drilling concrete

ucw458

Drilling concrete without a proper hammer drill SUCKS.

All I have is a cordless hammer drill with lipo batteries that don't last long. To top it off this concrete has been here since the early 70s and it's SUPER hard. The demo guys that replaced my front walkway spent 3 hours trying to remove a 6'x3' section. I need to drill x4 1/2" holes for inserts so I can bolt my hydrolic press down. I killed 3 batteries and haven't finished 1 hole. This is gonna take forever.

/end rant

Go to Home Depot and rent a proper rotary hammer drill.

If it's not an SDS+ chuck, you are just making a lot of noise.

I have a Bosch bulldog that I used to drill a 1" hole in my garage floor. Took about 45 seconds.

Funds are a little tight right now. Saving all I can to finish the SQ and hopefully get to texas. Can't afford to rent or buy right now. But every time I've drilled into concrete I've told myself you HAVE to buy a better hammerdrill. And each time I end up struggling with my cordless one. I wish I had one of those $400 hilti units I've used at work in the past. They drill big holes so quickly. But I just don't drill into concrete enough to justify the cost. Most of the stuff I do involves drilling stucco anchors. A cordless hammerdrill is all you need for that.

Honestly, you might be able to rent an SDS+ for $15 or less for half a day. Sorry your struggling ( with the drill and financially) dude

Proper bit helps light years. I don't know what they are metal looks all funky and you can see where they were machined but the guy next door gave me 2 bits and they chew threw hardened steal, stone, master locks really anything in seconds with huge chunks flying off. I almost Ced myself when he told me one bit was $30 though. Having someone able to trickle water or oil in helps also.

You have to have a nabor or friend that can lend you a drill no?

Proper bit helps light years. I don't know what they are metal looks all funky and you can see where they were machined but the guy next door gave me 2 bits and they chew threw hardened steal, stone, master locks really anything in seconds with huge chunks flying off. I almost Ced myself when he told me one bit was $30 though. Having someone able to trickle water or oil in helps also.

You have to have a nabor or friend that can lend you a drill no?

The quality of the bit certainly helps. Cheap bit sets are junk.

Funny thing is, since I moved to this neighborhood I think I may be the guy with the most tools. None of the neighbors I've talked to have anywhere near the amount of tools I do. Most have just a few in their junk drawer.

You can do a 4 hour rental from Home depot or if you get the tool after 6 pm its still a 4 hour rental charge till 9 a.m the next day , drilling concrete at night might piss the naybs off though, they have the right bits to for the job , rent the tool and break the concrete and not your head . Edited by SOTTY

When dealing with an inferior hammer drill or hardened steel I find drilling a smaller pilot hole then stepping up to the larger bit works well. It's slow but faster than trying to bore the large hole with the inferior tool in one shot. I tried that last nite but I didn't step down to a small enough bit. Gonna try again today.

I got 3 of the 4 done. That should hold it for now. Can't finish the 4th because my long 1/2" bit broke. That hole is right next to the door sill and only a long bit will reach it. I may just drill a 3/8" hole and JB weld a stud into the hole.

get one of those lead inserts that expand. I've got 2 holding my 80 gal compressor in and it hasnt moved in 4 yrs.