Jump to content



kev

Member Since 04 Mar 2002
Offline Last Active Yesterday, 07:38 PM
*****

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Rest in Peace John aka Starquestrescue

11 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

Such horrible news.  I finally met John in person this past January.  He was such a polite and friendly person.  I love his black conquest.  I'm so impressed by his work.   He will be greatly missed.




In Topic: Techboy's 88 Starion SHP Save ....

11 June 2018 - 08:59 AM

Great meeting you last week!  I'm glad those A pillar covers came to good use.  They would have just laid in my garage collecting dust for more years.  


In Topic: GB Remanufacturing Inc. Fuel Injectors?

25 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

From GB Remanufacturing's product literature, it is the same service as what others provide:

Posted Image

Not saying it isn't good, just that there are more cost effective sources.

Kevin

In Topic: GB Remanufacturing Inc. Fuel Injectors?

25 May 2018 - 09:51 AM

What is the difference between that or going to an injector cleaning company like witchunter, mr. injector, etc?   I highly doubt the injector is 'rebuilt', only cleaned and flow tested.   Witchunter and other injector services companies are half the cost.  

I recently used "Injector Repair LLC' out of Glenville, NY to clean/flow test my rochester injectors for my MPI system.  It was only $17 per injector.  They found an internal leak on one of them that couldn't be fixed.  The owner called me and had a 15 minute or so discussion with me on the issue, how he checked/diagnosed it, and options moving forward including where to buy a replacement.  I couldn't me more pleased with their service.  

Kevin

In Topic: kev's restoration - viper blue tsi

25 May 2018 - 06:44 AM

Trunk area:

Pulling out all of the carpeted parts of the trunk including a few spares that I had readily available

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the rear decks, I had three sets of these in my garage and chose to go with this set that was taken from an 86 starion (the donor car for most of the sheet metal that I used on this car's restoration).  

I'm using the 89 rear seat belts that have the 3 pt (I have two kids that I plan to ride along with me in this car frequently).  That meant that these decks needed modification...only to find that the decks already had provisions for the 3 pt belts.

Posted Image

Just had to pop out this plastic rectangle and cut the carpet.  I was very surprised to see this on an 86 deck despite our cars not having the shoulder belt provision until 89.  

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The rear decks were in great shape after a steam cleaning.  The 86 decks had these carpeted speaker covers which were in excellent shape but starting to fade blue.   So a quick touch up with SEM color coat satin black.

Posted Image

Posted Image


Had to clean up the rear most carpeted cover a bit.  I picked this one up from StarquestRescue when I got my dash a few months back.  It was in better shape then the others I had despite being the 'dirtiest', but that is easy to amend with a steam cleaner.  

Posted Image

Just had to glue down the end of the rubber trim pieces.  And those plastic rectangles around the hatch latches were broken.  I was able to conjure up two good ones out of my spare parts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

All of the carpeted pieces all vacuumed and steam cleaned:

Posted Image

And installed.

Posted Image

Next up was the back seat.  I had to re-dye the side bolsters for the manual seat belts.  These were taken from an 86.  I sprayed these with the SEM classic coat dye.  The positive was the SEM classic coat matched the SEM color coat (although neither really matched the OEM buckskin correctly).  The negative is that the classic coat took many more applications to change the color.  To the point where I used the entire can just to re-dye these bolsters.  Thus, I decided not to experiment with the rear leather seat.  I simply cleaned it up and tossed it in the car for now.  You can see the difference between the factory buckskin and what I re-dyed with the SEM products here.  I'll get this matched up better when I redo the upholstery this winter.  Still not sure if I will have the rear seat upholstered along with the fronts or just get these dyed to match.  We'll see.  The only reason to reupholster is the upper black leather on the rears is a bit sun beaten.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All that is left on the interior are the front seats, the steering wheel, and the privacy cover.  I completely forgot about the privacy cover when I was steam cleaning.  Actually, I'm having trouble even locating the privacy cover.  I believe it is buried inside one of my other project cars.   No rush on it though.    The front seats and steering wheel just need cleaned and tossed in for the time being.