Project "Because Racecar"

speedyquest

Yea your definitely right Ronnie. What I'd love to do is move the inlets of the intercooler so they point towards the motor. It would shorten my pipes up a ton. Are you suggesting that you could weld up my pipes for me? hrm...

Maybe sell that intercooler and buy one with the configuration you are looking for! I don't know how much truth there is to it, but in my opinion, a sharp 90 degree bend right off the turbo isn't as bad as right near the throttle body. Or my personal favorite idea: an air-to-water intercooler right on top of the valve cover, under a cowl hood. The intercooler pipes would be an inch long.

A small update: I got the car running great with only 8psi so its time to up the boost. I think I'll jump up to 15psi and see how that goes, then its up to 18psi. I'll stop there though until I get another boost gauge as mine tops out at 20. I spent a few minutes tonight re gapping my plugs down to .35 so thats all good. Next is to install the walbro 255 I've had kicking around for over a year along with replacing the in tank filter. After I get that done I just need to reinstall my Greddy boost controller's solenoid and bobs your uncle.

I cannot wait to see what this car does in the higher levels of boost.

Edited by speedyquest

Well I had something interesting happen last night after I finished installing my Walbro 255 pump in anticipation to upping my boost. I got the car running, rolled it out of the garage and immediately found a gas leak. I thought, well ok I didn't tighten something well enough, but nope. The new pump overcame a weak point in the hard line for the fuel and created a small hole as best as I can guess. I'll be fixing it tonight hopefully.

I had similar issues when tightening the fuel damper and crush washers on mine. It turned out that it wasn't the hard line leaking but the connection to the pump. Hope that's the case for you. Replacing/repairing hard lines can be a pita.

It's definitely the hard-line. I was just out working on it and I came up with a good way to fix it... But you know what they say, when it rains it pours because while removing a bracket to start work on the fuel line I found a weak point in the same spot on the brake line coming to the split for the two rear calipers. That started leaking now too. I'm going to have to look over this whole system before I'm happy with it...

I'm glad you liked it man, thank you I appreciate hearing it. Yea get out there and work on your car! As far as the intercooler goes I definitely will be doing something with that eventually. I think before I do that though I'll wait until I've settled on a specific turbo though. Right now I'm kind of toying with the idea of swapping over to either a TD06 20g or a HX35 with a bullseye housing. So we will see.

I think my next turbo will be a GTX3071

or possibly a GTX2867. The 60-1 I have

pulls like a reight train. Maybe it is the tune

But building boost seems to take a long

Time with the turbonetics turbo I have.

The 18G TD06 was insane miss it terribly.

I think my next turbo will be a GTX3071

or possibly a GTX2867. The 60-1 I have

pulls like a reight train. Maybe it is the tune

But building boost seems to take a long

Time with the turbonetics turbo I have.

The 18G TD06 was insane miss it terribly.

I think the GTX3071 will be ideal. The 28 wheel is a bit to small for the 2.6. Love it on 1.8-2.0

I will definitely need to pick your brains about what to choose turbo wise when the time comes. That is an entirely new subject for me (non-mitsu turbos) and I definitely don't want to spend money on the wrong type of turbo for my setup.

Interesting little update for you guys. This last weekend I noticed that my overflow tank was filling up as the weekend continued. I didn't think much of it (wrongly) and did my normal thing. Well driving home Sunday I'm on the interstate and suddenly the car starts to act up so I start checking my gauges but don't notice anything. As I'm just about to get on an offramp to get off the interstate my temp starts raising, OH GREAT! After pulling into a gas station I let the car sit for about 45 minutes so it can cool down and depressurize.

At this point can you guess what was the culprit? If you guessed low fluid you win, ding ding ding!

I filled the car up with distilled water and drove home conservatively with no issues. I let the car sit monday because I just didn't have time to work on it, but last night I looked the car over and I can only deduce that two things worked together to cause this issue so let me know if this makes sense to you as well.

Issue #1: My lower radiator hose is not in the stock configuration, but I am using the original to make a bit more than a 90 degree bend. This is causing it to fold a bit. Couple that with it being an old hose, my guess is that its warming up and possibly collapsing.

Issue #2: I have a sneaking suspicion that my upper radiator cap was either not sealing fully or had a weak spring.

I believe those two things together likely caused what happened along with me not doing my due dilligence and refilling the coolant because clearly the car was not sucking it back up from the overflow. So what I will be doing to fix this is buying a brand new Stant 13lb radiator cap for the upper fill point along with replacing the lower radiator hose section with a correctly formed hose.

I also did a compression test on the car and the numbers were within 2 psi of eachother and on the higher end of spec (140psi) and with no coolant in my oil I'm pretty darn sure I didn't cause any issue to the motor. Let this be a lesson to all you guys, watch your coolant LOL.