quality hood that cost a little more?

I think I found a decent hookup for at least fiberglass parts. I'm going to send them a couple of my molds to make some parts for me, and see what the quality is like. I'm gonna have them do some of my Kia spoilers first, since they are smaller, cheaper parts compared to some others I sell. If the quality on those are good, I'm gonna send my SQ hood molds over and have them make up a couple hoods to ensure there's good quality there too. If so, I'm going to have them start doing all my FG molding and also try and come up with some other molds for parts that they can make. They claim they can make the parts I make for about 33% less, and it would save me from having to do the itchy work myself anymore.

Yeah I meant "can't" justify

These are carbon hoods that cost around $500 or less

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-IS300-00-05-01-02-03-04-Carbon-Fiber-OEM-Hood-/160641862881?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AIS300&vxp=mtr&hash=item2567004ce1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-01-Honda-Prelude-OEM-Vis-Racing-Carbon-Fiber-Hood-/400224855850?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d2f42a72a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-MITSUBISHI-ECLIPSE-2G-DSM-SEIBON-OEM-CARBON-HOOD-/150694851604?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item23161cf414

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-Nissan-240SX-2dr-OEM-BLK-Carbon-Fiber-Hood-VIS-/150662123222?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2314298ed6

And they have more @ $500 or less for cars that are few in numbers like MK3 supras, s13 240sx ect.

just my 2 Cents

Well, comparing Supra, 240 and Prelude parts to SQ parts is like comparing apples to oranges, because there is a huge desire/demand for those cars, very unlike our beloved SQs.

For instance... The Z32 300ZX (90-96) had similar US production numbers as our SQs, but people want those cars, and therefore, the parts for them in much larger quantity than our cars. A manufacturer can build a mold for 2000 bucks and expect to sell 100 units or more. They can then spread the mold cost over those 100+ parts ($20 a hood or less). Now if someone makes the same $2000 mold for SQ hoods, but only sells 10 of them, then each hood costs $200 before you even figure in material and labor costs. We'll say the cost to make, market and sell each hood "costs" $400 before the mold and R&D cost, no matter what car it is for. The final cost for the hood that sells 100 units is $420 for each hood where as the final cost for the hood that sold 10 units would be $600.

The obscurity of our cars is more important than the production numbers. If our cars were more well known, and more desireable like the Supras, 240's, Preludes, etc..., then we'd not only see more vendors making parts, but also parts for cheaper. Also, keep in mind... as with any CF product there will be quality units, and cheap units. We'll use the Z32 as an example again. Bcause of the demand for those cars and parts, there are a number of vendors that sell CF hoods for them. I can spend anywhere from $300-800 given the different choices. Do I want a $300 hood that doesn't fit worth a damn and will cloud up after a while because they used a cheap UV protection, or do I want a QUALITY part that fits good, uses OEM hinge and latch hardware and looks good for years to come? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't even consider the low quality part.

All of this comes down to money. If different vendors could come in here, make and sell parts, and be profitable, we would have more aftermarket parts choices than we know what to do with. Case closed.

• 1 year later...
We need more people who have some $$$ and like to do these things for the Starquest for a hobby and not a profit. I being one of these people have started to do this....however I need help from some others who have more expertise, skills, and or tools to get it done.

We need more people who have some $$$ and like to do these things for the Starquest for a hobby and not a profit. I being one of these people have started to do this....however I need help from some others who have more expertise, skills, and or tools to get it done.

I'm right here with you my friend. Every product initial run I do has a bare-bones profit if any...the profit comes in the long run...after startup costs, etc, etc is all taken care of. This is something I do to preserve the community, as well as have a little fun.

Nick

Edited by NikoFab

I'm right here with you my friend. Every product initial run I do has a bare-bones profit if any...the profit comes in the long run...after startup costs, etc, etc is all taken care of. This is something I do to preserve the community, as well as have a little fun.

Nick

Now that's what I am talking about. And I see you already have several items to purchase. Thanks.

Dax

Nick

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The hatch weighs 55-56 lbs. Its not only the glass but the stupid rubber wing.

Truth. I would love a notchback hatch like something below. I've seem them for old supras and RX-7's too. Would drop a ton of weight for sure.

http://www.bodykits.net/images/bodykits_net/166449/00.jpg

http://www.spohn.net/productimages/1713/Fiberglass-Rear-Notchback-Hatch-1982-1992-F-Body-Camaro-Firebird-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

they need to have reproduction inserts in them :(

No they don't. I have one of the proto types from the first run. One of the problems is the inserts. They need to be truly molded so the C/F pattern matches. This would also allow them to be opened up. The other problem being, it wasn't made as a true C/F hood.... IE whole thing made of C/F and not a F/G under with a C/F skin. The C/F isn't even wraped around the edge.