Starting from stock, rank desirable engine mods/upgrades.

I'm starting a restoration of a 1989 Fiji blue Conquest. I've been on this forum enough to be aware of what people have done to their cars but I haven't been able to wrap my head around a "ranking" of upgrades. Bigger turbo, wiseco pistons, etc... I know some mods are for durability and some are for performance and that's fine. I've got a blank slate as the engine blew a head gasket (prior to my taking ownership--I was aware) so we'll be doing a lot of work. I already have a new head and valves (the +1.0mm ones) from Dad's.

If at all possible, it would be great if you could include ballpark costs on each mod/upgrade. Just the powertrain stuff for now.

Instead of us wasting time listing every possible mod with cost, how about you put forth some effort and list us a goal and budget. Other then a blown head gasket what’s the health of the motor? 

There is a LOT of information here on builds. Just search around. 

My $0.02 MPI, standalone and a tune. Huge improvements in drivability no matter what other upgrades

Parts cost and availability have been changing so rapidly over the past few years, I'm not sure I could provide any reasonable estimates anymore.   

I will say that the most beneficial modification that I have experienced in over 30 years of driving these cars is an MPI conversion.  It is, by far, the most noticeable performance improvement, enhanced tuneability, and increased the reliability of the car.  Although it is the most expensive modification I've performed and does require a bit of fabrication, even after you source a manifold.    

Goals: (I realize I am writing these as if the car has none of them in stock form.) These are pretty much in order of importance.

• Durability, to the extent that a 35 year old car can be.
  • Performance (sporty/spirited--not sure I can put an HP number on it--250-300?)
  • A nice looking engine bay (may sound lame but some guys on here have turned theirs into a work of art.)
  • Handling improvements if there are any to be had. (I think it has new rear struts but may need to look into the front)
    • I actually have a modified silver Conquest that has really good handling. Both have the SHP. The silver one is lowered on coilovers, but I'm not sure if it's had anything else done beyond the new tires I put on it.

Budget:

Currently around $9-10,000 but it does need some minor bodywork and a paint job. It's a bit of a passion project so to an extent, I'll be ok with having more in the car than it's worth--as long as I get some years of enjoyable driving out of it. I'll add that if I spent that much and then decided I like it, but now I wish it also had "XYZ," I'd certainly consider a budget amendment.

This is the car--just posted it in another thread. StarQuest Parts - 1989 Conquest TSi - Fiji Blue Project - Conquest & Starion parts for sale

I realize that, just like with building a house, doing one thing may necessitate doing another, that's kind of why I was hoping for a ranking. 

We can leave the cost part out as I can research that myself, but it would be helpful if you provide sources for some of the parts. I'm familiar with Dad's, MKS, and StarquestParts already, as well as larger companies like Summit Racing, but I'm sure there are providers I am unaware of.

Thanks,
Mark

10k for paint, body work and a 2jz ant going to happen. 

Beagle are you able to do the work yourself or are you farming everything out. I ask because when I was shopping for paint I was at 3k for just material and I have all the guns and consumables. Same with engine work could you wire and tune a stand alone. Can you mig, tig, fabricate, do you have a space to work on the car? We need to know a hell of a lot more about you. 

12 hours ago, BKB94 said:

10k for paint, body work and a 2jz ant going to happen. 

Beagle are you able to do the work yourself or are you farming everything out. I ask because when I was shopping for paint I was at 3k for just material and I have all the guns and consumables. Same with engine work could you wire and tune a stand alone. Can you mig, tig, fabricate, do you have a space to work on the car? We need to know a hell of a lot more about you. 

it could

What coil overs are on the silver car? Since going with D2s on my car I say there really is no other option. 

MPI on a stock engine with exhaust manifold and turbo upgrade can make 250-300. 

Edited by psu_Crash