Opinions on the nylon line with Oil Pressure gauge?

Anyone running the nylon line that is supplied with most mechanical oil pressure gauges?

Ive heard stories of them breaking due to heat, etc and spilling oil in engine bay, or worse car interior...

Any one using one with success? Or go braided for $60ish? or copper tubing for $15ish?

I dont know and was going to use the nylon and route it wherever the best way away from all heat sources..

Edited by Preludedude

I'm guessing most everyone is going to say avoid the nylon line for exactly what you just described. If it breaks you are going to have a problem on your hands and that line isn't difficult to break or melt.

Anyone running the nylon line that is supplied with most mechanical oil pressure gauges?

Ive heard stories of them breaking due to heat, etc and spilling oil in engine bay, or worse car interior...

Any one using one with success? Or go braided for $60ish? or copper tubing for $15ish?

I dont know and was going to use the nylon and route it wherever the best way away from all heat sources..

Copper stuff worked good on mine.

I've been running them for years best advice I can give you if you plane on running one is keep the line away from any heat and keep them straight and use nylon retainers to hold them in place iv never had one fail on me and have used them for about 30 years just takes good planning even copper can fail if installed wrong .

I ran the nylon for years with no issues at all, regularly saw 100+ psi on cold morning starts.

I ran it inside a length of vacuum hose for most of the run inside the engine bay, to keep it from rubbing on something and failing.

I have nylon ones installed in both my Eclipse and my truck and never had a problem. Probably had it on there close to 12 years. If you run it smart (like mentioned above) you won't have issues.

I ran the nylon for years with no issues at all, regularly saw 100+ psi on cold morning starts.

I ran it inside a length of vacuum hose for most of the run inside the engine bay, to keep it from rubbing on something and failing.

Holy crap. Good idea!!!

• 4 weeks later...
I've never had a problem with nylon lines, but have copper for my outside cowl-mounted oil press. gauge due to heat at source near oil filter housing/turbo. If copper line, be sure to add a few loops at mount to allow for vibration flex else any sharp angles will be taking on all vibrations at a single spot which "could" lead to softening or a break. Overbending when installing or working with can of course mess that up. I'm considering a braided line or elec. gauge for this reason and already switched to elec. fuel press. gauge. If nylon was't safe when done right, they'd not be on the market. Edited by mstieg

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll252/Project88Starion/Parts%20for%20Sale/P1040961_zpsugzqmern.jpg

Copper line with heat shrink around abrasion areas worked well for the last seven years. I avoided using the nylon lines for fear of a cat-asstrophy in the engine bay.

• 1 month later...