New radiator doesn't match

survyor22

I just ordered a brand new radiator form Advanced Auto. I received a Carquest radiator that was close to matching but its missing the upper fan support bracket and the 2 lower temperature/fan switch bungs. I looked on Ebay and all of the images on Ebay match the one I received. What am I doing wrong here? Why are all these radiators been made incorrectly? I can't be the only person that has run into this. I'm afraid to order anything but a racing radiator thinking that I may get the incorrect one again.

Take a look:

http://www.ebay.com/...adiator&_sop=16

Thanks,

Dennis

Edited by survyor22

You have 2 reasonable options at this point.

1. Take the new one and your old one to a radiator shop so that they can swap the fan mounts and bungs....or

2. Return the new radiator for a refund, and order the aluminum OEM replacement from CXRacing on eBay.

I suggest option 2, as I and many other members here have been very happy with the CXR aluminum unit. Here's a picture or 2 of mine.

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/fiji/904.jpg

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt93/BC_99/Carbon%20Fiber%20Air%20Diversion%20Panels/bW1jMS9EQ0lNL0NBTUVSQS9TU1BYMDA0Mi5qcGc.jpg

BC_99

These parts stores have been selling these radiators like this for years, you would think after all the returns they had gotten that they would catch on that these radiators are not for the quests with electric fans.

If i had the time I would order an aluminum radiator but because the SMG pump went out on my other car, I need the conquest back run asap. Its at the radiator shop right now getting the brackets and fan switches transferred over. I noticed the new radiator is 2 row and the old one was 3 rows. I hope that won't lead to an cooling issues.

The radiator that you got is from the early model cars that had clutch fans.

you can remove the fan supports from your old radiator and solder them onto the new radiator with a blow torch and have a radiator shop install new sensor bungs on it.

Jerry L.

I had the same issue when I decided to replace the radiator on my 87 Conquest. Bought one of these cheapies from "the bay"- though it's available pretty much anywhere. I was astounded at what appeared to be very poor quality control! Electric fans barely mounted up, and the water outlet was 'clocked' improperly at the bottom, interfering with one fan.

Turns out: This radiator is for the non-intercooled cars with an engine-driven fan. The mounts on this radiator are for the shroud specific to this car, not mounts for the electric fans. I only discovered this recently when I pulled the radiator/shroud and fan out of a non-intercooled '86 in the junk yard to convert mine over. Got rid of the electrics and the subsequent drain on the electrical.