Radiator Questions

Nightcall

I recently ran my Starion with my dad. It was a nice relief to see the little progress NGK plugs and wires could do along with Duralast cap and rotor + ignition coil...Anyway I don't know why, but I remember having to remove the radiator hose. I didn't put it back on correctly before we ran it. As we parked it after the 3 minute drive around the block, I noticed a boiling sound under the hood. Suddenly, there was a bursting noise and next thing I see is brown water shooting out from under the hood LOL. Good thing no one got hurt...Ok thats one way to get rid of all that rust in the radiator! Now the pavement is brown and copper color. Holy s***...is my radiator salvageable? Or is it done? I just have water in it for now...That isn't any good. I want to do a radiator flush. There was never any indication of leaks while the car sat, but I know the rust has been in there a very long time... Do I do a standard flush? What product do you suggest? Are our stock radiators aluminum? If so it sounds like a flush with acidic ingredients are not the answer. Thanks guys. Edited by Nightcall

It is not aluminum. It weighs 30lb and its an old fashioned copper/brass style radiator. They, unlike aluminum/plastic ones, rarely crack... So it should still be serviceable. Take it to a radiator shop to be disassembled and roded out. Those flush things barely do anything in my experience.

It is not aluminum. It weighs 30lb and its an old fashioned copper/brass style radiator. They, unlike aluminum/plastic ones, rarely crack... So it should still be serviceable. Take it to a radiator shop to be disassembled and roded out. Those flush things barely do anything in my experience.

Thanks dude

ok. and how about this...you guys think this is a good method....

I really don't wanna take it to a radiator shop right now...especially if my radiator ain't that bad lol

edit: at the end of the vid it says every 150,000 miles. I'm at 129k LOL. I must be fine rite?

Edited by Nightcall

I don't know dude... But brown water sounds pretty bad. Plus doesn't one of those prestones cost almost $20 anyway and you'd need two to even pretend you did something while a radiator rod cleaning would be like $70?

I agree... Just back flush the thing (if you want to save cash) Don't waste your money on that flush stuff. Used it for numerous customers at the shop and its the same as flushing with water.

when I tried the local rad shops they said they don't do that stuff anymore, they would just replace or do the prestone flush like I did in the end anyway. They make one you leave in the car for a day or two, again.. don't leave plain water in and let the temp drop below freezing!!

Keep the opinions and experiences coming guys i appreciate it. Im probably going to bring it to a radiator place if the flush doesnt help...so far though im not overheating abd surprisingly the hoses that never been changed arent bad. But yeah thanks im just learning all this as i go. Edited by Nightcall

There's different flush stuff you can buy. The prestone didn't do much for me but I got a big bottle of some other stuff (sorry I can't remember the name lol) and that stuff ate the rust right out of my rad! I made the mistake of spilling a little and it made around my radiator cap look like gold it was so shiny.. Just ate the paint right off. I'll try to figure out what I used and let you know. My car hasn't gotten over half on the gauge ever since (about 1.5 years now). Good luck with whatever you do!

Drake

I would recommend you never put straight water in your radiator. Distilled water is real cheap and has none of the minerals that make your radiator puke brown if a hose breaks.

Jimmy

This

Tap water has minerals that clog radiator tubes.

I just soak mine overnight with 5% viniger, then flush with clean water until everything runs clear and follow that up with a little baking soda solution to neutralize. Calcium and magnesium are your enemies, tap water is generally full of them.

Apple cider vinegar works wonders on water heaters in your home, should do good in the radiator I would think? and start changing hoses, the softer ones take precedence.. They will give out when you really don't want them to. and it'll be a small one under the turbo or intake so then you have to wait till the car cools down to work on it and make you late..

and in the words of Christopher Lloyd:

Doc: I foresee two possibilities. One, losing what was destined to be the love of your life and you'd simply be miserable or possibly commit suicide... Or two, the rupture of said hose could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

Marty McFly: Well, that's a relief.