Look What I Found

psu_Crash

Out driving around the back roads today and I saw this Quest along the road. It is sitting in a mowed lot with a whole bunch of other old rusty school busses, RVs and random junk. Looks to me like someone left it for dead and to make it even better someone smashed the windshield with a rock! The rock is still sitting on the car in the pic. Interior is in good shape and it's a 5-speed.

Went to the house nearby to find out what is up with it and talk about redneck. Beat up double wide with signs reading beware of dog, Smith & Wesson Security system and No trespassing. Knocked on the door anyways but no answer.

Went back took these pics and left a note taped to the windshield asking if it was for sale with my name and number. Has 147k on the odometer and it's not an SHP. I couldn't get the hood popped to see if the engine is intact, but just looking as best I could the IC is there with piping and the engine does appear to me in it. Some rust on the rear quarters, right through in one spot.

Going back tomorrow to try and find someone there. What do you think it's worth? Figured I'd offer $250 to start since that's more than the yard will pay for it. Safe to say it doesn't run since the exhaust manifold and turbo along with MAS are in the front pass seat.

Pretty excited about it since I NEVER see others around here in the 10+ years I've been into these cars.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2623/img00055m.jpg

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9112/img00056s.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8430/img00057.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2884/img00058e.jpg

Always wanted one with a sunroof. I'll do my best to wheel and deal the guy/girl. I figure if I show up in my quest maybe with an SQC t-shirt and start telling them how much it will cost to get the thing on the road I can get some leverage.

ive seen a few in my life on some back roads here in delaware and maryland and i was only able to get one...the rest the people didnt want to sell or wanted some ridicolous price...but good luck man....

Always wanted one with a sunroof. I'll do my best to wheel and deal the guy/girl. I figure if I show up in my quest maybe with an SQC t-shirt and start telling them how much it will cost to get the thing on the road I can get some leverage.

Just please be careful. I only say this because there have been two incidents of me happening upon quests in fields. One, I knocked on the trailer, no answer, went to look at the car, was peering into the window when I heard the distinct sound of a shotgun cocking. Turned to face down the barrel of this rednecked, missing tooth, spitting tabacco of a woman toting a 12 gauge shotgun. I asked her if she was interested in selli - no! Are you su- she freakin cocked it again, and I got to witness a shotgun shell eject, and ANOTHER one load into the chamber. I was gone.

The other incident, it was pouring rain, and I spotted one in a field 300ft away up a hill by its headlights. Knocked on the door, nothing, ignored the beware of dog signs. Was looking into the window when I heard a grown... looked up into the face of 2 Rottweilers and a pitbull. Fanta can haul a** when he needs to.

Nice find. Looks very straight and clean, but I think I see some cancer...

After logging over 13000 miles in rust bucket starquests, my tolerance for rust is getting thin. With that said, $250 is a steal. $400-500 isn't even that bad as parts.

I got a flat body that way for $75. It was mostly trashed though, but complete.

Its funny how many people still hold on to their dream even though they know they will never do anything with it. Hopefully they will want to get rid of it for cheap.

SHP was an independent option, as in it wasn't packaged with other options. There were very few available options for our cars, so there wasn't really much to work with as far as "option packages". By 88-89, for the most part the only real options were exterior color, interior color/fabric, sunroof, SHP, automatic or manual transmission, and, umm... that's about it.

On that specific car, SHP is a mute point anyway, it's an '87. Easy to tell, the rear bumper is black, it's got the three piece front spoiler, and the uber-comfy seats. It's not an '86 because it's got the automatic seat belts.

Just please be careful. I only say this because there have been two incidents of me happening upon quests in fields. One, I knocked on the trailer, no answer, went to look at the car, was peering into the window when I heard the distinct sound of a shotgun cocking. Turned to face down the barrel of this rednecked, missing tooth, spitting tabacco of a woman toting a 12 gauge shotgun. I asked her if she was interested in selli - no! Are you su- she freakin cocked it again, and I got to witness a shotgun shell eject, and ANOTHER one load into the chamber. I was gone.

