BOHO and a Magna

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not trying to rag on anyone, but why would you run EDIS with an MSII? it has an onboard ignition module and it's real easy to add another for the second coil control. You could still use the Ford coil pack, or really, any 4cyl wasted spark type.

Just wondering....

The EDIS module takes care of alot of the settings, like dwell and some other ignition settings. When you run a MSII in conjunction with a EDIS system its really really really simple.... well its supposed to be :(

I hooked up an EDIS with an MS1 on a 76 celica with some weirdo volvo motor. Started and ran on the first try.

Strange problem....Got the intake back on and sealed up...My idle is high as s***....like 2000....and cant get it down...I didn't make any changes to anything...I recalibrated TPS and don't know whats going on.

No matter the idle speed...I'm having a hard time keeping steady AFR's at idle bounces from mid 12's to high 13's...Its already dark so I'm not going to do any driving tonight...tommorow I plan on taking it out.

Did you see Matt's Reply? I never could post my msq but I'm pretty sure I had the same settings he posted that you need to change...if it did anything let me know man.

And bingo was his name-o. Switching the output to "Going High / Inverted" worked.

Car fired up and adjusting the bins in the table changed the timing. Wahoo!

Now the true test will be if i was able to get the coolant leaks to stop. 0 for 1 so far. ha

Strange problem....Got the intake back on and sealed up...My idle is high as s***....like 2000....and cant get it down...I didn't make any changes to anything...I recalibrated TPS and don't know whats going on.

No matter the idle speed...I'm having a hard time keeping steady AFR's at idle bounces from mid 12's to high 13's...Its already dark so I'm not going to do any driving tonight...tommorow I plan on taking it out.

braden, that should be a matter of getting the throttle plate closed up farther. unless your still sucking air somewhere. didnt leave a vac line off did you?

I don't know where the air is coming from....Looking like I'm taking the intake back off........

I'm still lost on this distributor...I can get it running...drive it around the block...come back...try to start the car again...no tach signal....The module is making good conneciton somewhere...I have to keep rebuilding the distributor everytime I want it to run...then it fires right up....for a while anyways...

I did a boost leak check....and for some reason the bottom side of the intake didn't seal. #1 and #2 runners have a lot of air coming from the head/intake match...Might have been my "gasket making" to block off the secondary air box port on the head. I think I've finally gotten the distributor solved once I get the intake off and back on We'll see where I'm at.

oh..lol...I went to drive it yesterday...around the block...and made it just up the street...to a parking lot before i broke down....I was under the hood of the car and this guy backed his truck up into my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smashed the headlight cover header panel and grill.......just farging fabulous....

Ok...Inake is sealed good and don't have any boost or coolant leaks on that side.....but...I still have white smoke out of the exhaust. I know the head gasket and block are fine...the car has not made it out of the driveway...I did have a coolant leak on the rear port on the magna....It was running into#3 and #4...Could my exhaust manifold still have some collant sitting in it? Should I take the turbo off and just have a look..I don't know what it is...scared to drive it before I figure it out. Any other ideas you can think of...Again..the car has done nothing but idle for the last 8 months...

I think "most" of my problems are in the tune now....Most of my problems now are my not properly modded magna....found some more boost leaks...I was driving today and "blew" one of my throttle body bolts out...lol....cause a little vac.leak....lol. also had a small leak on the back...where I blocked it off...didn't quite have a good weld....Apparently I should have tried tigging on somehting not a crucial the first time...Oh well...Hopefully it will only get better....Smoke is down a little bit...I'm hoping it will burn off. I'm still losing tach signal sometimes.....its kinda dangerous...I've rewired it twice...and I don't know what its doing...heating up? Everything is tight and soldered.

braden, have faith. i think i may have solved my problem tonite but im not sure yet as everytime i say that the damn thing runs for a minute then dies. anyways, i found a wire in my injector harness that for whatever reason was broken internally. you could do a continuity test on it from one end to the other and wiggle it certain ways and it would loose continuity. no explanation as the wire itself appears fine from the outside. i think this is what ive been chasing for a month or so and not sure how many of my other problems it was causing in the past. perhaps youve got something of the sort.

Glad you got if figured out grant....I went for a drive yesterday and it seems to run strong....Still chasing little problems but for the most part I still think most of it is tuning.

I've still got some white smoke....I pulled the turbo off just to have a look and see if I could see anything residual or any signs of coolant...Nothing...

I'm guessing i have a small leak on #3 #4 side....I did not try to "mod" the head/coolant port Just using a "factory" gasket and using extra extra rtv to try to get it to seal....This will be the 5th time if I take it off again....I don't know what else to do to get it to seal......

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I forgot to put the ring between the turbo and the manifold back in...So I have a pretty bad leak right now. Thanks to grant (pure_insanity) for resurfacing my magna I have no more leaks and my idle smoothed right out...AFR's are now steady and looks like I might be able to actually do something with it now..Boost leak check is good and it looks like I'm going out for some street tuning now.

• 2 weeks later...

It idles well and starts up everytime now. but...When i try to drive it breaks up all the time under load. I think its in the tune but I'm not sure.

can you verify your timing with a light?