Gullwing Door project pictures through out.

pagemo

The gullwings doors are much more unique. i love it.

Thanks

More pics tommorow :D both doors are on and working as of today. Its amazing how fast the other side is going now that all of the development is done.

So have you tried to weigh it? You can put a scale down weigh yourself, then weigh yourself while holding the weight of it. But it still doesn't have the weight it will in the end.

What's the plan on the window function? Will it still be able to go all the way down?

Again I think what you are doing is AWESOME!

-GCNTSi.

New picture...

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/DSCI0241.jpg

As far as the door weight, right now with all of the bracing but the bottom of the door is not finished they are about 75lbs. I would suspect they are getting close to the stock door weight. The majority of the stock weight is in the internal door brace that I removed.

The window will not be able to go all the way down but it should be close... after some modification of course :wink:

The majority of the stock weight is in the internal door brace that I removed.

I hope you didn't remove the two bars/rods, whatever they are called. I'm sure they saved me from serious injury, and allowed me to walk away from a bad wreck. I wouldn't feel safe driving on the roads without those in place. Or at least some kind of roll bar across the door area. Check the pics here:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewto...asc&start=0

But that damn sure looks sweet! What color are you planning on painting the car?

-GCNTSi.

I hope you didn't remove the two bars/rods, whatever they are called. I'm sure they saved me from serious injury, and allowed me to walk away from a bad wreck. I wouldn't feel safe driving on the roads without those in place. Or at least some kind of roll bar across the door area. Check the pics here:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewto...asc&start=0

But that damn sure looks sweet! What color are you planning on painting the car?

I did remove the door brace but I have permently welded in a new brace at the location of my new sill. I think there is pictures on the first post. it is a 2.5" square thick wall tube and should provide side impact protection. But I am planning on a cage with side posts as well.

As far as the color? I have filp floped several times but I am leaning towards a semi gloss Charcoal with black trim or possible two tone? I was going candy red but????I can't make up my mind, I have another month or so before paint so I will figure it out sooner or later :)

if you park next to some one will you have room to swing open the door

I will measure and give you an exact measurment but it needs very little clearance. I would say unless you are a very very skinny person I would be able to lift the door where on a regular door it would not open far enough for a person to squeez in. I am guessing about 12" Max which is close enough that you would be looking for the other driver just to kick the S$@! out of them anyway, that is to say if when the car is finished I would actually park this in a regular parking lot...Not likely :wink:

Not to be a buzzkill or anything but with parking lots today are you going to have the clearance to open the doors without damage to your or other vehicles?

I think what I would consider would be some sort of additional mod that not only kept the gullwing upswinging door but also added an extra hinge between the door and roof section to allow it to droop down a little for clearance reasons. Maybe a more straight up raise for the door instead of a swing out and up?

• Like 1

Not to be a buzzkill or anything but with parking lots today are you going to have the clearance to open the doors without damage to your or other vehicles?

I think what I would consider would be some sort of additional mod that not only kept the gullwing upswinging door but also added an extra hinge between the door and roof section to allow it to droop down a little for clearance reasons. Maybe a more straight up raise for the door instead of a swing out and up?

I am not sure why so many people think there would be a clearnece problem in parking lots? I measured this the other day I need about 10" of clearance to open the door... You would not be able to get out of a conventional door with 10" clearance even if you got the door open you would not be able to get out either way. Like I said in an earlier post IF i parked this in a parking lot and some one parked close enough that I would not be able to get in to my car without damage I would wait for them and then very politely ask them to move :wink:

But no really there is plenty of room I will post a picture to show it later today.

I don't see a clearance problem either.

The hinge is near the centerline of the car.

pagemo said it looks like about 10" of clearance would be needed.

I know I open my door more than 10" to get out.

It looks like less clearance is needed for gullwing doors vs standard opening ones.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

This is a great project.

guys, gullwing doors don't open out... they open up. if the hinges were on the edge where the headliner and door come together, then there would be clearance issues. the doors open up.

Thanks for all of the compliments guys, I hope it turns out like I think it will. It just seems like every time I make some progress I get busy and it stalls again.

Don't suppose there are any body/metal gurus out there(within a 100 miles or so) would like to come lend a hand a weekend or two? I have a few areas I just have not quite decided on the best way to proceed.I really want to get this back on the road this spring say by the end of march but its looking less and less likely on my own. :cry:

How high up are you going to cut the stock door?

I cut them already if you look in the pictrues you can tell they have been sliced but not rebuilt yet, I removed about 8" that will be come a permanent sill. I am still doing some metal work I will try to get some new pictures up as soon as I get a little more done.

finished yet...

just kidding

maybe.. lol

Uhhh..................

NO :lol:

• 1 month later...

New pictures of some of the drip rail and sills, all still just roughed in but coming along good!

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/DSCI0164.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/DSCI0168.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/pagemo/DSCI0157.jpg

I may actuall finish this before I die :hmm3grin2orange: