Need assistance dealing with rental company claiming damage

questsale

I need some assistance dealing with damage to a rented vehicle.

It was a brand new 1500 Dodge RAM rented for a week.

Alamo is claiming $950 in damage for a dent on the roof. At some point people got up, and stood on the roof, this caused the damage.

The rentee did not buy vehicle insurance. Alamo wants to bill us $900+

$660 for repair, $100 for fees, and $160 for "loss of use"

Its a simple dent that can be fixed with PDR, yet they are charging us the cost of a new roof.

Labor breakdown is listing everything from new dome light, rear brake light, and list the damage as "rollover"

What can be done to fight this?

can I ask them to provide visual proof of damage?

can I ask them to have another shop do an estimate that's not in their network?

Any advise is welcomed.

http://i.imgur.com/Z6SdTAW.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/c23XglO.jpg

Usualy your regular car insurance takes care of anything that happend in any rented vehicle you drive look into your insurance policy and call your agent. I had this happen in Florida on vacation I pissed someone off and while I was eating at wendys they kicked a large dent in the drivers door I just laughed and went on about my business but I Also always OPT for the 10$ insurance on the rented car but I do know your regular everyday insurance covers it most of the time.

Well if you look at the notes R&I is remove and install and they are just documenting labor. Why didn't you just pop the dent out before you returned it?

Did you go over the truck when you returned it? Sign off on the damage ECT? Go up there and see the damage in person and just pop it back out from the inside if not creased and tell them what dent.

Did they use a major credit card for the rental? Some cards offer rental car protection as a part of the incentives to have that card. Have them check it out.

By the way ..... What is wrong with people?!? Why get on the roof of a rental truck?

Yolo?

Maybe an expensive lesson is in order.

I was not there when it was rented, or returned. I used it for transport to an event, I am somewhat responsible for the damage. I have no control over why it wasnt inspected prior, or anything else.

I just need advice on how to best lower the bill.

Credit card does not cover truck rental. only passenger car.

Edited by questsale

I would say that a dodge 1500 IS a passenger car. If rented by whoever for transportation and not specifically "moving" .

I think clarification of the situation might help us help you. So you did not rent this vehicle nor did you use your credit card to pay for it right? You weren't there when someone got on the car or anything right? Who did get the vehicle? Why would you even be involved in this?

it was as truck, people had to get on the roof to unstrap s*** from the bed.

the rest is irrelevant, I'm asking for assistance in what I can do to lower their price.

Like they are charging us $160 for loss of use.

Can I request them show me logs of the truck being in constant use? or will they just tell me to bugger off

can I ask them to take it to a shop that does PDR for an estimate? or will they just tell me to bugger off and send collections after us?

When the heck would anyone ever had to get onto the roof of a truck to unstrap stuff? If that is the case they did it completely wrong.

About lessening the cost I guess it never hurts to try what you just said but it sounds like unless you have something to cover yourself or whoever is included in "us" then legally you or whoever your representing is responsible.

Edited by speedyquest

What Dad said. Since you said you were partly responsible for the damage a call to your insurance company might lessen the impact.

A lesson to all... Pay the 10 bucks insurance...

Get a hold of a body shop, get the estimate or estimates and pay for repair period, tell them that you will get it fixed. perhaps the loss of use can be negotiated, or pdr can do it so fast you can get it back to them quickly.

No coverage means you have to pay, period

Most insurance doesn't cover rental cars unless the car was loaned to you while your car was being fixed after a crash.

When you rent a car and decline the insurance you have to sign a statement saying you agree to pay for any damages. That agreement is legally binding. They don't have to lower your bill one cent because that agreement was signed. You are stuck paying the whole bill.

I have to notify my insurance co if I'm using a rental and my car needs to be parked, but I;m covered, of course my deductibles also come into play. just an FYI

Most insurance doesn't cover rental cars unless the car was loaned to you while your car was being fixed after a crash.

When you rent a car and decline the insurance you have to sign a statement saying you agree to pay for any damages. That agreement is legally binding. They don't have to lower your bill one cent because that agreement was signed. You are stuck paying the whole bill.

their bill is ridiculous, its a dent on the roof, and they are charging paint work, and replacing the rear brake light.

all i wanna do is get them to provide a different estimate. like a pdr one.

How many times have I heard this kind of story, "declined insurance" on a rental. Usually ends up like this.

The rental company wants to make money renting their cars. When damage occurs, they lose income. So repair time = loss of income for them.

I bet they know a good PDR, but the ball is in their court and they gonna do what is convenient for them. In other words, don't hold your breathe they will want to comply with requests to do other wise.

You don't really have much choice. When the truck was rented you (or whoever rented it) signed a legally binding contract saying you understood the repercussions of returning the truck damaged, and declined insurance. Every day they are repairing the truck and not having it available for rent means lost income. I think the time for trying pdr would have been before you took the truck back.

their bill is ridiculous, its a dent on the roof, and they are charging paint work, and replacing the rear brake light.

all i wanna do is get them to provide a different estimate. like a pdr one.

They are not charging you for the light, they are charging you to remove and reinstall the light. You need to learn to read like you should have read the contract you signed.

In all likely hood PDR is going to be at BEST 400 450 so really not that far off. If it were me I would be requiring an edge to edge repaint, so more then likely your going to have to live with the respray. + not sure if that is a crease or not but if creased PDR will not work. The loss of use your lucky it's that low, they could charge you full kilt on loos of use while the truck sits each day waiting for this to get sorted out. I mean really man up and take some responsibility here why would you ever secure stuff where you have to climb on the truck roof? At worst just stand in the door jam.