Import Showdown, Reynolds Ga, May 1 & 2

JAinsworth

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blew the HG today....don't know if I'm going to be able to get a new one in time for the meet....

WTH Braden......you couldn't wait a week so you could have at least blamed it on me...LOL. Your local stores should have the Felpro.

im running the fel pro right now and so far its held longer than any of the other gaskets ive popped. including 2 ajusa's and a cometic(i think it was cometic). so far, so good on the fel pro.

braden, were the nuts on the studs loose, or did the nuts back out the studs a little. i double nutted mine and made them seat pretty tightly. also the last time i had an issue it was like my hg walked out from under the head, so i tightened it a little tighter than the stock spec. seems like i went to 100 ft lbs instead of like 80.

Each time I've replaced the head gasket after replacing/rebuilding the head I've used a Felpro head gasket too. Never had one blow out. Of course I'm not running the boost levels that you guys are either.

FWI - back in the late '60's, MOPAR came out with a TSB for the Hemi's and 440 engines when installing heads on those HIPO blocks. They said to use a thin continuous layer of Never-Seize on the block deck and the bottom of the cylinder head mating surfaces. The head gasket was sandwiched in between. Seems as though the never -seize helps the head gasket "squish" down "more" evenly during torquing & retorquing of the head fasteners and acts a sort of sealer for the gasket

I've found over the years, another added good thing about using it is, that it is relatively easy to clean the residue off the engine deck & head surfaces and the head gasket comes off easily.

Plus I've never blown a head gasket using MOPAR's Never-Seize method plus the following steps.

Personally, I like Grant's method of after cleaning the stud holes & blowing 'em out with air, double nut the studs tight better. Here's the way we used to install head studs back in the "old days." We would chase the threads in the block to clean up any potential dings or stuff out of the threads. Then we'd blow the holes out with air. After that, we used to make sure there was nothing in the bottom of the head fastener holes, by using a long cotton tipped swab in the hole bottoms. Even after blowing the holes out with air we frequently got residue and debris out of 'em on the cotton. Then we would apply a thin lite strip of Never-Seize down the lenght of the threaded portion of the stud making sure that there was no Never-seize on the bottom 2 stud threads and the stud bottom. Then using the double nut method we would torque each stud to 40 FT LBS to make sure they were tightly locked in the hole bottom.

Then we would retorque the head fasteners each time after a minimum of 3 engine run ins.

You probably already know this, if you are going to use Loctite use the blue stuff. Just make sure that you blow out each stud hole with air and the stud hole's threads are absolutely clean and OIL FREE. You will have a heck of a time getting the head studs out if you use the red stuff.

I'm wondering if you do use Loctite, whether or not it will form a air pocket at the bottom of the stud hole cuz you are sealing the threads and if the trapped air in the hole will have a way to vent out as you screw the studs in, which may keep you from bottoming out in the hole. Maybe someone else has some experience with this.

For What It's Worth

KEN

Head studs should NOT be bottomed out. Bottom them then back them off a 1/4 turn. If you bottom them out, your torquing against the stud tip and block and not using the threads. During heat cycling, it puts crazy stress on the stud and can stretch the threads (thereby loosening the head clamping force) or even crack a block in an absolute worst case scenario. Not a huge deal on the old Mopars, but with the G54b it can get you in trouble.

pretty sure mine dont bottom out actually. seems like they simply bottom out against the threads at the deck height/unthreaded portion of the studs. kinda tells you to stop right there. i dont think the threaded portion was long enough to be able to bottom in the bottom of the hole. actually, now that this comes up im curious if im right or not. im not tearing it apart to find out unless there is trouble.

hey anyone whos coming to jimmys, i need a decent quality 3" coupler, straight. i dont really want to order one from anywhere and pay shipping and i just need 1. i have no place local that sells them. anyone got one, id appreciate it. will bring money with me to jimmys.

Jimmy,

How many people are coming to the Showdown on Sunday with you? I would like to meet up with everyone sometime and check out everyones cars. I will be there some where around the guys from 4G Performance since their shop is next door to me. Let me know and I'll come by to meet everyone.

Thanks, Andy owner of PHD (Performance Hose Distributing)

Jimmy,

How many people are coming to the Showdown on Sunday with you? I would like to meet up with everyone sometime and check out everyones cars. I will be there some where around the guys from 4G Performance since their shop is next door to me. Let me know and I'll come by to meet everyone.

Thanks, Andy owner of PHD (Performance Hose Distributing)

I would guess at least 8-10 with starquests. Could be more, we never know til they get here.

Jimmy

LOL jon...I would be the first to admit....So others don't repeat this mistake...

30 ft lbs is alot...All my gaskets will be in tomorrow and I'll get it back together. Grant..I have a black 3 in coupler if you want it...?

There will be 5 SQ's in my group with another one possible on Sunday. We could certainly go well over the 10 mark.

So who's showing in a SQ???

1) Dad (NOTPRPL)

2) Randy (YellerBeast89)

3) Scott (Pagemo)

4) Matt (LivesTsi)

5) Jonathan (not even sure he ever registered)

6) Dan (Batdude.....a maybe)

There will be 5 SQ's in my group with another one possible on Sunday. We could certainly go well over the 10 mark.

So who's showing in a SQ???

1) Dad (NOTPRPL)

2) Randy (YellerBeast89)

3) Scott (Pagemo)

4) Matt (LivesTsi)

5) Jonathan (not even sure he ever registered)

6) Dan (Batdude.....a maybe)

I will not be making it out for sunday :(

Jimmy it want be until Sunday before I can come down. Please let me know what time to be there.

Thanks