Rotating the Throtle body to Face the front !

El_Rapido

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have a few pics of the original execution of this mod. i think the pic was dated 2000 so its several years old, not sure where i got them from or who did it. I will post it tonight.

Yes that is the same car which Starion_Nebula now owns :'( Anyway that was the temp. pipes before I ran mandrels.

As for the kit.. It's made of aluminum and you don't need anything for the cable. The kit is pretty straight foward.

And yes you would have to make your own IC piping.....It would be too hard to match because not everyone uses the same IC.

Let me know if you guys have any questions

John

JDMotorsports

maybe you could run a group purchase rate to help bring the cost down

150 bucks seems a little steep just to rotate the tbody

im using  an s shaped tube right now with dr side ic plumbing.

i was very interested in this thread, up until the price shock.

still debating MPI, whats your inexpensive solution to this?

nebula, I must be dumb since noone else has asked but, what is that piping coil between the turbo and valve head?

That is his oil feeder line, he has just added a few loops to cool the oil, pretty good idea actualy, I have actualy seen that on OEM cars for the power steering I think.

• 1 month later...
im not sure the coolant path through the intake but if you block the tb does the hot coolant just stagnate in the intake?  If so it might be worth it to block it off at the intake with a shim gasket, but from the looks of it, any lit bit would make the intake pipe worse with the bend.  What is the coating on that pipe?  it looks rubberized from the pics but the orange peel tells me its pcoat.  very cool idea though.  id like to see a few more quests with them to see how they respond.    

• 2 years later...
i was thinking about doing this mod myself recently and came on here to try to see if i could find pics of someone else that may have done it in the past. is this plate still being made and for sale? if so i think id be better off just buying one thats been tested already instead of wasting my time prototyping something and having to make adjustments on it myself

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Wow, somebody has been out riding around in the WAAYYYYY BACK machine.

There was a thread about "the best possible MPI" or something like that, that had a pic of a car with the TB rotated 180 degrees. But that thread has disappeared.

Edited by TopDawg_43

Nice...but I I would like to rotate it 90° only...not 180°.....facing the grill not fender...but that's a good idea though...

Sorry for bringing this tread back to like lol just wanted to know if someone has actually done it. And if they have pics...I would like to do it too..that's all lol

The manifold was made so that the throttle plate doesn't become a divertor that effects the 50/50 split of the air/fuel mix. You rotate the inlet to the front and that goes out the window. If you leave the throttle plate in place and only rotate the top then you have the injector aimed at the throttleplate in a way that the air/fuel isn't as evenly split. Its not a good idea but sure people have done it. I'd not do it, you have to pick from a bend or poor mixed air/fuel so the choice is easy.

If you flip the entire throttlebody and leave the primary in the same position then you'd never know it was reversed.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/BE1/IM002379.JPG

If you rotate everything to the front, you can see this causes issues unless you are always going to be at wide open throttle.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/BE1/IM002382.JPG

See how the opening in the plate on one side isn't the same as the other side? This is because when the upper portion of the throttlebody is attached it makes the air curve in and swirl to mix with the fuel. This all gets screwed up when you don't keep all throttlebody pieces orientated as there were originally.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/BE1/IM002390.JPG

This throttlebody has an enlarged throttle plate but that's all that was modified.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/BE1/IM002572.JPG

This throttlebody has a larger throttleplate AND you can see the lower portion was machined to remove that wall in the back. The upper portion shown was not modded to match with this. Notice another thing done is that the throttle shaft is ground down to be more narrow on either side of the throttle plate when its fully opened.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/IM008790.JPG