Thinking of going MPI. But...

I am getting myself a Magna throttle body soon sometime next week. Can anyone point me to the correct thread or url which teaches you where to cut and weld the magna intake as well as what and where to put the various fittings? What are the sizes? Besides modifying the intake, the rest of the stuff like a new fuel management system is rather expensive. Does going MPI save fuel? I'll need the following right?

FMS

injectors - what capacity?

Anything else? I'm still on a stock setup with 2.5" exhaust and a BPV back into the air can. What will be the cheapest way to go MPI? I looking at a daily driver setup and the thrills when I need it. Thank you for any help rendered.

Lester

the cheapest MPI would be to go get a caravan intake manifold and weld in four injector bungs in the four ports. Megasquirt will be the cheapest ECU. you won't really save fuel as much as you'll make your motor more efficient.

as far as what size injectors you should go, i would say anywhere from 550cc's to 750cc's depending on which direction you want to go with the project.

magna is a better route, but look at Artinist's setup, it's far from what i'd call a "hack job" and he's making in the 300's so i think that setup has been proven as well.

the cheapest MPI would be to go get a caravan intake manifold and weld in four injector bungs in the four ports. Megasquirt will be the cheapest ECU. you won't really save fuel as much as you'll make your motor more efficient.

as far as what size injectors you should go, i would say anywhere from 550cc's to 750cc's depending on which direction you want to go with the project.

Well for the part of getting gas milage, you can tune your car to get awesome gas milage by tuning the VE table to leaner condition and must stay outta the boost but you would have too much fun and rather not get better gas milage because there would be someone out there that wants to pay with ya and you try to boost and then goes boom. I'm shocked that my 4 75lbs didn't effect my gas milage. I guess I'll find out about my new setup later :shock:

Like I said go magna. Furthermore nobody has ever said the art's sep up is a hack job. Dont get it twisted son

Lionbull is your dad???

i guess he likes to think so.

"son?" :-k

Ill just say ... "$2000 MPI my A$$$" If you can do a complete MPI for less than $2000 please let me know how? and I mean a real tried and true way of doing it... something reliable.. Ive done my topend only on this MPI conversion and Im around $3K on this. On the mileage you can tune for mileage or for power.

Ill just say ... "$2000 MPI my A$$$" If you can do a complete MPI for less than $2000 please let me know how? and I mean a real tried and true way of doing it... something reliable.. Ive done my topend only on this MPI conversion and Im around $3K on this. On the mileage you can tune for mileage or for power.

Ya I agree Steven... closer to 3K.

I can break mine down, hell my ECU, fuel pump, wires and injectors are almost $1500.

An MPI will bring unforseen expenses. Expect it! :?

As far as MPG you can't have your cake and eat it too.

A car that makes 300HP still needs 300HP worth of fuel. That is going to cost you some gas cash.

Art's MPI conversion should be about a $1000.

Stock Mustang throttle body $20?

cinch bungs, hose, and fuel block $125?

injectors 75lb $200?

FIP fuel injection kit with stock distributor $600?

Misc clamps, bends, gaskets... $100

Summit adjustable regulator $60

This is how I am going to try it anyway!

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
ok just a question of curiosity here. i see you guys are throwing prices around for the MPI conversion here, and im seeing 3K. Now im not thinking of doing anything soon here, but some thoughts have crossed my mind. besides for the fact that its simpler to just do a MPI conversion, for 3Gs why not swap a 4G63?

ok just a question of curiosity here. i see you guys are throwing prices around for the MPI conversion here, and im seeing 3K. Now im not thinking of doing anything soon here, but some thoughts have crossed my mind. besides for the fact that its simpler to just do a MPI conversion, for 3Gs why not swap a 4G63?

This is what we used to think, but with a 500+hp dyno on a G54B why swap when we can acheive what we need with the same motor. If you already have the 4G63 setup then you can save a little. But it will be more fabrication, although its not to difficult it is time consuming.

Steven

I was gonna say, I think I have around $1500 into mine so far.

