Dyno Tuning + Numbers

Well im uploading the video to youtube now. Sorry for the quality but if yoy pause it at the correct time you can read the numbers. As for the graph photo bucket doesn't let my upload anything for some reason

Prolly Dynocom. They read high. Your torque was low because the turbo spooled insanely slow. That coupled with how short the pull was tells me there was no load from the dyno. Prolly explains the fuel phenomena.

When do you hit max boost on the street in 3rd or 4th (whichever gear he did the pull in.)?

Im betting it hits much sooner than what you saw on the dyno.

Sorry man, Dyno days are never very reliable.

Edited by Funky Phil

The low tourqe was perhaps a symptom of poor boost control. Peak boost being reached late in the rpm range?

Blue Cook did 350hp with just 1850 cc. That car was about 13-13.5 afr at peak power. A magic cam was used as well.

Also Dynocom

Full boost was achieved fairly low. And held 11.5 once it was fully spooled at 25. We did end up turning the boost down to compensate for the higher load on the street so it had room to creep.

The moment he said "I would have more load on the street", Id have popped those ratchets and left. Tuning with low load is like tuning driving on downhill roads.

All that matters is that you enjoy it. Nice car man.

Durben, I wanna drop this in before I forget.

Hypers cant seem to handle much abuse. Even less abuse than what I have seen stock pistons take.

So to piggy back on where scott was leaning. Before you spend much money, Consider dumping the 6AL2 in favor of either the Programmable 6AL2 (full timing control) or make the step to MS. And then address injectors.

Ignition control will keep your pistons alive. Stock ignition curve gets a little gnarly over 6000rpm for the boost your running.

This is a pull I made on a Mustang Dyno years back. Take note of how long the pull lasted. We only went to 6000rpm.

peace

Edited by Funky Phil

Well they are great numbers, if the dyno is a bit over/under calibrated (on the happy side) it doesn't diminish your achievement. I would be wary of high boost without some way to control ignition however, factory distributor is running 43 degrees centrifugal advance at full chat and only has 7 degrees boost retard. If someone came to me and said they wanted to run 25 psi I'd be dialing in at least 20 degrees of boost retard to start tuning. You start conservative and up it, like you start fuel tables rich and lean them out.

There's a thread in the virtual mechanic right now of someone running 20 psi for 5K miles or so that just broke something major, I believe they were running stock boost retard. People complain these motors are fragile, I suspect its just the opposite, these buggers are so stout they don't explode the first time the owner abuses them, or the second, or the third, but the damage is additive and eventually it pops. And when it does the owner hasn't been doing anything different "just then" than he's been doing for awhile he blames the motor, motor design. Japanese engineers, etc... when its actually the owner being fragile between the ears.

• Like 1

Nice numbers man, and car. My tbi car did 261 whp and 353 tq with a used TDO6 17c off a Typhoon. Edited by RJ

Aside from the pat on the head being given, he's baffled at the graph. Those dyno numbers didn't come with sher dumb luck. The cam is to be credited. Its no magical cam, just custom grind, not the shelf 274 mech. The exhaust duration and lifts are different... This dude has no clue on the specs of that cam other than being told its a 274.

I took my time explaining how to set up the cam amongst other things to get his car running at its peak; this was based on the way in which the cam was installed in my engine. He didn't know anything about cam degreeing so I gave him insight on where it should aligned to run safely...and the importance of cam break-in additive and assembly lube. Didn't want this one to get chewed up like the scrap metal 292 he traded me.

Now the hissing sound coming out of his motor at every 180 degrees when turned by hand wasn't the headgasket leaking all over...as he thought.

Just want to add.

I really appreciate all the feedback good and bad. I'm happy how the car turned out and I have a few things to work out yet. But the car is running great and it's nice to be able to just drive nice without running fat or lean in spots. I can't wait to get it retuned with bigger injectors.

Looking into it I think I'm going with racetronix 1225cc secondary injector and either a 650cc or 750cc primary. So I dont have to max out my injectors and tune it down.