Recommend a Work Vehicle

Malykaii

So my mom has a pastry delivery route and her e250 blew a tranny. That thing was overkill for for the gig and I don't think it's worth fixing.

Any suggestions for a sub $2,000 vehicle that's cheap to maintain? (my girlfriend suggests a camry wagon?)

I'd suggest a late model Jeep Cherokee (99-01) if you can find one that doesn't have a billion miles on it for the price you want. S10 Blazer would also work.

Alternately, an Accord wagon/ Camry Wagon would work, although they'd be less capable in snow. If her loads are small enough, you could go with a civic hatch probably.

Rebuild the auto trans. They are easier than you think. If you can build an engine you can build an auto trans. Parts for the rebuild can be less than $500 if it's mostly clutches and seals.

If you really want something else, Toyota makes good vehicles.

ucw, your absolutely right. I'm a pro mechanic and my dad had a brief stint as one too. No reason we couldn't handle the job, if it was my mom's personal car.

Being a work rig, every day it sits I have to run her route with my montero, so no time. Alternatively, if she rents a vehicle for just a week, the cost offsets it beyond measure.

I'd love to dig into an automatic someday, but not under such pressure and circumstances. Thanks for the encouragment!

Viper... I actually used a jeep Comanche years back when I had a route. The 4.0 was awsome, but a lot of the little things gave me issues.

How is the s10? I know the 4.3 is awsome, the rest of the truck keep up?

If she made the e250 work well for her since 2003 (and even a geo metro handles better in a blizzard) I think any fwd will suffice.

jeep cherokee (XJ) hands down, I bought my 99 for $1,200 and short of fluid changes all I've had to change out in the last 100k miles is an alternator, a rad/water pump and a battery.

Find an old postal truck. You could put shelves inside it and buy one for cheap. Jeeps pretty much do run forever

Edited by Turbo Cary

Viper... I actually used a jeep Comanche years back when I had a route. The 4.0 was awsome, but a lot of the little things gave me issues.

How is the s10? I know the 4.3 is awsome, the rest of the truck keep up?

If she made the e250 work well for her since 2003 (and even a geo metro handles better in a blizzard) I think any fwd will suffice.

S10 Blazers are very much like XJ Cherokees. The main difference is that while on the Cherokee, your rear main will always leak, on the S10, Your ball joints will go out on a regular basis. With Moog BJ's and regular greasings, you should be able to get 4-5 years out of a set. Other than that though, no major issues, just stay on top of maintenance. My experience is that the pretty much the same with both trucks. I would personally sooner buy the XJ, but I think the S10 Blazer might be a better choice for your mom.

^That 2 piece rear main is b.s. I had to drop the trans on my Comanche as the rear soaked my fresh clutch in oil. Anyways...

There seams to be some sort of imaginary tax on the xj with asking prices twice as high compared to the Chevy.

Plus the ford e series eats balljoints just as fast, so no worries.

late model Grand Caravan 3.8 with rear seats removed , two side doors offer easy acess

Your caravan has come up in conversation before sir. I swear your the only person who has ever been happy with one. The body is a great design, but it's just unreliable as f.

Legacy with a 2.2. Great reliable AWD car. If a 2.5 make sure head gaskets been done!

Subaru are kewl. However, they are pricey. If this was my mom's personal car, I'd make it top choice. For a work car, between head gaskets, awful bearing changes, melted cv axles, and so on, sadley thanks. Too bad though

Postal rig would be awsome, but it would need comercial plates, a deal breaker. I'm surprised more people don't use them.

I'll ask my mom what she'll want. Either a car (elantra/accord/camry wagon) or lifted car (CRV/Rav4) or Suv (XJ/s10) or small pickup with cap (?)

Thanks for ideas... A few I wouldn't have though of. Any more?

I just had a thought! Some of the old Datsun wagons can be had for the price you're looking for. They'll be ugly and rusty, but hard to beat for ease of maintenance. Also, cool factor. Really just a side option though, but I thought I would throw it out there.

Find an old postal truck. You could put shelves inside it and buy one for cheap. Jeeps pretty much do run forever

Yeah, this. It will make her business stand out.

I have a friend who found an old Helms Bakery delivery truck and restored it for his wifes bakery business. Man it definately unique to see this thing on the road, painted a purplish pink.

Wow, viper... Funny guy. I can already see a 60 year old woman delighted go to work in a rusty datsun, lolz. If it was for me, absolutely. Hence why I used a rusty Comanche when I had a route.

Louswheel... Please tell me you have pics of this thing. Sounds awsome.

For her, it's not her business so standing out isn't needed. Plus in NYC you want to blend in to avoid traffic cops. (you drive a unique car and they memorize it and your stops/times then they wait for you to write a ticket)

So had a nice chat. Mom said no suv, most certainly no s10. She wants a 4cyl wagon or cuv.

I've been on Craig's list for 10 hours at this point. NOTHING. Its all cars from auctions people are trying to flip. Do people not sell cars anymore?

Edited by Malykaii