best for money?

What do you guys think about using sds with chads intake manifold?  This seems pretty cheap compared to the rest.  eip is like a sack of cash ;D

Later,Jon

sounds like a great idea, but i'm kind of biased.  chad runs SDS as well just so you know.

Im a little confused here ??? what is an MPI and what makes are there?

Ie tell me everything you know about MPI...

Coz im from the UK and dont understand :P ;D

Ok  8)

Let me sure you are up to speed first.  A stock intake on a StarQuest is TBI (throttle body injection).  In this setup there are only two injectors.  On the 87 and back, I believe both injectors fire at the time (not sure on that, never delt with 87's and back).  On the 88-89 models the injectors are staged, where only one is fireing at low rpm's.  Then the second injector (which is bigger) starts fireing at 3000rpm.  So above 3000rpms both injector are fireing.  This design has proven to be very insufficent with a turbo.  There's not enough fuel, and limits the amount of HP you'll ever have out of the engine.  So the engine would therefore need to be converted to MPI (Multi-port Injection).  In this setup, there is at least one injector for each cylinder.  This way you'll have enough fuel to push your turbo to the max, hince forth more power.  But to do this convertion, you won't be able to use the stock ECU, so you'd therefore have to get either a Engine Mangement system (which is one of the best improvements that you can do to any car) or a Fuel Mangement system (MegaSquirt).  With a EMS you have full control over you whole engine and many other aux. functions.  With a FMS you can only control your fuel.

Items needed -Manifold (includeing injectors, sensor, IC piping, etc.........)

ECU- (EMS or FMS)

Hi-po fuel pump

and ome other misc. stuff that depends on your custom setup.

Total cost will between $1200 to $3000 and beyond.

Let me know if this doesn't clear things up for you.

EIP's intake maybe notbe the best for the money, but I'm pretty sure you can get one reasonalbly quickly...as in there is currently one in the display case at the shop.

If EIP's intake had a t-stat, I would have gotten it.

Ok  8)

Let me sure you are up to speed first.  A stock intake on a StarQuest is TBI (throttle body injection).  In this setup there are only two injectors.  On the 87 and back, I believe both injectors fire at the time (not sure on that, never delt with 87's and back).  On the 88-89 models the injectors are staged, where only one is fireing at low rpm's.  Then the second injector (which is bigger) starts fireing at 3000rpm.  So above 3000rpms both injector are fireing.  This design has proven to be very insufficent with a turbo.  There's not enough fuel, and limits the amount of HP you'll ever have out of the engine.  So the engine would therefore need to be converted to MPI (Multi-port Injection).  In this setup, there is at least one injector for each cylinder.  This way you'll have enough fuel to push your turbo to the max, hince forth more power.  But to do this convertion, you won't be able to use the stock ECU, so you'd therefore have to get either a Engine Mangement system (which is one of the best improvements that you can do to any car) or a Fuel Mangement system (MegaSquirt).  With a EMS you have full control over you whole engine and many other aux. functions.  With a FMS you can only control your fuel.

Items needed -Manifold (includeing injectors, sensor, IC piping, etc.........)

ECU- (EMS or FMS)

Hi-po fuel pump

and ome other misc. stuff that depends on your custom setup.

Total cost will between $1200 to $3000 and beyond.

Let me know if this doesn't clear things up for you.

Ahh, so it so do with changing from 2 injectors to 4 for more power (obviously :-[ )

So I presume there are 2 ways of doing it....

1) add another 2 injectors to the original format? - Will this work?

2) replace the 2 injectors with a 4 point injector system - I presume this is the most expensive way to go but better in the long run..

But thats for that info... much apprecitated :)

Ahh, so it so do with changing from 2 injectors to 4 for more power (obviously :-[ )

So I presume there are 2 ways of doing it....

1) add another 2 injectors to the original format? - Will this work?

2) replace the 2 injectors with a 4 point injector system - I presume this is the most expensive way to go but better in the long run..

But thats for that info... much apprecitated :)

Now you have went into something completely different.  I'm not sure what that is called, but it can be done.  And number two is not possible.