The other incident, it was pouring rain, and I spotted one in a field 300ft away up a hill by its headlights. Knocked on the door, nothing, ignored the beware of dog signs. Was looking into the window when I heard a grown... looked up into the face of 2 Rottweilers and a pitbull. Fanta can haul a** when he needs to.

Ignore posted signs on private property and then peer into windows?

What did you expect?

Even us city-folk with all our teeth and no religion will react the same way. Burglars around here will try like hell to see if someone's home(knocking/ringing door bell) before they break in. If someone answers, it's not hard to make something up(is that starion for sale?)...

Edited by JustPaus_88TSi

you may even get it for free like I did my Omni :)

Just tell them that you plan on bringing it back...

Also, may want to check the frame out. If its rotted...to some people that don't know mcuh about cars...thats a big deal and can scare them...therefore may make them realize/think its not worth anything.

THats if they decide to get rid of it...

Also, if they do, pick it apart...you'd be surprised what can happen...lol

GL

:gun:

Fanta the signs on the door are most definitely intimidating! It looks to be some kind of business maybe?? Since there is so much junk around but I've dealt with this kind of back woods folk before so we'll see how it goes. I was thinking I hope they knew the windshield was smashed and don't start to think I did it!

I won't throw any $$ offer their way until I am sure I can't just have it. I'll also be sure to push the issue that it's a shame to have it just sit there when I can and will fix it.

There is definitely some cancer on the rear quarters and I tried to get a look at the frame but I couldn't see much where it is sitting and the grass is kinda high under it. Just seeing that there was an exhaust on is slightly encouraging. I'll go over every inch of it and point out all the little (and Big) problems with it. I really want to see under the hood! Locked up motor and a questionable frame will set me a about $300 tops. Make an offer and walk away leaving my number. I bet they call back ... I hope.

It's all I have been thinking about since last night so I hope it works out.

Edit: The keys are in it ... :ph34r:

Edited by psu_Crash

Went by three times today and no one was there, so I left a note taped to the front door. I figure if they don't call me then they aren't interested in getting rid of it. I'll still swing by once in a while to see if i can catch someone though. Stubborn pays off

Edit: About the other junk there. I found out the people used to work with the carnival, so that explains some of the trailers.

Great now I have to bargain with some ex-carnies. lol

Edited by psu_Crash

Speaking from experiance,leaving a note usually works but seldom do they reply quickly and dont stalk them either,ive been down this road many,many times and it can be hard work,ive got them for free and ive paid thru the nose for them,also the sellers can be the easy happy to see it gone type or sentimental,the latter can be like a full contact sport to deal with,also when speaking to them try to use a strong Scottish accent,usually works for me. Edited by scottygibb

Scottish accent ..check

Don't stalk (too much) .. Check

Be on my game when I do talk to the owner ... Double check!

Bothers me a little that they are willing to let it rot. These car are VERY rare in my area. And did I mention it has a sunroof :)

I will be persistant but won't stalk. Even though I sat there for almost 3 hours today.

Scottish accent ..check

Don't stalk (too much) .. Check

Be on my game when I do talk to the owner ... Double check!

Bothers me a little that they are willing to let it rot. These car are VERY rare in my area. And did I mention it has a sunroof :)

I will be persistant but won't stalk. Even though I sat there for almost 3 hours today.

No good hanging around man,best waiting for a phone call and doing a drive-by now and then,as for people letting them rot its sad, i know of 2 here,one has 33,000 miles,louvers,mudflaps, the works ect here in Vegas that are getting beat to death by the sun and the owners just wont give them up and i am one persistant sq buyer, but these owners will not part with them,i wont stop dropping by from time to time and asking again thou,good luck man,it will be a yes or a no,happily its usually yes. :hmm3grin2orange: Edited by scottygibb

scotty is the man for sniffing out starions!

I just found one a few blocks away from my house, pretty rare in my area as well, i just left a note on the window and my phone number, car looks clean and looks like it is on the road. Hopefully the guy will give e a call and ill buy it or point him to sqc!