When did you discover the starquest?

TexasQuest

I barely remember anything from my childhood, but back in mid-'91 in Wichita Falls, TX my dad was looking to buy a truck. We went up the road to Alpha Dodge [might be Patterson Dodge/Chrysler now] and when we went inside the showroom, there was a two-tone RamCharger on one pedestal, and a blue Conquest [had to be a Fiji, all I remember is bright metallic blue] on the other. The image of that car [and the RamCharger, haha] stuck in my head, and I recalled seeing a couple in California around summer time in '95, and I got a closer look at them. At the time I just turned 8, but I thought those cars looked so cool and I told my dad I was going to get one someday. Imagine the look of surprise on his face when I stopped by his house after picking up my Starion.

These cars have been like an unobtainable super car to me, since I was an ankle-biter. Now that I know so much more about them, they're that much more incredible and sentimental to me.

Funny you say that. That's the exact city I first saw one. A Figi blue one that sat in an apartment parking lot near the airforce base Sheppard. This was mid 90s when I was in junior high. I rode my bike past that apartment complex everytime I went to go see what kind of used video games at this second hand sports store outside the main gate. Bad enough I had to move back there again during my last year and half of highschool at Burkburnett.

I ran across a fiji blue one (imagine that!) on cardomain when i was probably 12 and was hooked, i knew i saw my car. So i was always bugging my dad about them he had no clue what they were.

Fast foward a few years (i was 14 then) and i see a pristine red one for sale in a used car lot by the mall near me. I was very surprised to see it, the dealer wanted like 4995 i believe. Well i got my dad to go up there an take me for a ride in it, and as we were pulling out of the parking lot, his exact words were "woah, you do NOT need a car this fast!) He let me drive it around in a pretty big parking lot which i thought was awesome.

I looked around on the boards after that and looked at a few that were in the area but nothing ever worked out. I finally bought a fiji one from Taz that wound up being a parts car. Then i found a clean silver 87 that i drove just about every day for the rest of high school. And so now, 3 years and 12 other quests later, here i am B) Oh i also intended on keeping my cars all stock, but one thing leads to another haha.

I will say these cars have been an awesome experience from me. Id always loved cars since i was like 2 or 3, but never turned a wrench til i got my first one. Im far from an expert but ive learned so much from these things. Also, ive met some people that im sure will be lifelong friends through these which i think is very cool.

Was about 10 years ago now, my cousin had 2 of them, and not long after that, my parents bought one of them for a first car for me, that car is now my parts car, and the drivetrain is in one of the shells we found shortly after the purchase from my cousin.

I didn't even know about these cars until I had one, lol

Derek

Well back in my highschool days (around 14 years ago) I dated a chick that had a flatty quest. I honestly wasn't impressed. I had my big block Ford that would blow the doors off her quest. Years past and I had a K car with a 2.2 turbo. I had good luck with that one so 2 years ago I started looking for a turbo daytona. I wanted to build another 4cyl turbo car but didn't like the FWD. I figured I would get a daytona and convert it. By chance I saw a widebody quest for sale and remembered the gf that had one so I looked at it. I looked under the hood and thought, the engine is facing the wrong way, wait IT'S A REAR WHEEL DRIVE TURBO!!! GOTTA HAVE ONE.

About a year ago I finally had money in my pocket when I found one for sale.(always had money but couldn't find one, or found lots of them but was broke) I bought my first one and have been hooked ever since. within 5 months I had bought 4 of them. I even moved my big block car out of the garage and gave my first quest the garage space.( yes it's the same Ford from my high school days only now it has a bad motor.)

My story is very similar UCW.

The year was 2000, my senior year in high school. My first car was a 72 Monte Carlo with a built 350. I love that car but the car was almost 30years old and starting to need some love from me DDing it, also the fuel milage sucked. I started to search for a more practical DD and found an 86 daytona that had been sitting for a while, owner thought the clutch was bad. I got the car for $300-$400 and it turned out to be a bad half shaft, $60 later I was getting my first taste of turbo. But this also came with my first taste of tourque steer so it was bitter sweet.

Driving that around one night and raced a cavy z24, after we raced he mentioned he was going to look at a conquest. I was thinking of a concord and asked why? His response was RWD turbo!.. I went home fired up the PC to find out more and I fell in love. RWD FTW! Picked mine up in Louisville, KY that may.

At the naive age of 18 I thought that men only drove trucks, so that's what I drove until one day I was coming off duty at Marine Barracks Guam. I walked out the gate and saw this awesome looking little red sports car.

I thought to myself, if I ever own a car, it'll be one of those. Fast forward a year later and I was in stationed in California with a big 73 Chevy Stepside 4X4 that I had just bought used in Wa state and drove it down there. Well, there is too much highway in Cali for a big gas guzzling uncomfortable truck to drive so one day I passed a dealership and I saw a 88 red Starion. I bought it and loved it but sold it a few years later before I left for Russia and Brazil for 3 years. The year is now 1994. I always wanted another quest but just never persued it until 2007, when I bought another one, and another, and another, and another and another. Two were parts cars, 3 were runners, sold one runner and now I have two which neither one is running, one almost totally redone, paint, motor, tranny interrior, just not together. I'll have to wait until I

get back to the states to just put it together and have basically, a new quest.

