Tranny swap

heefner

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know.  If the size is that much different I'm going to say no.  I unbolted the bell housing from the actuall Supra box put in the plate and then bolted a different mitsu bell housing to the box.  The cost of a 154 box is much greater.  At that point I would rather spend the money on some sort of race version whith dog ears so I would only need a clutch to start and stop.

Good to see it worked out Heefner.

Not all supra boxes use the same bellhousing bolt pattern.

W5x series are all the same.

R154 (7M turbo box) is bigger and different bolt arrgt.

V160/161 (2J turbo box) is different bolt arrgt again.

The pick of the boxes for ease of fitment IMHO would be a gen 2 W58 out of N/A JZA80 supras.

I can only do so much on street tires Shelby.  Beyond that I'm pissing money away as the tires spin up in a smokey rubbery burnout.  

I only made 2 runs in this weekend at the dragstrip before it started raining.  Not much I can do about that.  Short of taking it out to the track and side stepping the clutch it 6200 I don't see what more abuse I can throw at this thing.  I think it will hold up fine.  I didn't do the swap to see how long it took for me to break it, I did it to fix my tranny problem. I want to talk to the Tainters about clutch pressure plates.  I'm looking to use the Spec clutch because the ACT has a pretty stong pedal feel in the mitsu tranny and now the pedal is even stiffer.  I would like to get away from that.  Other wise its done, complete, fini'   mission complete!

I may go with that next year.  I'm also thinking of going with the sprung hub 6 puck or maybe even 4.  I want it to be as light as possible to help speed up the shifts.  I don't think I'll be using a short shifter (I can't see spending $300 for one) so I'll need what ever help I can get.

I noticed my pressure plate had 1 or 2 tiny stress cracks in it already.  It also had some high and low spots from slipping it to get off the line.  I don't have any chatter and it still seems to be holding so I'm hoping I can use this one till I have money in the budget for a new one.  

that 1.7  60 ' didn't sound like you were useing street tires  ;)

but i can see where the lower 1st gears  will cause  more  wheel spin then  befor  but  maybe a lighter  petal  off the line would  help,  what  ever  it takes  i  know you'l figure it out,,and no one is asking  you to   break any thing  ,  but thats  gona happen  if   traction  improves  

that 1.7 was after the rear gear swap and pre yota tranny running on bfg drag radials.  I'm certain the way I launch the new configuration will hold up I just need warmer track temps (ie warmer than 60 degres) and lots more practice.  You know how it goes Shelby.   I was once told by an old mechanic  "Going fast is like eating an elephant, you can do it, just not all at one time."  As frustrating as it is, I know it wont happen over night.

6 Speed:

"Length 26"

Width 15.25"

Height 14"

Engine block to shifter pivot point is about 30-32". This is the

best measurement I can give you on this one. Both of my spare

gearboxes don't have the shifter support installed."

"15.25" is at the widest point of the bellhousing. The case is only

8.5" wide.

Length is 25" to the crossmember centerline and 26" to the

companion flange.

The shifter pivot might be closer to 28"....''--J.Watson-ToyotaWorld.com

I saw a side by side picture between the 5 and 6 speeds..I'm tryin to find it..

• 2 weeks later...

Down here in Trinidad the RB20Det 5 fwd is a lot more abundant than the supra transmissions. I made an adapter plate for the RB to bolt to my 1G motor. Everything fit fine with no problems at all.

havn't finished with the car yet,

what do you guys think about the ratios on the RB20DET box and will it be good for the 4G63?

I know I hould have asked tis question before I did anything but I went thru too many mitsu boxes and wanted something that I know I'd get parts readilly.