Got fired today

Truth

Yup... almost exactly one month into getting my license, the head broker fired me today. She said she didn't think I had the drive to succeed in the real estate business. Need I remind you guys that I've had my license for ONE month. She started sending me buyers mere days after I started. There is NO training program for newly licensed agents either... you're expected to pester the other agents for help when you need it. I have been working part time there for over a year, and she had been pestering me to get my license for a long time, so I got them. So I've spent over $1,500 getting started and she fires me a month later. She even fired me from doing my part time work that I had continued to do. Wanna guess how she canned me? By e-mail. Lame.

It's really the money that kinda makes me ill. That's a lot of money to have thrown down the toilet. I can always go work somewhere else, or go into property managing (which is what I'm going to look into.) The team I was fired from knows there stuff, but she has unrealistic expectations. Just sucks being given up on that soon ya know. At any rate, I still have my full time job at the grocery store and I'll still be coming to Pigeon Forge this weekend. One door closes, and another one opens!

Oh yeah... someone BUY MY DAMN CAR!!!111

I wonder if you can claim damages over the termination. Some states have laws that you cant be fired without a reason. Also, depending on how things are, they might be liable to compensate you for your training.

But bedsides that, cant you be a private real estator on the side and sell like a house a month with your license?

That sucks man. I see this alot with car sales people. The managers push so hard that many people that are geniunely good sales people get fired/quit.

Its a damn shame and no way to treat people.

Good luck man.

From experience most employment laws in North Carolina are pro-employer. I was lucky in my situation where I had a significant pay cut of 43% for no justifiable reason. Needless to say I won my unemployment hearing after I quit. Also, employment lawyers are very expensive and typically have no interest unless the case involves thousands of dollars.

I'm definitely not suing or anything... but when I turn in my materials tomorrow I might give her a piece of my mind. Might as well get my money's worth, ya know. The whole thing has just left a sour taste in my mouth.

In the long run you will come out better. Sounds like you worked for a jerk. My Mother in Law is an agent and there is no reason for a decent agency to treat people that way unless it was an Indecent Proposal thing and you didn't want to get a raise.

If you had a regular income with them is there a chance you could draw unemployment from them? And I wouldn't turn anything in, unless you've got a paycheck coming. Leave everything in the car until they've settled up with you.

Did you reply to the fired emial? I'd jsut keep showing up like it never happened ;) Let her tell you in person, then give her your piece of mind.

Sounds like you might qualify for unemployment. Here anyway, you qualify if your hours get cut or you loose a 2nd job if your income falls below a certain threshold. Having worke dthere as long as you had prior, you have an establishe dincome that is now gone thoguh no direct fault of your own.

Sorry to hear that Dude, my job was terminated back in Nov. however, I trained my replacement and I was terminated "at will" so in PA since they aren't obligated, they aren't gracious enough to supply you with a reason. So, I know what you mean about the bad taste. Many times I've contemplated tossing a large object through the windows or hacking the Ethernet cables that run outside for the network bridges that I installed, but I digress :) Just stay positive, something cool will come out of all of this.

-N8

You want to work for Keller Williams if they're in your area. Might be hard to get on as a brand new guy, but if you weren't being trained, I know you weren't working for KW. Just don't prove her right and lose your "drive to succeed" in real estate. Housing is coming around. It'll be a good time to have a license. Now, as a home owner, I will add that many of the more savvy buyers are getting pretty fed up with exorbitant broker fees. I think an aggressive freelance agent willing to work for 1.5 or 2% commission might do well. You'll see buyer's agents offering to sell the home for free in the future if you buy with them. That's another option. I'm happy to use an agent as a buyer, since the seller is paying my agent's fee. As a seller though, I'd be highly unlikely to use an agent.