I can't wait until it happens. As far as I'm concerned, they are the best looking "Common Man Affording" car ever built.

1989. A pearl one passed me and my dad going the other direction and I instantly wanted one. I coudn't take my eye off of it and like the driver was under my control he whiped it around in the middle of the road and came back past us. The onlyl markings on it were Turbo on the back and I want to say the back window as well. I told my dad that I wanted one and he just laughed and told me I would probly never own one. He knew they were rather rare and if you were paying 20K for a 4 cyl sports car in the 80's you were buying a Porsche. For the longest time I thought the car was called a "Turbo" hahahh I was young and dumb. Ive always had a soft spot for the pearl white to. To bad I have a red one :( but I love it unconditionaly non the less.

Let me see if I can give a relatively condensed version.....

In 1984, I saw Cannonball Run II, and really liked the car. So I kept my eye out for them, and where would it turn up next? Man, I just KNEW Inspector Gadget drove a Starion. It looked sooooo much like it.

Then, a few years later, my mom was looking at new cars, an '87 Tredia to be exact, and we were at the Mitsubishi dealership. They had a black one on the floor that was damn close to the car I started out with. Sitting in it, I determined that I must have one, and I will one day. Ma didn't think that it would be very practical for daily usage at that point, so she bought a very presentable Ford Taurus instead.

A few more years had gone by, and I had forgotten about the Starion, by and large. I had been building cars with V-8's, and gas had just shot up to 1.50 a gallon for the first time. I decided that the Crown Vic with the hot 5.0L HO and E303 cam had to go, and I went looking and found the black car. Bought it for 1100, with 87K on it, needing a head. After it blew up, I wound up with the red '86, the Palermo '88, and a full backyard of others. I think I still have 7 or 8 of them at the house in Texas.

My dad even got into the action, at first pissing and moaning about the loss of the Crown Vic, but then he noticed that everytime I popped the hood on the Starion, it got faster. He got hooked too, and bought a red '87 off KO.....

Tim

Edited by UlrichWolf

i was lookin for eclipses and stuff, found an ad for a 4g63 mighty max, a 1g eclipse engine i think, and it had like turbo upgrades, fuel, everything, and it had a starion fmic... so i looked up starion, because i had no idea what it was, and saw them. at that time, i instantly knew i had to have one... 4 months later i had sold my mint 2006 Suzuki RM250 ricky carmichael motox replica bike. got 3200 for the bike, borrowed some money from my dad, and i got my first one, 75k original 88 fiji tsi for 3600.....

i kinda miss the bike... that thing had about 50 hp to the rear wheel, and it weighed 210 pounds, so think about that. it was literally a scarily fast bike, it would hit 80-85 pinned..... but i would pass cars on the highway all the time :) and in the trails, cuz its a 2 stroke, it was so light and snappy, it felt like it pulled harder than my friends 450.... i love my quest more though, and ill never sell it

Graham

Freshman year of college I got involved with the campus auto club, and in the spring we host a Auto-x with the local scca chapter. That's when I saw Andy's green machine, and thought "that looks cool". A few years later my friends got involved with cars through DSM's and an SRT-4, and I had a craving for something of my own to wrench and boost. Last spring Andy rolls into the spring car show with a for-sale sign on the flatty. Having Auto-x'd once I was hooked and knew I had to find a car. I put 1 and 1 together. Spent the summer cleaning the car up and learning how to drive and wrench it. Now I cant wait for April 18th for my first run in the flatty. Hopefully I'll be seeing some more of that green machine this summer as well.

I was at an auto auction wanting to get anything i could make fast, I stumbled across the starion with my cousin. I said "hey check out this thing, pop the hood" cousin goes "what is this?" me "I think its a starion, it has an inline six....(opens hood)...HOLY CRAP ITS TURBOED, IM BUYING IT!" The announcer comes around to the starion and im the only one to place a bid :blink: I pay my fees and get the keys but the car wont start cause the battery is dead. I grab one of the workers and he helps jump the car. It starts turning over and sputters then nothing...just cranks. Im thinking holy crap now i gotta drop another $100 on a tow for a car the doesnt run, but luckily for my my cousin was snooping around in the hatch when he lifted the carpet up and notice some one unplugged the fuel pump :lol: I crank it again and it fired right up. On the way home i was boosting like crazy up a hill and when i looked down at the gauges i noticed the water temp gauge was pegged <_< yep the radiator was all clogged up......

you guys are gonna kill me....

But I discovered Starions through Justin AKA Fanta.

I thought he was black :confused0024:

OMG LOL I so remember answering the door and you being like "... man I thought you were black" :lol:

I'm genuinely surprised you went through with it. The first one you see up close and personal, and it doesn't even run.

For me, I was 17, a senior in high school, trying to restore a 1972 Dodge Charger, and was waiting in the buslanes after school for my mom to pick me up ( I was in robotics club so stayed after school ).

Saw a white 87 Conquest, BEAUTIFUL condition, with an 83 hood, drive by. A month later I had sold my Charger and was picking up my black Conquest.