What to do about engine mounts?

Technology

I got this idea from Ryan's sway bar thread. I almost posted this in there, then remembered where I was.

My car's engine shakes around a lot and moves side to side when it idles really low (which shouldn't be a problem anymore with this new ICS) or starting up or shutting down. I can't imagine what it's doing with a hard launch or wheel hop.

I have ridden in a car with poly engine mounts though and I thought it was way too much shaking. I want my car to be the most friendly-to-drive ~400whp conquest ever. I got the light-pedal-feel clutch figured out, idle solenoid, quieter exhaust, etc. But I don't like the engine moving around so much. What are your recommendations?

One poly mount and one stock? Two new stock mounts?

This sounds really ghetto, but ...

... hockey pucks.

I have built so many engine mounts using hockey pucks as isolator material, and they respond amazingly. It requires a bit of custom fab in most cases, but for what little cost, it's great.

Guess I should take a look at my stock engine mounts and see if/how I can fab something up, maybe I'll build some inserts or something.

man,i really appreciate your goals.so many people want that kind of hp and are willing to give up everything to get it.id say new stock mounts.do you think your shaking is the resuilt a larger cam?

i would say new rubber mounts. then fab up some sort of torque stop that is going to limit the torqueing of the engine after a certain point. i have solid steel mounts in my car and they drove me crazy then i sorted out alot of little gremlins and its actually not bad at all. the tranny moutn is whats giving me some funky harmonics.

This sounds really ghetto, but ...

... hockey pucks.

I have built so many engine mounts using hockey pucks as isolator material, and they respond amazingly. It requires a bit of custom fab in most cases, but for what little cost, it's great.

Guess I should take a look at my stock engine mounts and see if/how I can fab something up, maybe I'll build some inserts or something.

---NotStock88 "likes" this LOL

Time for an old school V8 guy to chime in. Poly mounts give you a harsh ride but the same result can be had from an engine limiter while still using stock mounts and not sacrificing ride comfort.

Engine limiters are simply an adjustable brace between the chassis and the drivers side of the engine. Usually mounted around the top 1/3 of the engine. Old school limiters were simply a chain bolted to the frame and the engine to limit how far engine torque could move the motor. Newer styles look better but do the same job. It's just a 3rd motor mount that stops the engine from flexing the rubber mounts.

Cool, I guess it could use new stock mounts and one of those torque dampers. I like that idea and I wouldn't be "afeard" to use that setup. Cool, I'm going to search for those things now. I've seen them in magazines on 240's and such. Just finding a place to mount it will be the hardest part.

Thanks guys.

I got this idea from Ryan's sway bar thread. I almost posted this in there, then remembered where I was.

You're in close proximity to the crystal clear waters of Lake Minnetonka where Prince and his crew play basketball in full club attire then drink from the aforementioned waters while eating pancakes following the game. :lol:

Here (possibly NSFW): http://vimeo.com/1720918

Edit: Sorry for the OT post, whenever I see/hear Minnetonka the first thing that comes to mind is the Chappelle show skit.

Edited by 1989Quest

man,i really appreciate your goals.so many people want that kind of hp and are willing to give up everything to get it.id say new stock mounts.do you think your shaking is the resuilt a larger cam?

The cam I have now is pretty mild, only a 274h. It idles at 800rpm very smoothly (as in the RPM doesn't move around or dip really).

several years ago, i saw pics of a 4x4 d50 with like 40" tires and a 2.6 and some nasty gearing. the owner stated that under extreme torque situations he was having trouble with the engine ripping the motor mounts from all the torque and stressing. he built a interesting setup and used 2 o.e. motor mounts on each side of the motor. now granted this thing was lifted to hades and had a nice body lift so there was pretty much nothing in the way, but it looked pretty simple. looked like just a piece of 3"X x?length flat stock bolted to the bosses behind the engine mount and maybe some gussets, and something similar off under the frame side of the motor mount to provide a place to attatch the second motor mount. it looked like the driver side extra mount was in front of the frame and the pass side was behind the crossmember. guy claimed it didnt vibrate and felt like stock, just doubled up the strength.