It isnt as clean as arts, but I personally dont consider it a hack job.

Walbro - $140

dsm 450's - free

dsm throttle body - free

all the "machine" work i did myself with pretty basic hand tools - free

water to air ic - $400

water to air water pump and resivoir - $150

Megasquirt v3/relay board/12' harness/all sensors/MSNS-e - $600

Misc plumbing fittings (including water-air lines) - $100

Silicone couplers - $35

Ignition module -$25

Value of the misc parts i've collected over the last couple years without knowing they would fall onto this project - around $100

When it starts the first time - pricele$$ (sorry, had too)

and it only took me 6 months.... only.. heh.. im kinda lazy when i have a daily driver that gets like 29mpg

for a engine swap it is a lot more costly. Probably twice as expensive once you get everything wired up. Not to mention twice the work.

if you do the swap yourself, you could easily keep it 3Gs or less....if you have all the right tools, and the abilty.

when i got the car, i was like oh this will get 4G63 swapped eventually, but the more i think about it, its prob ganna get MPI eventually

BS!!! My setup is very simular to Art's and I have around $3K into my conversion.

Intake (including injectors, modding IC, & IC piping)- $800

Fuel pump - $200

BOV - $300

EMS - $1200 (+ $200- 3-bar MAP sensor)

Ign. box - $300

And I'm sure I could find another $400~$500 in machineing that I had to have done.

i'm going to try to get out for under a grand. injectors (used), conquest intake manifold, megasquirt (used). ya know, just the necessitys. i'll probably end up getting a bigger intercooler and making my own hardpipes for it. home depot, here i come for some 2.5 inch conduit :D

BS!!! My setup is very simular to Art's and I have around $3K into my conversion.

Intake (including injectors' date=' modding IC, & IC piping)- $800

Fuel pump - $200

BOV - $300

EMS - $1200 (+ $200- 3-bar MAP sensor)

Ign. box - $300

And I'm sure I could find another $400~$500 in machineing that I had to have done.[/quote']

I really don't consider things like a $300 BOV and a $200 fuel pump parts for an MPI conversion. These are things most people add right away anyway. And modifying a stock intake and injectors should not cost $800. That is just my opinion. I have most of the parts to do the conversion and it is fairly cheap so far. It just takes some mechanical ability. I do everything myself and save a lot of money.

And I'm sure I could find another $400~$500 in machineing that I had to have done.

Doing alot of the work yourself will save you money. I did the port & polish and assembly of my head and still have over $300 in it,not including the actual head cost. I even got a steal on my EMS ($520 shipped). I still have a boost controller to buy along with some small odds and ends. Im sure ill be upwards of $3K on my conversion. My car was pretty much stock when I started so I have upgraded most of whats needed. Some people dont consider the hidden cost like, boost gauge/ AF gauge/ Wideband O2/ IC piping/ etc. etc.. There are things that you really need to get it tuned right.

Good luck, im not trying to discourage you in any way. Just dont want you to jump in without knowing.

Steven

I really don't consider things like a $300 BOV and a $200 fuel pump parts for an MPI conversion. These are things most people add right away anyway. And modifying a stock intake and injectors should not cost $800. That is just my opinion. I have most of the parts to do the conversion and it is fairly cheap so far. It just takes some mechanical ability. I do everything myself and save a lot of money.

And I'm sure I could find another $400~$500 in machining that I had to have done.

I bought my intake ready built. And it was well worth the $800. That included a ready to go intake (including injectors, TB, fuel rail, and fuel pressure regulator), IC, and IC piping. If you could have built the same setup and put up the same number as the last owner/builder, I would have gladly paid you the $800.

You can take off the BOV if you don't feel it is necessary, but with a 20G-06h, the fuel pump had to be bought.

Also, if you could have done the machining as clean as I had it done, I would have gladly paid you that $400~$500 also!

For you viewing pleasure, here are a couple pics of my car, when it was put together :oops: .

http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1039/1790846/3448393/42337874.jpg

http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1039/1790846/3448393/42337747.jpg