Will car start with a disconnected lower coolant temp sensor?

88FIJIQUEST

I recently posted a thread about my car not starting after possibly shorting out the ECU, ingitor, or some relay.

However I realized that at the same time, my connection to my coolant temp sensor where the upper coolant hose connects (the lower sensor not the upper one close to the hose itself) is shattered and not connected whatsoever to the sensor. If this connection is broken will it prevent the car from starting?

I recently posted a thread about my car not starting after possibly shorting out the ECU, ingitor, or some relay.

However I realized that at the same time, my connection to my coolant temp sensor where the upper coolant hose connects (the lower sensor not the upper one close to the hose itself) is shattered and not connected whatsoever to the sensor. If this connection is broken will it prevent the car from starting?

no

I haven't had the time (nor the weather) to splice the new harness on yet. However, I found the proper name for this sensor in the FSM, it says it is a "Engine coolant temperature switch (for vehicles with an air conditioner)"

Knowing exactly which sensor I am talking about now do you still agree that the car will not start if disconnected?

I haven't had the time (nor the weather) to splice the new harness on yet. However, I found the proper name for this sensor in the FSM, it says it is a "Engine coolant temperature switch (for vehicles with an air conditioner)"

Knowing exactly which sensor I am talking about now do you still agree that the car will not start if disconnected?

The Engine Coolant Temp. Switch will not impeed your car from starting. What does the switch look like? Is it a single prong, or a dual prong plug? Irregardless, Neither the Engine Coolant Temp. switch or the Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor will stop your car from starting.

Thats the coolant temp switch. The coolant temp sensor is the one prong in the t-stat housing.

I hate to disagree with you but the Coolant Temp. Sensor has two prongs and is located in the Intake Manifold itself. The Coolant Temp. Switch is located in the Thermostat housing. The Coolant Temp. Gauge Unit is also located in the Intake Manifold. 1987 Starion FSM Volume No.1 Section 7 Page 28. Cooling- Coolant Temperature Gauge Unit.

CALIBER 308

• 3 years later...
Thread may have been dead but the "quest" continues. So im hoping the two wire switch will solve my problem. Car is running very rich. I believe that switch is bad. Also the temp gauge pegs out in about 30 seconds. Im thinking maybe i have the two single wire connectors swapped

you need to look up swt and sensor locations,, there is only one sensor that's the CTS,,the others are 1 senders

(temp gauge)and 2 swts for auto trans and a/c

a missing CTS sensor will throw the ecu into open loop,,causeing you to run super rich,,

the other swts and senders will not effect the engines running