Who here has driven / lived with fender exit exhaust setups?

speedyquest

I'm really close to saying screw it and buying the materials (which wouldn't be much) and making one just to test it.

Isn't the idea just so enticing though?

Dude unbolt your exhaust from your downpipe and drive it around, if you can tolerate it then go for it. I never thought something could be too loud, until I had to drive my car with just a crappy *DM downpipe that didn't fit to the muffler shop to have the system re-welded. Almost ashamed to say, It was too damn loud. Attracting every damn cop. Your girl will never ride in it unless she's pretty hardcore lol.

Bullet mufflers and resonators are the same thing. Both modify sound a but really wont quiet the exhaust that much. I have a 16" bullet and an 18" straight through muffler and it's still too loud. Neighbors several houses down can hear me start my car from inside the house. I'm gonna put a chambered muffler on my car to quiet it down.

HKS catback is a chambered muffler. The people at HKS seem to know what they are doing. All their systems are dyno tested. The HKS catback flows better than stock and is quieter. So the right chambered muffler on a 3" system shouldn't be much of a restriction.

HKS catback is a chambered muffler. The people at HKS seem to know what they are doing. All their systems are dyno tested. The HKS catback flows better than stock and is quieter. So the right chambered muffler on a 3" system shouldn't be much of a restriction.

i was running a powerjoke muffler, had a nice deep rumble, and flowed really good!

on another note, never put the side exit on driver side lol

my turbo miata i had the 3" dump in front of back tire, 2 steep and any boost or pop hurt your ear lol

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I had that HKS system and it's not even a 2.5 inch pipe, the muffler is not chambered it's actually a straight through canister muffler although it's quiet. Sure HKS is a good company but that system is only a slight upgrade from stock. Any exhaust is only as big as the smallest point or the most restrictive point right? That's why we do mandrel bends.

So to get back to you guys about the open down pipe... wow is that loud with a 3inch exhaust. I couldn't handle driving the car like that. Even with the full exhaust on without a muffler or resonator on it was horrible in my opinion. I ended up buying a dynomax ultra flo 3" race muffler for the car. I'll be installing it tonight so we will see how that goes.

speaking of mufflers, the Hooker Aero Chamber is a great muffler on these terdZ. however, dood straight pipe roxx if you can hang with the tractor sound. and it's proven, a 3" will make more power than a 2.5" on any 54b. hks or not.

hks this hks that... blah blah blah, just get a 3" system and make more power yO

boho's flame throwing from the fender system is sick

So to get back to you guys about the open down pipe... wow is that loud with a 3inch exhaust. I couldn't handle driving the car like that.

That was also my experience. Might be cool for a while, or on a toy or a full race car but living with it on the street can get old, and I like loud. It's the difference between loud and holy F*@K.

mine is straight 3" all the way out, no muffler. It does have some of a tractor sound to it but on the boost its sounds like a beast. Not to bad on the highway at 80 either.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/ZPI28/My%20Cars/88%20TSI%20RIO/CAM02337_zpskzyvzyqa.jpg

Edited by ZPI28