Try these links, you can see what the different MPI's look like.

Intake Options: In alphabetical order:

Chad's  --- http://www.geocities.com/my86tsi/intakeprojects.html

EIP --- http://www.eiptuning.com/mitsubishistarion...onconquest.html

Magna --- http://www.4gmitsubishi.com/

Stock  convert --- http://www.starquestclub.com/index.pl?boar...393690;start=10

If EIP's intake had a t-stat, I would have gotten it.

I'm not positive, but I think the new version does have a housing.  The pic on thier page is not the most current page.

To Tim_Simpson: Just to let you know, this MPI will only fit the 2.6L engine and not the 2.0L you are running, but you have even better choices as the 4G64 engine is the easiest one to get aftermarked parts for. You could for example just use the MPI out of an mitsubishi eclipse and just use its ECU and you would be ready to go ;)

David Schouenborg (Denmark)

To Tim_Simpson: Just to let you know, this MPI will only fit the 2.6L engine and not the 2.0L you are running, but you have even better choices as the 4G64 engine is the easiest one to get aftermarked parts for. You could for example just use the MPI out of an mitsubishi eclipse and just use its ECU and you would be ready to go ;)

Really.. How would i go about doing that? I am interested in doing this because when I am finished I want to be running my starion around 300bhp at the wheels :D ;)

and with only 2 injectors.. I cant see that happening frankly :(

Also how much would I be looking to spend If I was to do that? also remembering I live in the UK :)

Cheers,

Tim

Well you will be running with 4 injectors, but you can get the intake and ECU out of an eclipse turbo (do you know this car?) It should be a lot cheaper and while you are at it take that 16valve head as well ;D I come from Denmark so I know what its like to get all the rare parts! Anyways to keep it simple: The mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0L turbo is running the same engine as your european style starion thats with the 2.0L 4G64 engine, but the eclipse already has 4 injectors and 16valves so you can just take the engine of a transhed eclipse and put in your own car....should be a lot cheaper than going MPI for the 2.6L.....hope that helps a bit ;)

WTFF(what the flying F***) EIP $1300!, for an inhearantly BAD design?

EDIT: Just looked around EIP's site some more, WTFF are they thinking? I doubt they ever sell anything for those prices!

WTFF(what the flying F***) EIP $1300!, for an inhearantly BAD design?

EDIT: Just looked around EIP's site some more, WTFF are they thinking? I doubt they ever sell anything for those prices!

I understand that the design is better, but $1300 is still way to much!!  I didn't pay that much for my setup, minus the Haltech.

I understand that the design is better, but $1300 is still way to much!!  I didn't pay that much for my setup, minus the Haltech.

By "bad design" I mean the velocity is not smooth in the intake. There is too much "dead" space. meaning alot of room for air to swirl, and not find its way to the cylinder.

All large tube type manifolds do this, it makes it worse when the end of the intake does not end in series with the last runner. That just creates a large "dead zone" for swirling air.

Now, granted anything is better then the stock TBI set up, but you also gave to look at what your getting, and there your getter ripped HARD. I hope at least they send ya some lube!

By what I have learned in flow rate, and velocity rates, I have seen that designs that have flatter spreads, and are tapered to the last runner will hold both shear velocity and smooth flow alot better then the more round shaped designs.

The design I am designing now is a smooth multi-angular tat is unrestricted to the first 2 runner and is angled tp keep the velocity to the last 2 runners.

Tim Simpson,

you have a few options for going MPI (4 injector) on 2.0L SOHC 4g63;

1.  L300 van

2.  Sonata 2.4 (needs throttle body end swap & welded, exactly as magna mods for 2.6). aussie guys have been doing conversions.

3.  The 90 mitsu truck 2.4L intake bolts straight on, rwd. Grab the entire loom /ecu if u can. I can show you very inexpensive excellent piggyback for full control of your fuel & timing.

You can get 300hp from the 2.0L sohc mpfi

DOHC conversion is more involved, but some done already. Retain the mpi mitsu electronics, as its an excellent mgmt with an enthusiast base second to none. Over 400Whp, proven. The performance will blow your mind