Radiator/fan options

vbrad511

Took my long-dormant beast for it's first ride of 2015 a while ago. Felt really good to drive it again, but I know I need to do something with the radiator. I've been planning for a while to install an Ebay sr20 aluminum unit, but I've been going back and forth on fan options. I've got a set of sensor bungs I can have welded in, but then there are mounting issues to overcome too. I do see the radiator/fan combo's too, but how are those fans for longevity and cooling? Would I be able to wire them into the stock wiring?

I'm looking for options. What have you guys (and gals) done, and how has it worked for you?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cxracing actually makes an aluminum replacement for our radiators. Don't be alarmed if you see them list for a crazy price like 1k + dollars. Thats just what they do when they are out of stock so that nobody buys one lol.

Had no problem dropping in my CX SR20 rad. All I had to do was bend the lower perch a little bit, and made a couple little tabs for the top. I used two 10" or 12" fans (can't remember) with no shroud and it stays cool with one fan on. I don't run the thermosensors, I just don't trust them anymore so I have fan switches that turn off with ignition. I just jumpered a switch into the relay signal wires for the fans to ground the relays through the switches. When the switch is off, the thermos would work normally if I still ran them.

006227dc354311e3b39722000aeb4586_7.jpg

My SR 13 - SR 20 3 Row radiator was welded up to bolt right in.

Including sensor bungs.

Also the fan shroud bolted in and I didn't have to mod anything at all To get the shroud to fit. Well besides the shroud mounting holes. They needed to be enlarged. That's it.

Also as far as stock primary fan replacement.

I have a FAQ on using the Subaru radiator fan bolts right in to the stock conquest fan shroud mount.

Check FAQ.

If replacement radiator you want.

Go cxracing stock replacement for a stock swap.

IW, did you use your stock fans? How did you mount them? I'm somewhere between them (for reliability) and the aftermarkets they offer. Just don't want to put some chinese junk on that's not going to last.

If you deleted the egr stuff people have used the thermovalve bung on the intake for the thermosensor to make fans work and cut on and off like stock.

I pined this in the eBay section.

http://www.starquest...howtopic=144960

It is a stock aluminum replacement for our cars.

It is designed to bolt on our stock fans and bungs at the bottom.

It is 2 Row I believe.

Direct bolt in for our cars.

Mine is a 3 Row modified by BC_99 to be a bolt in.

I got it for $146 free shipping.

I got a shroud with slim fans for $78.00. Free shipping.

only had to enlarge the bolt holes for the shroud to line up with radiator mounting holes. That's it fans clear with room to spare.

So far it works great. Thanks BC for your amazing skills and Thank you Skullzaflair for installing it.

That's nice, but I can't throw $300 at a radiator, THEN have to think about fans. I love my Quest, but it's a part time car and it needs many other things, so I need to be a little more creative with the funding. Now if my lotto numbers would hit tonight....

If you are on clutch fan, that radiator is like putting the sr20 radiator in, no ports for sensors

Correct.. No ports again lol

thermovalve port on the intake for your sensor. Or weld some ports in.

Just another cheap option with no ports for sensors to be clear.

The one I linked in my last post is a stock replacement radiator.

The stock fans from the stock roriginal adiator bolt on to the CXRacing radiator

In my last post that I linked. It also has bungs so you can put the fan sensors in.

Correct.. No ports again lol

thermovalve port on the intake for your sensor. Or weld some ports in.

Just another cheap option with no ports for sensors to be clear.

i wouldnt put it in the intake, thats pre thermostat, radiator could be cold, and having the fans kick on. you want the fans to want to cool the coolant in the radiator not the intake. theres also the chance of it not letting the fans turn off, from heatsoak