Greetings from the North Charlotte area!

Like a few members here, I'm new to the Starion/Conquest, but not new to cars (former DSM'er, 1st and 2nd gen, and a Suby).  I always had an eye on the Conquest Tsi and after 10+ years of being out of the car scene, I have finally made my way back in.  

I picked up a white 1988 Conquest Tsi from a former Starquest Club member in TN - blasted 80's music all the way back home.  It's in decent shape considering that it has been sitting for quite awhile.  Stock engine/turbo, but has some bolt-on's like an aftermarket air intake, IC piping, exhaust, and larger FMIC).  The former owner also informed me of some "rare" items on the car including an '83 hood, as well as others that are still in the truckload of parts I got from him too.

Cranks and runs enough to put it on the trailer and back off again, but will need some work to get it on the street (oil seeping aft of the motor, power steering badly whining and choppy, clutch pedal is almost wanting to stick to the floor, and there is what appears to be a sticking brake as it won't roll freely in neutral).  My plan is to get it mechanically sound/tight and revamp the interior, then off to the body shop for some patching and paint.

Looking forward to this project, and also being a part of this community!  If anyone is in the Charlotte area, then come on by!

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome.  I am also a DSMer, still have my 2G GSX in storage.  There's a lot of similarity between the cars, esp 1G's, but there are also a lot of differences with the G54.  For instance the injection and TB setup.  But, I think you got a good plan.  Get a good mechanical base, and the make it pretty.  👍

EDIT - Oh, and yes, that 83 hood can be worth 500 - 1000 dollars depending on condition.  I'd love to find one myself someday.

Welcome and Congrats!! 

I went and looked at that car 2 weekends ago. Too much rust for me to deal with it when I've spent the last few years cutting rust out of another one. It did seem to run well though! Had a little smoke on decel was the only thing I noticed. FYI I'm pretty sure those hood struts are installed upside down. May be the cause of the difficult to open hood. I about died when he just man handled it open as it's right against the cowel! Not sure what to think of the clutch. I noticed that too. Maybe bleeding it out and just working it a little. Did you notice the whining sound from the trans area that disappears when you push the clutch? Something in there isn't right. Shifter fulcrum bushing is also gone. Hence the slop in the shifter. 

All in all it is definitely fixable with time, cash and love. We will be here to answer questions along the way. If you haven't seen them yet, the service manuals are available at StarQuestGarage.com.

I end up in the Charlotte area for work a couple times a year. Next time I'll try to remember and reach out. 

Thanks everyone, and I appreciate the warm welcome!

psu_Crash - I was hoping I'd find someone here who went and looked at the car as well!  There is for sure going to be some time and money going into this one.  I have been finding more and more items that need addressing (stuck right rear brake, a passenger-side rust hole on the frame (picture below), and I also figured the hood struts were the culprit with the binding.  Oh yes, and the car is currently infested with ants).   On the brightside, the pop-up lights actuate...so there's that!

I'll take some time to inventory the spare parts, then start sourcing what I may need online (eBay and StarQuestParts seem to be well stocked).  I may need to stem the rust issue before doing much else, so priority is to get it streetable, then get it over to a body shop.  

It certainly looks like a car that has passed through many inexperienced hands, shortcutting where possible, and disregarding the long-term consequences.  Reminds me of me 20 years ago.  For some reason I'm drawn to this car in particular, and intend to approach this restomod effort hopefully from a much more mature and patient standpoint.  

For sure hit me up, time permitting, the next time you're in Charlotte!  And thanks again for sharing your observations on the details of the car from your visit.

IMG_2958.jpg

• Like 1

I'm just uphill from you in the Hickory-Morganton area. My sister-in-law lives in Mooresville.

Welcome to the StarQuest community.

There are a number of businesses providing parts for these cars, though some things are really a challenge to find.

I've got a project 1989 Fiji Blue Conquest that may be in slightly better condition than yours but we're going through the same process--get it running mechanically, work on the interior, and address some bodywork damage and paint.

Seeing other people start essentially the same project as me helps me stay motivated to finish mine, so keep us updated on your progress!

• Like 1

nc_beagle - That's awesome, and you're definitely close!  I wish you luck on your Conquest's revival as well and welcome meeting up sometime. 

Yours is certainly better shape judging from the pics I saw in one of your previous posts from January.  Love that Fiji Blue color!

Hey there and welcome! I think all-in-all you paid a fair price for what you received, as it also has some under-hood goodies it appears from when I saw the listing. Yes, the rust was a concern but fixable if you have the appetite for it! Glad to hear you plan on getting it back to its glory days.

I run the Starquestparts.net website, so feel free to give me a shout if you need any goodies…I’m just above you in Virginia. 

-Steve 

• Like 1