To go 2jz or stay with the boat anchor and go mpi?

Ironside

Need opinions on each side of the fence.

Either I spend 2500 for mpi or over twice that (with more power) for 2jz.

Decisions decisions.

• Like 1

Need opinions on each side of the fence.

Either I spend 2500 for mpi or over twice that (with more RELIABLE power) for 2jz.

Decisions decisions.

Fixed it for you and I vote 2J as I am on the hunt for a 1J/R154 ATM. :)

BC_99

It wouldn't cost 5k. Especially if you go 1jz....

What are your goals? If you want to stay around 400-450 and have a 5 speed...1jz is almost impossible to beat price wise.

• Like 1

Motor swap. You'll be happy you did. Newer technology on newer motors is your friend when it comes to ease of tuning. ALso finding parts will probably be a little easier. Plus 2jz has plenty of potential once you get it in and running good. Just my .02 cents

I haven't seen a r154 trans for 300 bucks.

Are you talking about another tranny?

Braden your right, after seeing what you and Mike went through.

I was advised in my search to avoid the vvti engines as they tend to be more difficult when you want to upgrade things. I'm looking at spending between $2500 and $3000 for a complete swap setup. Then it's just exhaust, wiring, plumbing, and a driveshaft. Btw I just purchased a set of 1jz/2jz engine mounts that I plan to test fit, and then make fixtures to duplicate them, but make them much nicer. I hope they fit ok, if not they will just be expensive paper weights. Lol

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

Mpi 26s done right are a BLAST to drive and i love em but yes swaps are the way to go for turd survival , the W58 trans is sturdy enough and underated , if your only looking for daily driving duty with occasional boost blasts its up to the task, the 1jz is a terrific power plant and can rev , cheap and readily available as is the Toyota 1uz fe v8 , another excellent readily available swap candidate for the SQ. Edited by SOTTY

I agree Britt. I also read to go with the gte engines.

Sounds like I could go 2jz for a grand more then buying mpi.

Kinda sucks though my motor only has about 7k on it.

So far this is a one sided conversation. Where are all the swap haters?

the only swap hater can be found on Starquest i-x talking to himself

i stand firm in my belief that the g54 is no boat anchor.

i agree man , the ol G54b ain't as bad as folk make it out to be but with so many more modern alternatives available swaps are getting to be more popular

Go mpi with your stock motor and make 400hp. Make sure it is mechanically healthy first. If not they are cheap to

rebuild. Make sure to do your home work on crankcase ventilation and head porting. Get a competent tuner. Use e85 if it is available in your area.

Yes the gte is what you want, the others are just naturally aspirated.

Fwiw, Sotty's 1uz car is freaking unbelievable to go for a ride in. V-8 torque and still very mild and drivable in traffic, but when he lets her rip.....oh the sexy sounds that erupt from that otherwise mild mannered beast. The g54 is fine if you want to build one for just putting around, but if you want real power and tons of aftermarket support, swap it. You can spend equal money from start to finish on either but between the g54 and any jz platform, you will have better results and likely be happier with a jz. The problem you have is that you've already spent some pretty good coin on the g54 in there now.

BC_99

If you are shooting for around 350-450whp on pump gas, a g54b done right will do. Forged pistons will be extra insurance.

2jz/1jz are strong but costs more to do a swap and maintainance/upgrade parts arn't cheap. Also, a fully dressed 2jz/1jz with all fluids in the engine will add about 150+ pounds to the front end of your car.