Funky Phil's Funk Lock Engine Mount!

Hey folks, i just picked up one of Funky Phil's Da funk lock engine mounts that replaces the driver's side mount and all I can say is WOW! This thing really works to reduce the movement of the engine at idle as well as when revving. There's literally NO tip in movement. I had just installed a new set of stock mounts and by comparison this thing ROCKS! Even in my MPI car with a 284m cam, the engine is kept in check nicely. I'm not sure if it's taboo or not, but here's a link to his thread on the 2.6liter.us site. I'll be posting pics and video of my car running sometime this weekend.

http://www.26liter.u...hp?topic=5628.0

Edited by CaliConquestAlex
  • Like 1

Nice part. I use the old school method for engine control,.... bailing wire. I know it sounds odd but you take 10 lengths of wire and twist it into a rope. Then wrap it tight around both sides of the motor mount and twist it together with pliers till it doesn't move. The rubber mount controls vibration and the bailing wire controls engine movement. I did this to one of my old trucks when the drivers side engine mount broke while offroading. 6 months later the wire was still holding tight.

for the life of me i don't understand your comment about the engine shake at idle

a pure stock engine with bal shafts will hold a glass of water with almost no movement,, even with out bal shafts and or MPi there is no reason to have any shakeing unless you have some serious bal or runing problems

and yes i have ran these engine in almost all configureations includeing a 284 cam , TBi and MPi

It looks good. I guess if you're making a boat load of hp over stock, leaning becomes an issue.

yea it def does look good. trick is ive never seen my engine lean under load. when it was on the dyno it was rock solid and pulled hard, with just a tiny amount of lean. matter of fact i would say its probabaly so slight it was very acceptable. of course that was with brand new o.e. style motor and trans mounts. pushing 330 hp

the purpose of the mount has nothing to do with idle. Its to control the harsh movement when shifting on the track. A side effect would be reduced early throttle tip in movement.

I also had new oem mounts and my engine would nearly hop out of the engine bay when power shifting and sitting the launch control.

imagine what it does when launching.

Da Funk Lock keeps that all in check. Just ask 4cylfury....

drivers side motor mount came with a movement limiter,,but most guys leave them off

steel plate use'd the same bolt holes as the mount bracket and had a hook made to stop the mount from moveing more then .5" or less

The poly used seems to be a bit softer than the usual hard poly that many aftermarket bushings and mounts are made of. I haven't noticed any additional vibration over a stock mount. Like I said...I had a new set of stock style aftermarket mounts installed before I put this thing in so I was able to do a comparison versus stock and this mount blows away the stock mount. The piece is well made and built to last. Phil assured me that I shouldn't have to worry about the bushing for a LOOOONG time. Edited by CaliConquestAlex

I am also running Da Funk lock, if you want some serious throttle response get it while you can, I have about 1200 miles on mine, it works phenomenally no extra vibration like the stedbani hard mounts.

• 2 months later...

Finally got my Funk Lock installed today!

So here's my impression

My engine would rock like a cradle at start up/shut down and when I cracked the throttle it would literally lift an inch on the drivers side.

With this mount in there it barely moves at all. Matter of fact when I crack the throttle now it torques the car pretty good

Clutch engagement is a huge difference too. Rock solid compared to new OEM mounts with about 2k on them. What used to be a good launch, now breaks traction.

The only downside to this mount is the added vibration. My idle isn't exactly perfect to begin with but this mount seriously amplifies that. Idling at 900-1k it is pretty harsh but smooths out nicely when driving the car or revving it just a little. Honestly this is probably more of a tune issue and error on my end. It's a far more rigid mount. Extra vibration is to be expected.

I wish I had a video of before and after installing this. It really is night and day.

Over all I'm very happy with it!!!

I really love this mount and have had mine for probably 3000 miles. It is a quality peice that went in easy and has helped control the torque of my motor tremendously. I have a new stock passenger side mount and Polly trans mount and my car does rattle around a little at idle with a mild cam at about 900rpm. I have noticed a big increase in throttle response. That's my take on it. Worth the buy for a well modified quest in my opinion.