HKS exhaust? who has seen it? what does it look like?

basically, i am wondering what the HKS catback is. there are no pictures of it that i can find, and i want to know if it has resonators and mufflers, etc. is the muffler straight through style, or a big baffle type? anyone have pics of the exhaust assembled off the car, that would be great. any pics appreciated. and also, what does the tip look like?

thanks,

Graham

^ if this is not a Q/A forum, then what is it for?? statements?? a question is asked on nearly every forum topic bro. the exhaust is a performance mod, and i am requiring info on it, therefore i think it belongs in this category. your comment did not help, and i think you're wrong anyway.

if anyone that can actually help me, i would appreciate it. i want to buy this exhaust, but i need to know what i am getting

thanks,

Graham

^ if this is not a Q/A forum, then what is it for?? statements?? a question is asked on nearly every forum topic bro

Graham

That forum is supposed to be an archive of completed modifications, things that worked and thigns that did not work. We already have a question and answer board, and this is where you will find it...

basically, i am wondering what the HKS catback is. there are no pictures of it that i can find, and i want to know if it has resonators and mufflers, etc. is the muffler straight through style, or a big baffle type? anyone have pics of the exhaust assembled off the car, that would be great. any pics appreciated. and also, what does the tip look like?

thanks,

Graham

I have the HKS catback on my car. Here's a pic of the rear end with the HKS tip.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/Starquest%20saves/PIC_0281.jpg

And a video of what it sounds like W/ no cats. There's a few drive by shots at the end.

I run an HKS its good quality and I have gotten lots of compliments on the sound..

Whats best is when your just cruisin you don't have that fart can "BAHBAHBAH" drone that drives you batty...

to ucw458, that sounds REALLY quiet for no cats. maybe its just the video. to everyone else, thanks for the info, but is there only one muffler on this thing, or does it have a seperate resonator and muffler.

thanks,

Graham

to ucw458, that sounds REALLY quiet for no cats. maybe its just the video. to everyone else, thanks for the info, but is there only one muffler on this thing, or does it have a seperate resonator and muffler.

thanks,

Graham

That's the nice thing about the HKS exhaust. It has a performance sound but it's not obnoxiously loud. No it doesn't have a resonator. Just 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from turbo to muffler.

^ if this is not a Q/A forum, then what is it for?? statements?? a question is asked on nearly every forum topic bro. the exhaust is a performance mod, and i am requiring info on it, therefore i think it belongs in this category. your comment did not help, and i think you're wrong anyway.

if anyone that can actually help me, i would appreciate it. i want to buy this exhaust, but i need to know what i am getting

thanks,

Graham

dont shoot the messenger! :) it just makes it so you dont have to sort through pages of questions to get the info you need. also, look at how many more responses you got posting it in the correct section ;)

allen405 has the hks exhaust and it sounds just fine. he had a cracked exhaust manifold and i believe a leak at the exhaust housing/downpipe connection and the thing still sounded decent. if your looking for a moderate tone and a moderate upgrade this wouldnt be a bad choice. i think 101's would be a better value.

hmmm. sounds too quiet to be honest. is there any way to make these 2.6's loud while still sounding good??

thanks,

Graham

PLEASE TELL ME YOU DONT WANT A FART CAN THAT SOUNDS LIKE A HONDA LAWNMOWER ON STEROIDS !!!

From the details you provided, you will want to go with a full 3" exhasut, no cats w/ a good muffler (magnaflow, greddy, apexi - real stuff, not anything that says "magnaflow style", "greddy style" or "apexi style") you may pay for the name but the sound is un-comparable to cheap wanna-be/"style" mufflers.

• 1 month later...

thanks,

Graham

Hi,

I've had mine for at least 15 years, nice sound, has a fake cat. Minimal rust on, nice throaty sound when you get on it.

I had an HKS exhaust once when my car was more stock.

the one I had was not 2.5" though, more like 2 or 2.25". it did sound better

than stock but the performance gain was minimal.

to get a richer sound you need to redo the whole system and get rid of the first cat

completely. the most important part is a muffler with a straight-thru design

like an ultrafow, or some magnaflows and dynamaxs.

for the price of a new hks you can custom your own and it will perform/sound better

but yeah it takes some thought and not just an open wallet.

you'll have a complete system and not some half---------------- catback.

Edited by ad8tsi

Just wanna say, after this post, I found out that my car has the HKS exhaust, 2.25" at the tip. I always thought it was a stock exhaust, and thought to myself, this sounds nice for a stock exhaust. For an aftermarket it is really quiet. It does sound good but personally I think it needs to be louder. When you step on it, it roars, but the sound isnt as deep as id like it to be.

Keep in mind, turbos act as mufflers. Although I havent tried it yet, I bet if I pulled the muffler off my (HKS) exhaust it wouldnt be too loud. Have you ever heard a Dodge Neon SRT4s exhaust? Sounds pretty awesome IMO, and they run STOCK with 2 resonators and NO MUFFLER, out of a 2.4L turbo 4cyl.

It is also my understanding that turbo cars do not benefit from back-pressure. So a straight thru muffler/no muffler will be recommended for performance.