If I don't respond to this post again today...

JustPaus_88TSi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to chime in here, Arizona laws are whacko. Additionally, Arizona law enforcement is woefully undertrained and unable to use critical thinking skills in the field, from my experience. I do a lot of court-ordered counseling therapy and the events I see are all too often similar to Just Pas' situation.

I had a 65 year old man come in for a DUI assessment last week. He has never done any illegal drugs, has not had alcohol in over 15 years, and only has one prescription (PRN..."as needed") for lower back pain that his wife of 45 years administers to him before bed because she is a retired nurse. He was in an accident and I think due to being disoriented from the collision along with being 65 and having a bad back, was not responding well enough for the officer, so he was arrested for DUI. His breath test was minimal so they took blood. They never got around to getting blood results back in a timely matter and so the courts dismissed the case. HOWEVER, due to AZ laws, he still had to come in and pay 60 bucks for a DUI evaluation from us (which we then report to the DMV) so that he could then head to the DMV and pay more money to apply to have his license reinstated since they yanked it on account of DUI arrest. He will also likely have to deal with SR-22 insurance because DMV will report the license revocation to his insurance company.

Just one example of many messed up situations. Don't get me going about the domestic violence and anger management court ordered situations, either. I used to think police were public servants to protect us. I find that view challenging to keep lately.

Hah. You're very naive.

How about this one? I don't consent to searches, because they are always like a bull in a china shop, and ruin or wreck something in my car.

The last time I got searched, I did not consent, they brough the dog out, they went through the car anyway, and still wrecked the car.

Those 5 police officers are now happily working the Loss Prevention department at WalMart, and I got a lot of cash for the damage.

Butthole? Exercise your rights, or lose your rights. I'm not conceding my right to privacy to some arrogant, cocky, and prying member of the donut brigade. Call me guilty of being a butthole, but that is my right, and I fully intend to exercise it, as far as I have to.

If that means spending 7 months in commisioner's court to fry the tails of 5 dumb cops, so be it. That's MY right, don't trample on it because you got issues with standing up for what's yours.

Tim

Preach on brutha Tim. People have to stand up for themselves and stop being doormats. Even if you have nothing to hide - that's not the point. Cops are not allowed to harass,intimidate or search whenever they feel like it.For every person that makes it easy for them they probably search 2 more people without probable cause.If they had to deploy 5 cops and a dog every time because people refused to give consent we would see searches happen a lot less often.

The only reason they searched Justpaus is because he had a LEGAL firearm (that he told them about immediately) and he may have matched a particular "profile". In either case what probable cause did they have to search the vehicle? Absolutely none. He had a license plate light out so they searched his car - ridiculous!

The more you cower before authority the harder the boot heel presses on your throat.

This may be over dramatizing but to me it's a part of a bigger picture.We have rights that countless thousands of brave men and women died and are still dying for - I won't dishonor there sacrifice and just give my rights away.

P.S. Do people actually think they will let you go because you cooperated..lmao!

Good luck Justpaus.

Just to chime in here, Arizona laws are whacko.

As an aside, we had two officers transfer to departments in Arizona. Both of them returned within a year because of how things were run and how dis-similar things are compared to here.

LOL domestic issues and the Police. I've dealt w/ 2 separate issues in 2 different towns. One I dealt with was battery w/ physical evidence on the abused. @ one point during the night, the ABUSED was threatened with arrest. The other, the abused was pressured into saying nothing happened because they "didn't want to call people and process the case because [it was] Christmas Eve." And that's a quote.

A friend of mine had a 64 Thunderbird. 4 of us were in it and getting tailed by a car w/ its brights on. Bright lights + chrome interior = can't see well @ night. We keep looking back trying to figure out what the deal was. We change lanes to avoid the light and and continue to get followed. The lights finally come on and are removed from the car @ gunpoint. They pat us down and find my asthma spray(yea, what of it!) and start browbeating me about it. They searched the car and all they found was a Power Ranger playing card(no idea) in the back seat.

There are some cool cops, but alot of the one's I've come across are schmucks - especially the ones w/ the most power.

Just to chime in here, Arizona laws are whacko. Additionally, Arizona law enforcement is woefully undertrained and unable to use critical thinking skills in the field, from my experience. I do a lot of court-ordered counseling therapy and the events I see are all too often similar to Just Pas' situation.

I had a 65 year old man come in for a DUI assessment last week. He has never done any illegal drugs, has not had alcohol in over 15 years, and only has one prescription (PRN..."as needed") for lower back pain that his wife of 45 years administers to him before bed because she is a retired nurse. He was in an accident and I think due to being disoriented from the collision along with being 65 and having a bad back, was not responding well enough for the officer, so he was arrested for DUI. His breath test was minimal so they took blood. They never got around to getting blood results back in a timely matter and so the courts dismissed the case. HOWEVER, due to AZ laws, he still had to come in and pay 60 bucks for a DUI evaluation from us (which we then report to the DMV) so that he could then head to the DMV and pay more money to apply to have his license reinstated since they yanked it on account of DUI arrest. He will also likely have to deal with SR-22 insurance because DMV will report the license revocation to his insurance company.

Just one example of many messed up situations. Don't get me going about the domestic violence and anger management court ordered situations, either. I used to think police were public servants to protect us. I find that view challenging to keep lately.

...So retarded.

As I've been here in Tucson for 9 months, I have yet to find any reason anyone would want to stay here. Honestly, crap like this along with the rest of the BS (letting cops onto private parking to search for plates that aren't properly registered for example and don't get me started on speed cameras and speed vans) makes me feel that this city and state has nothing worthwhile in it.

It's sad to say, but I would rather be back in Detroit. Tucson makes Detroit look like a gem comparatively.

sorry - just venting. Can't wait for Spring to get here so I can leave this place. No offense to those that enjoy it here.

I will have to be the dummy that backs Fanta on this one. I have had my share of pull overs and I have denied consent to search 3 times. 2 of the times I end up being hand cuffed and sat on the curb while they rip apart the interior and look under the hood and in the trunk. The 3rd time they impounded my car just to mess with me.

All three times I went to Internal Affairs with it, 2 of the times I was brushed off and the for the time my car was impounded they made the officers apologize to me and I didnt have to pay the impound fees. That did not make it pleasant for me at all, that car was basically on a watch list and I was getting pulled over left and right and being ticketed for anything small. I had to end up selling that car and the harassment ended.