Slow Seatbelts

Killtodie

It's actually a lot more simple than what everyone will make it out to be. To do it right and proper, you'll want to remove the whole assembly ( motor and tape )

Start by removing the A-pillar trim. You'll also want to remove the backseat, and the rear side interior panels. You'll see the motor behind some seal tar type plastic. Attached to it is the long tape assembly. CAREFULLY move your headliner back along the door frame edges and you'll see where that bolts to the car, undo those screws/bolts down the A-pillar and remove the assembly.

Note: The tape travels down into the bottom of the door frame, but it doesn't attach to anything there. It just literally slides out.

From there you can unbolt the tape guide from the actual seatbelt motor. I'd recommend both taking a look at the motor ( regreasing it and testing it ) and the tape itself - it's possible that after years of use the holes for the teeth have just split open. If at any point you've forced the seatbelt into open/close position when it stuck, chances are the tape ripped and it will be needing to be replaced - at least that was my case.

When reassembling, use lithium grease to grease the tracks. Avoid the weatherstripping. That ish is petroleum based. Hard lesson learned on my end <_<

Take your time and be careful :D

Edited by Fanta

Looks like I'm getting different advice. I plan on using Synthetic Grease I got lying around. Are people recommending me to lubricate the plastic chain? I'm sure I read some warning label saying to not lubricate it.

I dont mind getting to the motor, just want to know how involved that part is.

I use teflon spray with the hollow tube. It dries and doesn't hold any dirt.

For What It's Worth

KEN

hmm in theroy we could use spray graphite, or silicon too right? as long as it drys dry

Looks like I'm getting different advice. I plan on using Synthetic Grease I got lying around. Are people recommending me to lubricate the plastic chain? I'm sure I read some warning label saying to not lubricate it.

the fellow above makes sense, if you use any normal lub (aka liquidish) dirt will stick in it

any wont you know it, all i had to do was read this thread when i was at work, and when i went to leave my damn driver seat belt wouldnt go back lol

Being as the track sits inside the door...moisture will get in...doesn't matter how but it will get in, trust me. Lubricting the track will help, but you need a lubricant that does NOT attract or is affected by moisture. The only one I can think of that fits the bill is spray graphite, kinda expensive, around 9 bucks a 16 oz can. Home centers and auto parts stores should have it. It works well, still working when other kinds need a re-aplication.

As for the belt motor...unless you've worked on small DC motors before, don't do anything...take it to a motor repair shop for testing/repairs. The most common part replacement in these motors is the comuntator brushes. If you've worked on these motors before, then you know how to take them apart and test properly. Make sure when you reinstall the motor, you get the wires back on the proper connection...polarity is important.

alright, now I am really confused as to what I should lubricate. I was planning on lubing the chain/gearing on the motor, not its inside. I clearly remember reading a warning label on the car somewhere that says not to lubricate the plastic chain.

So what should I do?

I feel the pain of a slow seatbelt too. My drivers side easily takes 15-20 seconds bfore it fully retracts, rediculous. I read in the FSM it's supposed to take 2.5 seconds to fully retract back and forth. The passenger side is slow but not that bad. It's worse when it is cold outside like stated above. I'm with toadie I'dlike to know the best remedy for thisproblem.

i did not lube, remove the plastic piece at the motor that the belt travels through and you see the problem, the old lube collects there like a clogged artery. cleaning that part worked for me. it's easy to get to.

I've always used Lithium grease in a spray can without any problems.

Bill