Tranny swap

heefner

I'm in the process of mating an 86.5 - 93 Toyota Supra Non Turbo W58 5spd tranny in place of the stock tranny.  You can pick them up anywhere from $300-$500. Since these cars are non-turbo they trannys are subjected to less abuse. That coupled with the fact that everyone I've talked to says that the Toyota gearboxes are way over built and never in for service is why I chose to use it.

The over all measurements are very close to the quest. Bell housing ~14" wide , total length ~30", just eye-balling everything I think the shifter will fit in the stock hole with out  modifiying the tunnel or console.  Its a hydraulic clutch so that shold not be an issue either.  I don't have a price yet but I'm working on getting an adapter plate made to mate it to the G54B.  If anyone else is interested let me know as I'm sure the more plates I have made the cheaper it will be.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got in touch with a company in AU.  Aparently they make a bell housing for the W58 to our engine.   $375 AUD = $258 USD. not a bad price.  I need to find out some more details about what is included, how the starter will bolt up, release fork, clutch flywheel issues.  yadayadyad.  

Anyone else interested?? I may get a break on price/shipping if I get say 3 or 4 instead of 1.  :-/   Speak up!!

I haven't recieved any more info on the plate. I finally sucked it up and made a few  calls to Austrailia the other night (not cheap).  I did however, find an different company that makes a plate for the W58 that will alledgedly adapt an Aussi bell housing to our block.  The cost will be a little more but keep in mind this will be more of a "kit" ranthr than just a plate with holes.   I'm seriously considering doing one on my own before I get anyone else involved.  

I'm not 100% sure.  What I plan on getting is the following;  Aussi bell housing, plate that will adapt the bell housing to the W58 already installed, a slug that will allow the W58 input shaft to work with our flywheel and instructions.  They mentioned a clutch plate that would work but I may get my own made here from ACT.  They also mentioned a front yoke but I may go my own way with that also.  I'll have to call back to see what the availbilty is with the Aussi bell housing.

Manual trannies don't usually need a cooler.  I don't remeber seeing any lines comming off it.  I guess you could tap the case but I don't see any reason why you would need one.  

Charles the tranny is out of the 7MGE  but I don't know horse power and tq numbers.  The best place would be to look on a supra froum.  I'll see what I can come up with.

Manual trannies don't typically have oil coolers.  They don't generate all the waste heat that autos do and they also don't have oil pumps.  So to run a cooler you'd need an external pump as well, and the benefit is questionable to begin with.