have about 5000 to spend. suggest another car to buy

patra_is_here

so i'm sorta thinking about buying another car. i want something quick, fun, sorta interesting, maybe a bit rare, and preferably a cult car, and something that will make a fun long term project like my starion has been. and ideally the car would already have work done to it, because the catch is it's going to be through a bank, so, buying a cheap car and then lots of aftermarket parts is not an option.

please make some suggestions.

so far i'm thinking of :

an older 911, maybe pre smog, kinda beat

maybe a nice e30 bmw

a pre 65 VW beetle

any of the 'compact' cars from the muscle car era, valiant, nova, falcon etc

please give more options! i look forward to what you will suggest. (keeping my SQ btw)

Edited by patra_is_here

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk if you like them but I just bought a 2005 Miata and loveeeeee it :D. It handles good, and is RWD and a vert. They are not the fastest, but very fun to drive. They really have a good local community and parts are damn cheeeeeep!

SVX is very cool.

if i go miata, it's gonna be a track car with pop up lights, then i can run it in spec miata at the racetracks.

vr4 is FWD?

The 4 in VR-4 stands for 4 wheel drive. AKA AWD.

5k... I'd probably buy a hella nice SQ. Or make mine HELLA nice.

-Robert

If 4 means 4 wheel drive what does the V and the R mean?

Just Mitsubishi's way of designating trim levels and options.

Japan

2.0 L 4G63 engine, apart from GSR-VR which has 2.6 L 4G54 engine.

The Japanese domestic market had a large range of Starions to choose from.

* GX - 1982–1983 (non turbo)

* GSR-I,GSR-II,GSR-III, GSR-X - 1982–1984

* GSR-II, GSR-III,GSR-X,GSR-V - 1985–1986 - can be distinguished from the earlier starions by driving lights in the front bumper

* GSR-V - 1986–1987 - some had Sirius Dash engine

* GSR-VR - 1987–1990 (widebody)

The Roman numeral after 'GSR' denotes the vehicle specification. Some examples can be found below:

* GSR-I - base model

* GSR-II - power steering and electric windows

* GSR-III - improved audio system, trip computer system, digital dash cluster, and air conditioning.

* GSR-X - leather interior replaced the cloth, climate control, air conditioning, cruise control

-Robert

buy my quest. As soon as I get my other one running in the next week or 2 I'll be be selling my stock daily driver quest. It's a good running reliable car.

Or buy mine that is in pieces and fix it. :lol:

Get an old A-body MoPar like a Dart or Valiant. Shoot for '66-'67 or '71-'72, 2-doors. I've owned two of them, one with the 225ci 'Slant Six' and one with the 318ci V8, they are great little cars and being your in Cali, most you'll find will probably be not so rusty. Edited by dmyers151

Datsun 240Z, have a variety of turbo engine options and transmissions etc. with all the later Z models. Or go all out and do an SR20 or RB25, RB26 skyline engine. IMHO one of the best looking classics there is, with a lot of potential. I also had a nice Porsche 914 that I bought to do a 911 swap in, that car was amazingly fun with the stock 90hp. Those are kind of odd little cars that you don't see everyday, and with the flared fenders and a little HP, you have a sweet little go-cart.